News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a harmonic balancer installer tool? Hit Advance Auto for free!

Started by Mfr426, April 09, 2009, 09:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

I just had a stroke of luck this AM. I've been looking for 3/4" fine threaded rod to make my own harmonic balancer install tool but can not source it locally. I happen to be in Advance Auto this AM and the guy mentioned he has a kit to remove AND install the balancer. I figured they had a remover but not an installer as well? If I buy the kit today I can use it for 45 days and then return it. Apparently this is part of their loaner program. I bought it ($95.00) and will return tomorrow. Not bad at all. I now have my neighbor (who works at a fastener company) trying to source me the rod so I can make make one for future engine work. At least I can now move on with my engine work on this long holiday weekend!!

Just thought I'd pass this along... :2thumbs:

62 Max

i assume you know you can install the balancer with the original bolt. :scratchchin:

terrible one

Quote from: 62 Max on April 09, 2009, 11:24:06 AM
i assume you know you can install the balancer with the original bolt. :scratchchin:

That's what I was about to ask about. All this time I was just planning on sliding the damper halfway or however far it goes on it's own and then just torquing it . . . that'll work, right?

471_Magnum

Quote from: 62 Max on April 09, 2009, 11:24:06 AM

You can, and I've done it before but that's not the proper way. Torquing it on puts a lot of stress on the threads and the bolt.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

FLG

Mfr426

Yep, with the worn original balancer using the factory bolt to install was no problem. However, I had a new balancer and a brand new crank and it was VERY tight from the very start. I could not get the bolt in to start and didn't want to use a hammer on a crank so this tool made it quite easy.  :rotz:

firefighter3931

A balancer installation toll is a good investment. I made my own with a piece of threaded rod and a large washer & nut...works flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 09, 2009, 07:57:26 PM
A balancer installation toll is a good investment. I made my own with a piece of threaded rod and a large washer & nut...works flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

Ron

And its way better than the beat it on method some people use.  :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

62 Max

Ron

Ron,correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't having an extra crankshaft bolt and washer be the same thing? :scratchchin:

471_Magnum

When you drive it on with the crankshaft bolt, you don't have many threads engaged initially.

Using the installation tool, or threaded rod, you have full thread engagement the whole time. It's pretty much impossible to strip anything that way.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

62 Max

Quote from: 471_Magnum on April 10, 2009, 05:33:08 PM
When you drive it on with the crankshaft bolt, you don't have many threads engaged initially.

Using the installation tool, or threaded rod, you have full thread engagement the whole time. It's pretty much impossible to strip anything that way.

Depends on the bolt.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 62 Max on April 10, 2009, 04:01:45 PM

Ron

Ron,correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't having an extra crankshaft bolt and washer be the same thing? :scratchchin:

Max, the idea is to place the load on the installation tool....not on the internal threads of the crankshaft. Basicly you thread the rod inside (the crank) and use the threads on the rod (or special tool) to push the balancer in place. The threaded rod bears all the load.  :yesnod:

It's the same idea as using head studs as opposed to head bolts. With headbolts the clamping force is transferred to the deck of the block when torquing the heads. With studs, the load is transferred to the stud and nut.

Fwiw, i banged a few on in my earlier days with a deadblow then realized how much stress i was placing on the thrust bearing. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rav440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 10, 2009, 06:28:12 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on April 10, 2009, 04:01:45 PM

Ron

Max, the idea is to place the load on the installation tool....not on the internal threads of the crankshaft. Basicly you thread the rod inside (the crank) and use the threads on the rod (or special tool) to push the balancer in place. The threaded rod bears all the load.  :yesnod:

It's the same idea as using head studs as opposed to head bolts. With headbolts the clamping force is transferred to the deck of the block when torquing the heads. With studs, the load is transferred to the stud and nut.

Fwiw, i banged a few on in my earlier days with a deadblow then realized how much stress i was placing on the thrust bearing. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron

well i guess that answers my question about using a BFH .  :icon_smile_big:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX