News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6.1L Crate motor tuning

Started by Johnnys70SRT, April 09, 2009, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys70SRT

Just trying to get my information together so when my car comes back, I'll be prepared.
I purchased the P5155067 crate motor from Mopar that comes with the wiring harness, AEM computer, and a cable operated throttle body. I have read and also been told that I will need to have the engine "fine tuned" by a tuner once I have the vehicle running under it's own power. Mopar only does a "Raw Tune" when you order it from the factory. I contacted AEM and they said they only provide the part to Mopar and nothing else. They told me to call Mopar Tech-line and get a list of tuners from them. So, I get a phone call from Mopar today and they gave me a phone number of a tuner in my area. I call the guy up and he says they specialize in Mitsubishi cars only and are not interested in tuning my 6.1L. I can't seem to find anyone that will tune this thing, even though I have called many tuners in my area. I've called AEM again and they told me it's not their problem, they only sell the part. Good to know they have such great technical support for those of us who spend money on their product.
Anyhow, I just wanted to ask if any of you (with the 6.1L conversion and an AEM computer) have had any experiences with tuners and where they might be located. Can the same people who are reprogramming the factory PCM's do this AEM style or not? I want someone that is experienced with the 6.1L tuning and not only the rice burners.
As always, I appreciate any help you can give me. Someday, I hope I can all of you as much as you have helped me already.

Rolling_Thunder

hmmm       got a lap top ?                     

The "raw tune" that mopar provides is generally decent but nowhere near the best available...   

Where are you located ?

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Rolling_Thunder

those do not work with the AEM controller....        those are for the stock PCMs used in production vehicles...

Honestly - the rough tune sent isnt THAT bad - your best bet is to just get a lappy and start playing with the tune - keeping the "stock" paramiters written down some where...    not 100% sure on the AEM controllers but most stand alone PCMs have control over full spark and fuel maps - those should be the only tables you need to play with unless you are dicking with the engine itself (stroker, supercharger, turbos...) - the a/f ratio will probably come around 14.7:1 - the spark maps will probably be close to ideal as the "rough" tune as far as i know is almost just a stock SRT8 vehicle mapping. - the spark can be toyed with along with fuel - I do know AEM controllers are pretty user friendly - a buddy of mine is running one on his Tacoma and can do all kinds of crazy sh!t with it - nitrous, water injection, knock inputs, and all that jazz...   

honestly your best option would be to play with it little by little...     see where you like it. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip