News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use "Procar" bucket seats?

Started by b5blue, May 18, 2012, 06:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Any experiences using these seats, in anything not just a Charger? I can buy this brand "bare" and am thinking of doing a set in B5 Blue for my 70.  :scratchchin:

b5blue

Thanks a bunch! Any pointers on how they convert to factory mounts?  :scratchchin:

71charger_fan

With my '71, I just had to drill a couple of extra holes in the seat-mounting portion of the factory track to get them in. However, that put the seat too close to the steering wheel. A friend of mine welded the floor section of the factory track to the seat-mount portion of the Scat track and they work fine.

b5blue

Just that point was what had me concerned, getting height and rake of the bottom correct.

Brent69

Ok, I know there are a few posts on these seats, but I thought I'd add some installation detail for the next guy that buys these.  My car is an early '69 so it did not come stock with the headrests.  I thought about keeping the original seats and adding headrests, but the costs just didn't make sense.  I could get the ProCar seats for less and have better side bolstering and a seat that reclines.  So far, I'm very happy with the look and the comfort.  Here are some tips for installation of these seats.

You can use the stock seat tracks on these seats, but it will take some modification of the tracks.  For one, the stock tracks use one bolt and one stud per track to mount the tracks to the seat.  The seats require two bolts per track.  You'll have to remove the stud, drill a hole in the right place for the other bolt.  You'll also have to buy some special bolts and spacers because the one that came with the seat won't be long enough.  In addition you'll also have to modify the wire that connects the two tracks together for the seat adjustment.  After all of this, once you get the seat mounted, you'll probably find that the seat doesn't go back far enough (I'm about 6'2") and sits too high. My legs hit the steering wheel and I have a small Grant GT wheel.

Save yourself the frustration and buy the mounting brackets and use the tracks that come with the seats.

INSTALLATION TIPS:
The seats nor the brackets come with bolts to mount the brackets to the floor.  Take one of the special nuts that holds the seat to the floor with you to Home Depot and get 8 grade 8 bolts, flat washers and split washers to bolt the brackets to the floor.  I believe it's 5/16 coarse by 1.5" but you should check.

Mount the bracket to the floor first.  Next, mount the rails to the seat.  Then, put the seat in and bolt it to floor mounting bracket.  Most of you are probably smart enough to figure this out on your own, but on the first seat I did, I installed everything to the seat first thinking it would just line up with the holes in the floor - no such luck.  It's much easier to do it the other way.

Here's hoping it saves the next guy a couple of hours and a couple of trips to Home Depot.

b5blue

Thanks a bunch, what style seats did you use?  :scratchchin:

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Brent69

Hey B5Blue,

I ended up using the Elite style seats.

http://www.procarbyscat.com/Products_Elite.asp

Purchased the seats, and later the brackets from Summit.

b5blue

That's the ones I like also. Got any pics?  :scratchchin: They will fold forward for back seat access right?

Budnicks

Here is my "still unfinished" 68 RR wit 1100 series Elite-51 ProCar/Scat Bucket seats & Mounts... I like them very much, very comfortable, nice side bolsters to hold you in the seat much better, nice adjustable head rests, they have seats that are more period correct with vertical stitching, adjustable head rests & less bolstering "Rally 1000" I think... I used the mounting brackets from ProCar very simple installation, got the seats & mounts/slides from Jegs a couple years back...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

b5blue

Thanks! Yep that's the ones I like, the Rally's don't look comfortable to me. I found you can get them not covered so I could have them done in B5 Blue to match my interior. Good tip about using their brackets to position them, it will save a lot of farting around.  :scratchchin:

Budnicks

Quote from: b5blue on June 27, 2012, 04:26:15 PM
Thanks! Yep that's the ones I like, the Rally's don't look comfortable to me. I found you can get them not covered so I could have them done in B5 Blue to match my interior. Good tip about using their brackets to position them, it will save a lot of farting around.  :scratchchin:
:2thumbs:  :cheers:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks