News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C restoration help

Started by 68RRFlyer, April 07, 2009, 11:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is in the right area, but I'm gathering info on restoring two A/C systems for a customer's 68 Charger and my 69 Charger.  The 68 is an R/T and I'd like to restore to stock but after talking with the owner, we may go the sanden compressor route but not entirely sure.  If I decide to send the compressor out and redo the stock system, I'd like to reuse the stock lines.  Question is, how do you restore them?  Some have holes in the rubber so I know they'll need to be replaced.  Do they make replacements or is it a matter of redoing the entire line?  I called Classic Auto Air several times and played phone tag with them, but it seems it may be VERY expensive to restore the stock system.  That's why the owner is leaning towards me replacing everything underhood with new and save the old stuff for a later time.

On my 69, I'll be upgrading to Bouchillon's kit most likely.  Looks like a nice alternative.  Thoughts?

Cheers  :cheers:     
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

John_Kunkel

A full-service A/C shop can replace the rubber lines while retaining the original metal ends. They cut the rubber off, weld new barbs on the original fittings and then crimp new hoses on them. The shop I use (Polar Bear in Sacramento, CA) has tig welding facilities so they can do lines with aluminum end fittings too.

Keep in mind that if the RV2 compressor is replaced with a Sanden, a method must be provided to cycle the compressor clutch; the original didn't control the system by cycling the clutch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

the Sanden compressor can be cycled with a simple relay set up...    not a major thing - but these will not look stock (obviously)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68RRFlyer

Yeah, I knew I needed to add the switch, and some of the kits out there have them included.  I'll check out a local shop and see if I can get them to fab up some lines.  I'm more concerned about the steel lines that run along the inner fenders and also the ones that connect to the compressor and if a shop and weld on new barbs, then I may go that route and rebuild the compressor.  I'll check into it.  What about the evaporator?  Do they make repro one's of those for 68-70 B-Bodys?  Thanks guys.

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

Rolling_Thunder

The evaporator box itself can be rebuilt - they make the complete gasket sets...    find them on Ebay.    The cores on A/C systems generally hold up alot better than heater cores - they can be purchased new (have seen them on E-bay) but they can also be fixed generally if a hole is present -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Corellian Corvette

Adapting the liquid line that was originally used is really easy. A little tougher for the larger line since you need almost a 1/2 tube for that.

The original lines are aluminum; not sure you want to use steel lines (e.g. no fuel line or brake line)