News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Were there multiple seat patterns for 68?

Started by Tilar, April 06, 2009, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

Below are the seats that are from my 68. In the 23 years I've owned this car, I just realised that it had two different patterns. (I've also never driven this car)

The new seat upholstery that I have has the same pattern as my back seat. Are the front seats maybe out of something other than a 68 Charger?  Sorry for the poor quality of picures, I took them with my phone.

Front back

Front Bottom

Rear seat back
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Brock Samson

that back seat is the '68 charger exclusive seat patttern,.. so it came out of a charger...

Tilar

I wonder what the front came out of and if the new front upholstery will fit?
Dave  

bull

Those might be the correct seat frames but not the vinyl pattern. If you've only owned it 23 years someone redid the front upholstery during the 20 years prior to you buying it. Do the front seats still have the hard backing on them?

Tilar

The backing was gone when I bought the car. I wish I had shot a pic of the frame after I removed all the old material. I'll get a pic of that this afternoon. I want to take the seat frames and get them sandblasted but I dont want to spend the money if they're the wrong frames.

Dave  

Back N Black

The front seats look like they are from a Roadrunner or Coronet. The frame are the same, just different upholstery.

Tilar

Great. At long as the frames are the same. Thanks   :2thumbs:
Dave  

doitmopar

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Tilar

Mine does too.  :D  Actually, my build date is June 24th, so I assume that would be considered a late 68?
Dave  

mopar_nut_440_6

I just checked my build sheet and code 53 is labelled "Headrest Left and/or Right and I have a value of 3 entered below the box which must mean LT and RT.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Charger-Bodie

I think they actually became available in January of 68.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

6bblgt

I was constantly told my '68 Charger had '69 seats in it because of the headrests.

It was an option available all year, you could even order them "Left ONLY" or "Right ONLY".

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Back N Black on April 07, 2009, 08:41:38 AM
The front seats look like they are from a Roadrunner or Coronet. The frame are the same, just different upholstery.

The heads rests look like they are from a '70.

Look on the seat frame for a metal tag. It will have the date code and that will help you narrow it down.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

By 1970 all the headrests were integrated.  I also can't say that I recognize that seat pattern by my admittedly crappy memory.  Are you sure they aren't the original frames and they haven't already been recovered once with some sort of aftermarket pattern?
As for 68 headrests, you could order them in 67 as well the same way 6bblgt says, both or left or right only.  It doesn't make sense they would skip a year but...