News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have pics/info of the rear lap belts on 68?

Started by Chargeraddict, April 14, 2009, 08:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

Hi guys, I dumped my old box of seatbelts out of the box finally and I have no idea which ones are for the rear. I bought the Xv front belts so I dont need the front ones..just curious which ones are for the rear. I have 3 short retractors and 3 short sections then a bunch of longer section with various clips/buckles..Thanks

maxwellwedge

Well - The fronts use a retractor on the outside front, a double belt on each side of the tunnel (1 buckle, 1 tongue further down) and the shoulder belts are totally unique so what ever you have left is for the back.

Usually 3 short ones and - I think 1 long double buckle on the drivers side of the tunnel (going by memory here). 1 short one by itself on both outsides. 1 short one gets combined with a long single (with a spacer) on the passenger side of the tunnel. Remember - the back seat provides belts for 3 passengers...the rest should be easy to figure out. There is a good illustration in the service manual in the body section - unfortunately it is not in the house at the moment. Hope this gets you started.

68r/t

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 14, 2009, 09:11:08 PM
Well - The fronts use a retractor on the outside front, a double belt on each side of the tunnel (1 buckle, 1 tongue further down) and the shoulder belts are totally unique so what ever you have left is for the back.

Usually 3 short ones and - I think 1 long double buckle on the drivers side of the tunnel (going by memory here). 1 short one by itself on both outsides. 1 short one gets combined with a long single (with a spacer) on the passenger side of the tunnel. Remember - the back seat provides belts for 3 passengers...the rest should be easy to figure out. There is a good illustration in the service manual in the body section - unfortunately it is not in the house at the moment. Hope this gets you started.

Did all 68 chargers get the shoulder belts or was it an option?

maxwellwedge

Not sure - I was going by memory on my '69 figuring a '68 was more or less the same.

bull

Quote from: 68r/t on April 15, 2009, 07:14:41 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 14, 2009, 09:11:08 PM

Option.

Chargeraddict

6bblgt

Quote from: 68r/t on April 15, 2009, 07:14:41 AM

Front shoulder belts were an option until 12/31/67.

They became federally mandated as of 1/1/68, at which point they became STANDARD equipment & the base price of cars were adjusted up accordingly.