News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5 speed manual transmissions

Started by Paul G, April 10, 2009, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

What problems would I run in to putting a 5 speed manual in place of the stock 4 speed?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ChgrSteve67

What year do you plan on putting it in?

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

firefighter3931

What 5 speed ? Richmond ? Keisler TKO ? Thay all require some modification to the trans tunnel from what i've read but the Keisler is supposed to be the least invasive.  :scratchchin:

Have you considered a Passon 4 spd overdrive ? Uses the stock trans case and linkage....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 10, 2009, 08:36:46 PM
Have you considered a Passon 4 spd overdrive ? Uses the stock trans case and linkage....

Ron

Have not heard of that one. I'll have to look it up. Will the shifter on a Keisler line up with the hole in the floor? I can swing a hammer to massage the metal for a little clearance, trying not too have to cut and weld.

I am thinking that a stock manual trans car would be a better fit than trying to stick a 5 speed in to an auto car. You think?

Long Island RT

Quote from: Paul G on April 10, 2009, 10:31:02 PM
I am thinking that a stock manual trans car would be a better fit than trying to stick a 5 speed in to an auto car. You think?

So does your car now have an automatic?
If your going from auto to manual - you will have to modify your trans tunnel no matter what (at least on a 2nd generation).
I put in a Keisler into a original auto 69 and it needed more than a little hammering.  It did come with a metal template that could be used to mount the shifter boot on a car that originally had a manual - along with an offset connector to bolt up to the original shift handle to properly line up to a 4 speed console.

I think if you already have a manual the tunnel "modification" is less.

1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Paul G

Quote from: Long Island RT on April 11, 2009, 12:05:08 AM

So does your car now have an automatic?

I dont have a Mopar right now other my DD Caliber. Sold my 73 Charger to make the move to Arizona. I Have been looking around for my next Mopar and want a manual trans in this one. I like the idea of using  a tall rear gear with an OD trans. Maybe even put a 5.7 Hemi in this one??? 

471_Magnum

On third gens, the Keisler/Tremec shifter will line up with the factory hole on a four speed bucket seat car. It is pretty much a bolt in. Second gens require mods to the shifter hole.

Keisler actually has a six speed set-up now as well, but it requires modification to the T-bar x-member. Definitely not a simple bolt-in.

If converting from an auto, you will need to install a four speed hump.

The Passon kit is definitely the easiest, least invasive way to get an OD, especially if you already have a manual trans car. The drawback is you are essentially making a 4 speed, a 3 speed plus OD. You can pretty much accomplish the same thing by installing a set of 2.73 gears. In certain applications (like a numbers matching track pak car), it's a very good option.

Lot's of options out there, just depends on what you want to spend.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."