News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get rope style rear main seal for 440

Started by Chatt69chgr, April 05, 2009, 06:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Anybody know where you can get these.  I seem to recall that one of the recent mopar magazines had an article on a company that had these now.

Chatt69chgr

Bump-------------I've looked at what all the local places have as well as 440 Source, Summit, etc.  No rope seal. 

Again---------does anyone know where these elusive items can be bought?  Or has everyone moved on to the rubber seals. 

firefighter3931

I haven't seen a rope seal in years. You might be able to find one that's been sitting on a shelf for years, but who knows what type of condidtion it will be in ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1969chargerrtse

The mag was Hemmings March issue of Muscle machines with the pink Challenger on the cover. Pro motion Engines at 973-884-5936. Best Gasket had a great Graph tite wick seal at 888-333-2378. Fel Pro 248-354-7700. Jim Taylor Engines. 908-213-3456. Good Luck.
If you go to the Hemmings site you can browse the archive section and view the March seal Article. You have to have a subscribtion to read the whole thing.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

RD

http://www.oreillyautoparts.com/EW3/DisplayTheParts.do?exactItemNumberIndex=0&didSearchFor=BS11748&bid=1239227687554&cycleCount=758

$7.99 at O'Reilly's w/o the shipping costs that rockauto hits you up with.  you can order it online and it will be delivered to your local oreilly autoparts store for you to pick up... or you can call your local oreilly's store and have them order it for you.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

It's interesting that Fel-Pro shows the rope seal fitting '58-'61 only when every factory big block left the plant with a rope seal, right up to the end of production.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

This is all of the info I asked for on the rope seal.  Thanks to all.

Hey firefighter3931.  Ron----------I get the distinct impression that you don't use the rope seal.  Could you elaborate on your experience in this area along with what you use.  Then I believe I'll have all the info I need to decide what I want to do.  Thanks.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 09, 2009, 07:02:19 PM
This is all of the info I asked for on the rope seal.  Thanks to all.

Hey firefighter3931.  Ron----------I get the distinct impression that you don't use the rope seal.  Could you elaborate on your experience in this area along with what you use.  Then I believe I'll have all the info I need to decide what I want to do.  Thanks.

Chatt, your impression is correct....i've never used a rope seal. Pulled lots of them out but allways use neoprene rear main seals upon re-assembly. As long as the crank surface is properly finished/prepped there are no problems....in my experience.  :2thumbs:

I never looked for an oem style rope seal so i wasn't aware that they were still being made.  :shruggy:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 09, 2009, 05:12:03 PM

It's interesting that Fel-Pro shows the rope seal fitting '58-'61 only when every factory big block left the plant with a rope seal, right up to the end of production.

i did a lot of research on this today at work (up to the point of calling fel-pro) and found out that they are calling for the neoprene seals in all the applications as the rope seal has been superceded.  I even found a NOS rope seal on ebay, took the mopar part number and did an interchange on it in the system.  It still brought up the neoprene seal kit.

i will be ordering in some of these rope seals tomorrow to check them out.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chatt69chgr

Thanks Ron.   The crank is a used piece out of a 69 New Yorker.  It has the hash marks on the rear main surface on the crank but they are well worn since the engine had approx. 100,000 miles on it.  Do you think I need to do any further clean up on the rear main seal surface or do you think it will be OK as is using the neoprene seal?

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 10, 2009, 11:41:39 PM
Thanks Ron.   The crank is a used piece out of a 69 New Yorker.  It has the hash marks on the rear main surface on the crank but they are well worn since the engine had approx. 100,000 miles on it.  Do you think I need to do any further clean up on the rear main seal surface or do you think it will be OK as is using the neoprene seal?

Can you use a speedi sleeve on it?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

oldkimmer

.................U can get a rear main bearing with angled groves in it from Mopar Performance...............kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!