News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion - power booster help

Started by ray230, March 23, 2009, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray230

:popcrn:OK, my disc booster from theramman arrived yesterday. I installed last night in less time than it took me to take the old one off. Everything fit perfectly! It was raining last night when I finished so I didn't get to drive it until tonight. The booster is working like it should, no rock hard pedal. It does take a little more effort that I thought it would for a really hard stop. I need to play a little with the F-R balance. Most importantly booster problems solved :2thumbs:

resq302

Any pic of what the rammans unit looks like?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

Quote from: ray230 on March 30, 2009, 07:20:52 AM
chargerguy 111

THe Auto Zone drum booster may have fit. The firewall side looked and measured ok, the booster side looked different but may have worked, I didn't try it. My concern was the amount of boost. I read and been told that it wouldn't be enough for discs. But I have heard some that have used drum boosters with a front conversion and were happy. I've ordered a disc booster from theramman. Let me know how it works out for you.

Enough boost for discs? I don't think there's any more pressure required to get disc brakes to work than drums. There are lots of Mopar guys out there running manual disc brakes so I would think any amount of boost would be fine.

And I'm glad you didn't cut a bigger hole in the firewall. If you were to cut anything I would have cut that "extremity" off the other booster.

ACUDANUT

I agree with BULL if we are on the same path of thinking here.  Couldn't you have just cut off that extremity.  It does not effect the Power Booster.

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 04, 2009, 11:36:08 AM
I agree with BULL if we are on the same path of thinking here.  Couldn't you have just cut off that extremity.  It does not effect the Power Booster.

Yup. The mounting bolts are what lines the booster up so I don't see a purpose for that protrusion other than to get in the way.

Charger-Bodie

Manual Brakes!! Ive love mine and wouldn't want power if you bought me all nos parts to convert it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 04, 2009, 04:00:04 PM
Manual Brakes!! Ive love mine and wouldn't want power if you bought me all nos parts to convert it.
Dang, you need help. haha. I converted my manual one to PFDB when I hit the brakes and my car took off the the left and it took 300 yards to stop.  Those front drum brakes are down right dangerous. :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 04, 2009, 06:53:33 PM
Dang, you need help. haha. I converted my manual one to PFDB when I hit the brakes and my car took off the the left and it took 300 yards to stop.  Those front drum brakes are down right dangerous. :yesnod:

I dont think I said anything about drums ......But, a properly adjusted set of 11x3 drum manual brakes will stop VERY well....Maybe not as well as my manual DISC brakes but  man dont knock it if you havent tried it.....All a power booster does is make less pedel effort..
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

I went through all of this when I was getting my booster squared away.  I had the correct booster that came out of a 69 C-body.  Only problem is that the rod is too long.  Prior Brakes in Texas not only rebuilt my booster but put in the correct length rod.  At the time, there was a booklet at the local Oreilly's that had all the rod lengths in it.  Guy at Prior told me that had the same info so knew exactly what length the rod had to be.  And did the whole job for about $90. That was a couple of years ago.   Three or so months ago, I was looking at the Autozone website and saw the exact booster needed for a 69 PB car.  I asked them if what was on the picture was what I would get and they said it was so I ordered it.  It was not correct.  I told them before I ordered it that I wouldn't take it if it wasn't like the picture.  Of course, it was a rebuilt piece by the imbeciles Cardone.  They think that everyone is OK with a functionally equivalent part.  Same game with master cyl.  At least you can get those from NAPA now that are correct.  Now you might order the listed booster part tomorrow and by the luck of the draw get the right one.  But it would be luck.  Of course, for four years now, Pirate Jacks has been listing their part PB8536.  It's a new booster and the exact one.  Only trouble is they never have it for sale.  Always some excuse.  They can offer 500 different Chevrolet boosters and can't provide this one to Mopar folks.     

ACUDANUT

Napa is alot more money, but they do offer the best correct parts, period. :Twocents:
Try fixing a 1970 F-600.  No one could come up any parts, except NAPA.

BROCK

I like my power assisted drums on my 70 & I like my power assisted discs on my 72. 
But my fave is a disc booster on a drum car!  My experience with a 71 GTX that had
this upgrade convinced me!  I'm a road racer, so performance accelleration as well as
decelleration are big parts of the equation for me :2thumbs:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 04, 2009, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 04, 2009, 06:53:33 PM

I dont think I said anything about drums ......But, a properly adjusted set of 11x3 drum manual brakes will stop VERY well....Maybe not as well as my manual DISC brakes but  man dont knock it if you havent tried it.....All a power booster does is make less pedel effort..
Got it.  My mistake.  I have only had PFDB with a booster.  I don't think I have seen Disc Brakes without a Booster. :scratchchin:

ray230

Quote from: resq302 on April 03, 2009, 10:47:03 PM
Any pic of what the rammans unit looks like?

Sorry, I wanted to get it on so bad I didn't take any pics. Check his web site though.