News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Used Viper or new Challenger

Started by Magnumcharger, April 05, 2009, 03:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats preferable, a used Viper, or a new Challenger for the same dough (roughly)?

Buy a used Viper
29 (45.3%)
Buy a new Challenger
29 (45.3%)
By a bicycle
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Foreman72

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on April 05, 2009, 07:59:08 PM
a buddy of mine cracked his viper's frame at 145 mph! :o

like it just broke or he hit the great wall of china?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Go Hogs Go

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on April 05, 2009, 07:59:08 PM
a buddy of mine cracked his viper's frame at 145 mph! :o

That happens when you hit stuff. :shruggy:
Go Hogs!

chargerhunter

I own neither one, but a friend just bought the SRT8, Manual I was told is the only way with the 6.1, I rode in it and it rode like a modern day muscle car, plenty of power, bells and whistles and you can now add a factory super charger so you can piss the Vette owners off!
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

moparstuart

this guy bought both a matching pair
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68charger383

I have the same line of thinking. I was checking out a new chally and crying about the cost and their mark up and then the dealer pointed to a 2004 viper with 17K miles and said, I'll sell you that car for $42K. Since then, I've been sharing in your dilemma.

I say go with the viper. If Chrysler is still afloat in the next two/three years, you'll be able to buy a used SRT-8 chally for a similar cost that a 2-3 year old Charger/Magnum/300 etc. is currently selling for these days.

I've purchased used sport cars in the past and found you can use them for a year and resell them without losing to much cash in the transaction. The key is buying an exceptionally low miles one so when you use and resell, it will still be low miles.

So buy and enjoy the viper. In a year/two the chally will probably be cheaper to buy new or you'll be able to buy a used one at a much lower price.  I think with the chally, time will only be your friend when buying that car :Twocents:

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Go Hogs Go

Go Hogs!

mopar0166

jb666

Ghoste

I had to go with new Challenger.  As cool as the Viper is (and I would love to,have one), at the heart of it I am still more of a musclecar guy than a sports car one.

Ponch ®

It depends on what you want it for. I've thought about this myself (hypothetically, of course).

From a balls out, cool factor perspective,  I'd go for the Viper. It's an attention getter, looks good, and it's cheap for the "super car" that it almost is. And yeah, it will probably be more collectible.
Now, don't get me wrong - I have a pretty big stiffy for the new Challenger, but I already see a ton of them every day (mostly SE's and R/Ts, but most regular folks can't tell / don't care about SE vs. R/T vs. SRT).

But in my situation, I'd be looking for a practical daily driver, and I suspect the Viper isn't one of those. The Challenger comes with a warranty, reliability of a new car, etc.

So for me the prudent thing to do (and likely) would be to get the Challenger. But I would REALLY rather have the Viper.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Magnumcharger

I does come down to practicality for part of the decision.
Then the other part is emotional.
I just cruised eBay and saw several reasonably priced Vipers there. Right now, they are likely at their lowest point price wise.
I love open cars, and have really been a huge fan of AC Cobras, Jaguar E-types and even some of the other, funkier British roadsters.
When the Viper came out, I couldn't believe my eyes! And I drove for many miles to see the first one in my home province, the RT/10 eventually bought by Teemu Selänne of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. I vowed that I'd buy one "some day". I bought EVERY magazine with an article on the Viper in that first year. I was obsessed. Yes, I still have my first 1/18 scale car...a Burrago Viper roadster.
Well, I found out - I'm not getting any younger. Time is slipping by. And after a cancer scare last year, I have to admit, I'm seeing that life is too short.

Now the Challenger on the other hand...
It's the Viper obsession all over again! I was just down at the local Dodge dealership a few minutes ago, on my way home from work. Friggin' beau-t-iful black R/T has me by the balls!
And my good woman has said if I want one...fill your boots.
I guess I've got the summer to make up my mind.
I told her I'll wait until she's back from her tour in Afghanistan before I commit to anything.
Meanwhile...I've got my Deora to fill in my off hours....and yes Eldon, a 1968 Charger R/T to finish too! :2thumbs:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Fitz73Chrgr

Personally, I'd probably go with the Challenger.  No offense to anyone who owns one & don't get me wrong they ARE cool cars, but people who drive Vipers just seem as if they're trying too hard for attention. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

TheGhost

Challenger.  But, then, I've never been much of a "supercar" fan...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on April 07, 2009, 04:42:11 PM
, but people who drive Vipers just seem as if they're trying too hard for attention. 

And people who drive classic Chargers aren't? :eyes:

Quote from: Magnumcharger on April 07, 2009, 04:32:59 PM
I does come down to practicality for part of the decision.
Then the other part is emotional.
I just cruised eBay and saw several reasonably priced Vipers there. Right now, they are likely at their lowest point price wise.
I love open cars, and have really been a huge fan of AC Cobras, Jaguar E-types and even some of the other, funkier British roadsters.
When the Viper came out, I couldn't believe my eyes! And I drove for many miles to see the first one in my home province, the RT/10 eventually bought by Teemu Selänne of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. I vowed that I'd buy one "some day". I bought EVERY magazine with an article on the Viper in that first year. I was obsessed. Yes, I still have my first 1/18 scale car...a Burrago Viper roadster.
Well, I found out - I'm not getting any younger. Time is slipping by. And after a cancer scare last year, I have to admit, I'm seeing that life is too short.

Now the Challenger on the other hand...
It's the Viper obsession all over again! I was just down at the local Dodge dealership a few minutes ago, on my way home from work. Friggin' beau-t-iful black R/T has me by the balls!
And my good woman has said if I want one...fill your boots.
I guess I've got the summer to make up my mind.
I told her I'll wait until she's back from her tour in Afghanistan before I commit to anything.
Meanwhile...I've got my Deora to fill in my off hours....and yes Eldon, a 1968 Charger R/T to finish too! :2thumbs:

Screw it dude...get the Viper. It's what you've wanted all these years. The thing about the Challenger is that once the fad passes and it becomes just another car (like the current Mustang), you'll be wishing you'd gotten the Viper.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

UFO

Quote from: Magnumcharger on April 07, 2009, 04:32:59 PM
When the Viper came out, I couldn't believe my eyes! And I drove for many miles to see the first one in my home province, the RT/10 eventually bought by Teemu Selänne of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team.
\

I believe this is the first one to arrive here.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Magnumcharger

Oh yes Brian, that's the critter! I was looking for my pictures of it!!! All of which are at home in boxes.
So you made the pilgrimage too, huh?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

UFO

Yea sure did,but I was 10 mins away from that dealership.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 07, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

The thing about the Challenger is that once the fad passes and it becomes just another car (like the current Mustang)

Or the PT Cruiser. Around here Cruisers were all the rage. We were told there was a six month waiting list for one. And now. . .
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ponch ®

Quote from: chargerboy69 on April 07, 2009, 08:34:52 PM

The thing about the Challenger is that once the fad passes and it becomes just another car (like the current Mustang)

Or the PT Cruiser. Around here Cruisers were all the rage. We were told there was a six month waiting list for one. And now. . .

Yeah, I remember when they came out I actually wanted one. Good thing I didn't get one. And in my defense, I was young (19) and misguided at the time.

mauve66

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 07, 2009, 09:52:16 PM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on April 07, 2009, 08:34:52 PM

Yeah, I remember when they came out I actually wanted one. Good thing I didn't get one. And in my defense, I was young (19) and misguided at the time.

did you want the woody package and baby moon hubcaps also????? :rofl: :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69 OUR/TEA

New chally or used viper,here's my answer,500' from the dealer on the test ride I knew I wanted it.They did a great job on this car,drives very tight and rigid feeling,airtight cabin even at 80mph, great gas mileage(6spd),and can carry four people!Also I like the fact of being the orig owner so nobody else beat the heck out of it,and with that you get the lifetime power train warr.Vipers are'nt usually driven easy,never been in one but heard they ride like crap,still way up there in $$$$$,and IMO are a little to corvettish for me.

maxwellwedge

I bought an '08 SRT and I LOVE it. It does everything you want a car to do...but....except for my love of original, correct "old" cars I am a rodder at heart. So I ordered a Diablo tuner, Corsa exhaust, 180 T-Stat and a new air box. Also changing the coils/shocks/struts and lowering it about an inch - I think they sit a smidgen too high. Most of the parts are in so I should be doing the mods in a couple of weeks. I'll let you all know the difference when done.

On the Viper - A friend of mine traded a Vette for a Viper a few years back. I asked him to tell me the difference in the 2 cars.

He said the Vette was a car you could jump in and drive coast to coast with in comfort. It was also very forgiving if you were giving it hell.

He said the Viper is a car he had to think about taking a trip over 100 miles with. Very crammed and uncomfortable after a while. He also stated that if you got on it and weren't ready it would bite your ass. He still loves it but put it down to it being a pure musclecar without the pure refinement of the Vette.

I would still take a Viper if you gave me one.  :icon_smile_big:

mikepmcs

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 10, 2009, 09:04:26 AM
So I ordered a Diablo tuner, Corsa exhaust, 180 T-Stat and a new air box. Also changing the coils/shocks/struts and lowering it about an inch - I think they sit a smidgen too high.

I guess we all have the same idea.  Care to share where you purchased all your gear from and the cost? Which Air box, etc....  I am looking to do the exact same thing.  Are you putting headers as well or just cat back.  I'm not looking at Corsa or Magnaflow though, I can't remember the manufacturer MDRP or something like that.  I like their sound better, and I also want to get electronic cutouts for the noise factor.  Still saving funds for these things though so it will be a little bit.
Still debating on the suspension though.  I was told by a very reliable source, no need for suspension mods at this time, for me personally anyway.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

maxwellwedge

I got my engine builder to order all this stuff for me - he gets good pricing.
The air box is C&L  cnlperformance.com   I am not going with headers - just the cat backs, mufflers and new tips. The 180 degree T-Stat seems to make a difference from what I have been reading. Great site is http://www.300cforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-156.html for discussing all these mods.