News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hard to start a warm 383

Started by JohnZepka, March 21, 2009, 09:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZepka

I have a 383 with a edlebrock carb.  In the morning when the engine is cold and the choke closed it starts up normal.  After the car has been running no matter how much or little gas I give, it just doesn't want to start.  I end up having to crank it for a while and play with the gas pedal to start it.  Any ideas?

resq302

Could be a couple things.  How hot is the car when you shut it off?  Might have an issue with vapor locking or boiling the fuel out of the carb.  Could also be that your timing is a little off when it is up to normal operating temps.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

SomeCarGuy

What is your timing set at?

Have you dialed the cab in?  It sounds like a fuel problem like what has already been said but if the carb isn't dialed in correctly it will cause problems as well. 

NHCharger

Had that problem with my 383/edelbrock. Moving the gas line away from the headers was a big help, I was boiling the fuel.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

moparjohn

Switch to a Holley, don't look back. Had the same problem , NEVER accured again since the switch, better performance to boot! JMO
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Musicman

It's called Hot Flooding... when you shut her down engine heat builds up in the carburetor, which can cause fuel to leak past the needles in the carb directly into the intake manifold, effectively flooding the engine. If the engine sits there long enough, the block will cool down and the excess fuel will evaporate in the manifold. This is why it starts great cold, or if you've only had it off for a minute when it's hot... but if you shut down a hot engine and let it sit for several minutes... now it will be flooded and won't start until you clear it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Musicman on April 08, 2009, 04:02:52 AM
It's called Hot Flooding... when you shut her down engine heat builds up in the carburetor, which can cause fuel to leak past the needles in the carb directly into the intake manifold, effectively flooding the engine. If the engine sits there long enough, the block will cool down and the excess fuel will evaporate in the manifold. This is why it starts great cold, or if you've only had it off for a minute when it's hot... but if you shut down a hot engine and let it sit for several minutes... now it will be flooded and won't start until you clear it.
I had that with my 396 Camaro pace car.  The problem was there was supposed to be a metal gasket that is under the carb but over the heat passage to warm the carb, so it always started flooded.  My Charger doesn't start flooded, it just cranks over longer when it's hot.  What would you suggest on a Mopar engine to stop that?  I'm hoping the fuel evaporator and hooking up the return line help.  If not the only thing I can think of is new a intake gasket that cuts off the carb heat passage.  Yes?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Musicman

As long as you don't have one of those old bimetallic coil spring operated chokes that relies on heat from the manifold to actuate it, then there is know reason not to block the heat crossover. Thermal spacers between the intake and carb can help as well. Thermal insulation on the fuel lines themselves isn't a bad idea either, especially near any high heat sources, including headers. These are just a few of the common remedies that can help.

b5blue

Sounds like "heat soak" I'm trying a blocked off valley pan with a 1/8 hole drilled in each side on my six pack. (I never had it as bad as you though)