News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

99 ford taurus engine issue, disappearing coolant, please help!

Started by moparguy01, April 13, 2009, 11:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

ok, the car is a 99 ford taurus with the 3.0 v6 engine. The previous owner overheated it bad and a mechanic they took it to said its a head gasket. the car has 46000 miles on it original. the car does lose coolant slightly.

heres what i have done found so far
-the coolant was a nasty rusty orange color
-there was obvious coolant spray over the engine as its covered with said nasty rusty orange color which has now been baked on.
-the spark plugs have all been pulled and look perfect, light tan in color, no signs of coolant there
-no sweet smell from the exhaust
- when hooking up a pressure guage to the system, it will hold the full psi for about 5-10 minutes, then lose pressure at the rate of roughly 1psi every 5 minutes

does anybody have any idea what could cause this? due to the coloring of the dried spray on the engine I would venture to guess radiator, but i found no visible leaks when the system was pressurized.

Please help!

Thanks in advanced fellas
Russ

Ghoste

I don't know that it is your problem but there was an issue with head gaskets on those things back around that time.

mopar_nut_440_6

If you run teh car with the rad cap off do you see any bubbles in the coolant. This is a sign of a head gasket problem.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

Might sound over simplified...radiator cap...had a ford that drove me nuts for the same reason...put in some bars leak too.What's the oil look like? 

moparguy01

oil looks fine, no coolant in there.i might just try a new radiator cap

ill check for bubbles in the coolant too. thanks for the advice guys!

moparstuart

check your overflow bottle they are pressurized on those and they are junk also . I sell them as fast as they come in .
they leak badly .  You can get new aftermarket ones at most parts stores for like  50-65 bucks 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

kab69440

My guess is a bad radiator. Since the coolant was so full of scale as to be orange, most likely it the rad full of loose crap. It probably only leaks when the car is up to temperature and under a lot of pressure, so you don't see it drip when parked. The scale and crap in the rad is what plugs off the pinhole(s?) when not pressurized. I've had this same scenario happen a couple of times.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Tilar

Quote from: moparstuart on April 14, 2009, 09:39:57 AM
check your overflow bottle they are pressurized on those and they are junk also .

:iagree:  You can also check the overflow bottle for air bubbles.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Neal_J

Those are notorious for head gasket failures.  Ask me how I know...

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.