News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Frame off resto"---can apply to Mopars now.

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 31, 2009, 01:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerhunter

Mike,

Not trying to start a pissin' match but GMC's and Chevy's for 67-72 were two different animals! GMC wanted their trucks portrayed as the "work truck" of GM and used rear leaf springs, the Chevrolet were like the Silverado of it's day. They used rear trailering arms and a panhard bar. Many times the frames cracked where the trailering arms attached because of the force put on them, you had a rear end on the Chevrolet that floated like an air biscuit with the trailing arms. A lot different than what this company is building..
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

bamadukefan02

I would bet the car would be stiffer than stock since that frame ties into the existing unibody instead of removing it.  If you cut out the whole floor pan and then tried to use that thing it might be trouble.  The way it is its almost like subframe connectors

Mike DC

. . . except that this new separate frame involves hacking away the stock subframe rails entirely. 

1970Moparmann

You have to give these guys credit though.  "We can build a frame in three days", and make like $6,000??  The reserve wasn't met at $4,500.  That's some good money.....  :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

BB1

Great Idea, I was wondering if that was possible. 
Delete my profile

Mike DC

A full frame is possible if you hack the car enough. 

But it's probably also possible to make a Charger into a helicopter if you hack the frame enough, too.  That doesn't answer whether it's a good idea or not.  Or whether you carried it out well or not. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one who sees some torsional twisting going on here, just from sitting on unlevel ground?

dodgecharger-fan

maybe. Or is it an optical illusion caused by the line between the concrete and asphalt cutting through the picture at an angle?

Maybe a bit of both.

chargerhunter

If you look at the distance between the front wheels and edge of asphalt you can see the chassis is sitting there at an angle, basically the two paving medias are playing with your eyes..

68 Charger 383/727

Doright

I thought there was a guy or company up in Canada? that was building cars with new reengineer frame mods and suspension upgrades with the new Hemi installed these guys up there had engineers working for them with mega bucks behind them.
Making Old cars new again. They took and found what our cars needed too handle and were even making kits for upgrades I thought?
They spent thousands of man hours figuring out true set ups for Mopars that work and work well.
I would use one of there set ups before even thinking about any one else's, They backed up there claims with real data and real world track testing as well.

It Takes a heck of a lot more than just some steal and a torch with Tube control arms to make any car handle properly whether it be for the street or the track. 
Regardless of what you read in the Rags.

I will keep mine just as MaMopar built it.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Mike DC

QuoteI thought there was a guy or company up in Canada? that was building cars with new reengineer frame mods and suspension upgrades with the new Hemi installed these guys up there had engineers working for them with mega bucks behind them.
Making Old cars new again. They took and found what our cars needed too handle and were even making kits for upgrades I thought?
They spent thousands of man hours figuring out true set ups for Mopars that work and work well.
I would use one of there set ups before even thinking about any one else's, They backed up there claims with real data and real world track testing as well.

You're referring to XV Motorsports.  They're for real. 

This frame is not one of their products.  They basically still use the stock factory unibody, they just change a lot of bolt-on stuff and weld some additional bracing to the factory chassis. 

This item seems like a suitable way to fix a rustbucket for a fun cruiser but it just doesn't look like a real performance improvement over the stock car. 

Blown70

Wow, remind me not to post pics of my 70 tube Chassis pro-street on this thread.....YIKES>... :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Blown70 on October 27, 2009, 11:41:27 PM
Wow, remind me not to post pics of my 70 tube Chassis pro-street on this thread.....YIKES>... :shruggy:

You can post it for my benefit. ;D I'm not a hater!

Blown70

Quote from: bull on October 27, 2009, 11:57:18 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on October 27, 2009, 11:41:27 PM

You can post it for my benefit. ;D I'm not a hater!

Seen before, but really a very heavily modifed car... eh....keep in mind before this happenend this car was totaled..... before all them there good parts were avial.....

chargerhunter

68 Charger 383/727

Charger440RDN

I like it!! looks like a lot of work though.