News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Frame off resto"---can apply to Mopars now.

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 31, 2009, 01:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BIRD67

::) Yeah, good luck there! I wouldn't even buy that for a Chebbie! Besides, what if someone wants to restore the car back to stock, how the hell will they do that with all the 2x4 steel tubes?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

captnsim

Um...ah...no way would I hack a car like that...to put that crappy frame in.   

bull

Quote from: captnsim on March 31, 2009, 02:12:38 PM
Um...ah...no way would I hack a car like that...to put that crappy frame in.   

Why not? What's the problem? People have been putting various car bodies on Corvette frames for decades.

Ghoste

The70RT

If you could save a car with rusted rails, why not.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

I'd go for an Art Morrison frame (involving non-original floors though) before I'd do that one.  That one looks like too little chassis stiffness for the bargain. 

mauve66

it won't be a "frame off RESTO' due to the fact that RESTORED means "taking it back to original" this isn't original................. it can however be RESTIFIED
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Aero426

That frame is the answer to a question no one is asking.   I don't get it.

bull

Quote from: DougSchellinger on April 01, 2009, 08:49:03 AM
That frame is the answer to a question no one is asking.   I don't get it.

Just because you're not asking it doesn't mean no one is.

Ghoste

If a car is rusty enough to need that abortion and it's worth saving, wouldn't it be worth doing properly?

moparstuart

looks like the boyd coddington way           RIP      :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

I like the idea.  :cheers:

Looking at the photos, I can see why some people would disapprove. It looks rough underneath, but it seems that it's just a test fit or a display to show the product. With all the aftermarket sheet metal available, it's not a bad idea to offer a chassis to put it on now. Sure it isn't correct, but then neither is the rack & pinion steering, the rear end, the Viper motor, & other stuff. I bet it's stronger than a stock set up & stiffens up the car immensely.

A lot of people are modifying older cars to make them more fun & comfortable to drive. If I had wanted to repair a car so badly rusted that the frame rails & floors all needed to be replaced, why would I spend the money replacing a stock set up if it rides like a 40 year old clunker? I'll consider that chassis under my Coronet convertible since ragtops sag in the middle when you jack them up. If you want stock, then obviously this is not the way to go, but I see it as a good thing.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

chargerhunter

I would do it to my non-matching numbers, ex-drag car, saw zaw diet '68 with '69 quarters...Charger. It was a fiberglass seat, motor, cage and body when I bought it..so what would this hurt.. :popcrn:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

bull

It's not just a frame, it's a "complete front and rear suspension, coil-over shocks and springs, cross drilled 13" rotors, 4 piston Wilwood calipers front and rear, aluminum Ford 9" center section rear-end with steel axle tubes, Mustang II power rack, front and rear splined sway bars, and all hubs are packed and ready to go." It already has a lot of items included that the mod guys like. I don't see myself ever going this route but I know there are lots of guys out there who would.

Mopar2Ya

Great more cut up Mopars, & w/Phord parts too.  :eek2:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

bull

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on April 01, 2009, 02:39:45 PM

Ford 9" rear ends are commonly found in many street rods and drag cars, not just Fords.

JR

And what exactly was the point of engineering a new frame for our unibody cars? Especially one that appears to have less structural ridigity than a wet noodle.

My brain hurts trying to make sense of this.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

That's where I'm coming from. 

I can understand the idea of a separate ladder frame for a B-body, but the particular one for sale in this thread does not look like it would be very torsionally stiff.

Old Moparz

How could it NOT be stiff?

There's a cross support in front of the engine bay, another below the engine, one at the center of the vehicle, one below the rear seat, one almost above the rear end housing, & one at the very end at the rear of the car.

That makes 6 if I can still count.  :D

Another thing is they show the original stock frame rails in parallel to the new frame. There is no way possible that can't be stronger or more rigid than an old, flexible uni-body car that uses sheet metal instead of a frame.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

chargerhunter

I have been looking at the Art Morrison frames where you basically cut the entire floor pan out and fab a new one after setting the body on, I like this design better. Seems rigid enough for me as long as that is 4" tubing.

x2 on attaching to the frame rails.

68 Charger 383/727

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: bull on April 01, 2009, 07:44:59 PM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya on April 01, 2009, 02:39:45 PM

Ford 9" rear ends are commonly found in many street rods and drag cars, not just Fords.
Very true. IMO, on a Mopar I'd use a Dana, there are lots of choices.
Quote from: JR on April 01, 2009, 10:33:21 PM
And what exactly was the point of engineering a new frame for our unibody cars? Especially one that appears to have less structural ridigity than a wet noodle.

My brain hurts trying to make sense of this.
Me also, I'd think an integrated frame connecting the existing unibody makes more sense. JMO.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

chargerhunter

This is their "basic" frame design, you can modify it to suit your needs. I would add a few supports across the frame as well, the 9" Ford, Dana 60, 8.75 rear whatever you want they will do..Cost wise the 9" Furd rear is hard to beat and bullet proof!  :Twocents:

68 Charger 383/727

Bobs69

My first response was "boy that's a good deal".  Considering an alterkation kit is a few thousand at least by itself.  It seams economical???  Meaning you get lots of goodies to go with it.

Mike DC

Crossmembers & thick parts do not make a frame stiff if the design basically doesn't lend itself to stiffness. 

You can look underneath any fullsize 1970s pickup and find a ladder frame that's plenty thick, big, and crossmembered.  But they still flex like hell. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The frame in the thread probably won't be terrible, but I still don't think it's really an optimal usage of the idea.