News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One more Wing Car in the Jackson, MS area!!!!!!

Started by CornDogsCharger, March 30, 2009, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

Now it makes 7 wing cars total in the Jackson, Mississippi area!  Six Superbirds and One Daytona.  My boss bought yet another Superbird.  Most everyone here is pretty familiar with this car too.  This is the car we recently talked about being sold off the dealer lot without a wing.  Don't worry, he won't step on any toes with this car.  He bought the Tor Red car out of Florida that has been on ebay for about 3-4 months.  He worked out a deal for the car this past Friday night and it arrived last night.  This afternoon I drove over to his house to look at it.  The car is nice, but it is definately a "driver" quality car. 

The car is Tor Red with Black/Silver interior, bucket seats, auto on the floor with a console, tic-toc-tac, numbers matching 440 and auto trans.  The car has an 8 3/4 that originally had 3.55 gears but now have 3.90s.  The previous owner bought the car in 1979 and 30 minutes after he bought it, he was hit in the driver side right at the hinge pillar.  The fender and the door were replaced.  It's hard to tell if the rocker was replaced but the brace that goes between the front frame rail and the rocker panel (emergency cable goes through) is still bent as is the frame rail.  You can also see where a section of the floor pan was replaced right behind the torsion bar brace. 

Luckily, the previous owner kept most of the original mechanical parts when they were replaced.  In the trunk was the original brake booster, master cylinder, and Carter carb.  Also in the trunk was NOS nose black-out tape, wing decal, and a pair of NOS parking light housings.  The car still has all of the original jacks and the spare looks like it has never been on the ground.  I'm a little confused about it though.  It has a non-Polyglass GT Goodyear 14 inch spare.  The rim looks like it in grey in color.  Is that common? 

All in all, this is a decent driver quality car.  It needs attention here and there but hey, it's a true wing car.  As of now, he does not have plans to restore the car... just do a few repairs here and there.  He needs to get rid of those later model ralley center caps and ditch the tinted windows!  But I love the 275/60 meat that are on the back!  haha!  Enjoy

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

richard pettys 73

NICE RIDE :drool5: AND DID YOU SAY HE OWNS MORE THAN ONE?????? :o SOME GUYS JUST HAVE ALL THE LUCK...OR MONEY AS THAT COULD BE :2thumbs:
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

Aero426

Here is the same car from 1978.  Original owner drove it from Melbourne Fla to Milwaukee for the DSAC national meet.    He was a travelling salesman and put a lot of miles on the Bird as his daily driver.

CornDogsCharger

Doug, why did I already know that you would have a vintage picture of this car?  Thanks a lot!!!!  Show me more if you have them.  Do the wheels and tires look correct to you?  Would 14in white walls be right?  As of now, we have not found the build sheet.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: richard pettys 73 on March 30, 2009, 09:28:52 PM
NICE RIDE :drool5: AND DID YOU SAY HE OWNS MORE THAN ONE?????? :o SOME GUYS JUST HAVE ALL THE LUCK...OR MONEY AS THAT COULD BE :2thumbs:

Yes, this is his second Wing Car.  I am currently restoring his other car.  You can follow the restoration here.... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43102.0.html  He also has a sky blue '66 Coronet 440 Conv poly 318/auto and a plum crazy purple '70 Coronet R/T with 440/4bbl, ramcharger hood, 18 spline 4spd, dana. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

oldcarnut

Nice looking car.  The wing trunk supports look a little different or maybe it's the angle.   Is one of them bent?

CornDogsCharger

They are different.  They appear to be some sort of modified bumper brackets.  Since this car was sold new without a wing it did not have the supports.  The 2 different brackets that were welded to the floor pan and trunk gutter are correct like they should be.  They appear to be the originals too.  When the owner found a wing for the car I guess these support brackets were made up.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

pettybird

did you get the rest of the A/C setup?  i'd keep that in a heartbeat if i lived in Mississippi...

dads_69

Quote from: DougSchellinger on March 30, 2009, 09:46:22 PM
Here is the same car from 1978.  Original owner drove it from Melbourne Fla to Milwaukee for the DSAC national meet.    He was a travelling salesman and put a lot of miles on the Bird as his daily driver.

Wow, who would have thought I'd see a photo like this years later. My dad was there for some reason at that time, he took a photo of a SuperBird there, that has to be it, he was driving the green/white Olds next to it there. I have a photos somewhere myself of it hopefully.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: pettybird on March 31, 2009, 10:29:12 AM
did you get the rest of the A/C setup?  i'd keep that in a heartbeat if i lived in Mississippi...

We might hook it back up once we collect the rest of the needed parts.  As you can see in the photo, the under-dash unit is still there.  The compressor is in the trunk in a box.  Not sure if all of the brackets are there.  The condinser and hard line to the firewall I know are missing.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

69bronzeT5

Tell him to paint the engine compartment and then leave it alone! :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: dads_69 on March 31, 2009, 11:16:40 AM

Wow, who would have thought I'd see a photo like this years later. My dad was there for some reason at that time, he took a photo of a SuperBird there, that has to be it, he was driving the green/white Olds next to it there. I have a photos somewhere myself of it hopefully.

Mark

Hey Mark, I would love to see those photos if you can find them.  I'm sure everyone else here would like to see them too!  Thanks

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

GL#10

Corndog

So which one is the boss going to let you drive to the local car shows ????

K.c

n9671x2

What is the story of it coming without a wing?   Maybe I missed that post.   Mine had never had the wing installed when purchased either.   Supports were in place, but top of quarter never drilled.   Buyer opted to save the money by not buying the wing they were trying to sell him with the car.   I met the original owner in person last summer and got the whole story.   Just curious about what you know of a similiar situation with the car your boss just bought.

pettybird

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 31, 2009, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: pettybird on March 31, 2009, 10:29:12 AM

We might hook it back up once we collect the rest of the needed parts.  As you can see in the photo, the under-dash unit is still there.  The compressor is in the trunk in a box.  Not sure if all of the brackets are there.  The condinser and hard line to the firewall I know are missing.

Justin
"CornDog"

time for a new Sanden compressor setup and keep the underdash stuff...

dreamcatcher

I have a question about this car.I noticed the paint under the hood being flat black.Also flat black on the latch tray.All the cars I have seen to date are painted the body color under the hood and the latch trays are more of a gloss black.Which is right?Or did they come both ways?
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Aero426

Quote from: n9671x2 on April 01, 2009, 06:12:21 AM
What is the story of it coming without a wing?   Maybe I missed that post.   Mine had never had the wing installed when purchased either.   Supports were in place, but top of quarter never drilled.   Buyer opted to save the money by not buying the wing they were trying to sell him with the car.   I met the original owner in person last summer and got the whole story.   Just curious about what you know of a similiar situation with the car your boss just bought.

The original owner stated that the dealer removed the wing.  He was told was that it was somehow damaged while it kicked around the lot for six months or so.  There is a photo of the car at a local display in 1970 with the wing still in place. 

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: dreamcatcher on April 02, 2009, 08:48:07 AM
I have a question about this car.I noticed the paint under the hood being flat black.Also flat black on the latch tray.All the cars I have seen to date are painted the body color under the hood and the latch trays are more of a gloss black.Which is right?Or did they come both ways?

The car did not originally come that way.  The previous owner said that the original owner (1970-1979) painted the engine bay with a GM type trunk splatter paint.  I think that it was more recently repainted.  After the car was wrecked in '79 a Coronet driver side fender and door were installed and the bolts that mount the fender are also coated.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: DougSchellinger on April 02, 2009, 09:01:45 AM
Quote from: n9671x2 on April 01, 2009, 06:12:21 AM

The original owner stated that the dealer removed the wing.  He was told was that it was somehow damaged while it kicked around the lot for six months or so.  There is a photo of the car at a local display in 1970 with the wing still in place. 

I would be willing to bet that the wing was either stolen off the car while it was on the lot or it was sold off the car.  It's hard to believe that the tough aircraft aluminum was damaged so bad that it had to be removed.  I would like to see the wing-less photo of the car.  The previous owner is supposed to be mailing a few old pictures to my boss.  The other day he mailed us the original dealer invoice!  That was pretty cool.  He traded in a '68 Chrysler on the car!  What a big step up.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee