News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopars cant make power?

Started by r_biccum, March 30, 2009, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r_biccum

OK.. I argued over and over, but this guy wont let up. He works at a reputabe engine building shop and tells me it is virtually impossible to get an honest 500 horse out of a mopar big block. He says it takes a $10,000 investment to get a real world 500 horse on a dyno.. Can anyone post proof otherwise? I know he is ful of sh*t.
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

defiance

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37136.0.html

That build is well under $10k.  You could add a stroker kit and ported (maybe even max wedge) heads+intake and a more aggessive cam, and I bet it would still be under $10k. 

I don't know for sure, though.  I built mine piece by piece over a period of 2 years or so, so I honestly don't even want to know how much I spent :P :D

One thing he's generally right about, though; it's more expensive with mopar.  Just facts of life. 

RECHRGD

It's easy to do for not alot of money.  Just click on the engine, transmission section.  At the top you'll see a Proven Engine Combo section.  Just print that out for his reading pleasure.   :yesnod: :yesnod: Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Must be a Chevy guy.  :D  Every SB chebby guy i know claims to make 500hp but can't break into the 12's so what does that tell ya.  :lol:

Take a look in the proven combo's forum....there are lots of 500hp + builds in there along with dyno numbers.  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

r_biccum

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

Ghoste

If he can't get 500hp out of a big block Mopar for a reasonable price then I'd be finding a new engine builder... immediately!

r_biccum

Yeah, hes not my builder,he did my brother in laws chebby... Guess that is an answer all in itself isnt it....
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

tan top

Quote from: r_biccum on March 30, 2009, 12:41:33 PM
Yeah, hes not my builder,he did my brother in laws chebby... Guess that is an answer all in itself isnt it....

yeah makes sence CHEBBY guy  :yesnod: :coocoo:    :icon_smile_wink:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mefirst

My old 440 engine gave 550Hp with a bone stock Six-pack bottom end (well ok, cylinders were .60 over), Edelbrock Rpm heads (Not ported), Weiand Team G intake and a mek. cam. Comp. 10.5:1

Thats well under 10K

-What a stupid ..... for even saying that you cant get +500Hp under 10K from a Mopar...

/Tom

Foreman72

Quote from: Mefirst on March 30, 2009, 03:02:06 PM
My old 440 engine gave 550Hp with a bone stock Six-pack bottom end (well ok, cylinders were .60 over), Edelbrock Rpm heads (Not ported), Weiand Team G intake and a mek. cam. Comp. 10.5:1

Thats well under 10K

-What a stupid ..... for even saying that you cant get +500Hp under 10K from a Mopar...

/Tom

.6 over is a bit less then stock sir :smilielol: its all good...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

maxwellwedge

Even if it was .60 over and the pistons were rubbing against each other and the anti-freeze was flying everywhere it would still make 550 HP!   :nana: :smilielol: :cheers:

Mike DC

The price of the parts on a build reflects how much the OEM's mass production helps out the engine builder.

But what has to be DONE to a given motor, brand-for-brand?  That's a whole different story. 

Take a 500hp Mopar BB and a 500hp chevy BB, and compare how many aftermarket parts & extreme procedures it took to accomplish it . . .

68pplcharger

That guy is an idiot... My uncle just put together a 0.030 over 440 with Edlebrock RPM heads and torker intake and it dynoed at 527 hp. No work done to the heads...  out of the box. Ran 11.80 missing third gear in a 70 Superbee.

Mefirst

Oops. -Sorry, I meant .060 or what ever the measurement you guys use, over there in the colonies :nana:

And to add a little napalm to the fire. That 440 ran 13sec flat with busted up cylinders, 7 stuck piston pins, not to forget an intake lobe on the cam had disintegrated and the lifter looked kinda sad to. I lifted the throttle way before the 1/4mile finish line AND I still beat the Chevy (+500Hp CBB) running in the other lane :D

/Tom

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mefirst on March 30, 2009, 08:43:56 PM
Oops. -Sorry, I meant .060 or what ever the measurement you guys use, over there in the colonies :nana:

And to add a little napalm to the fire. That 440 ran 13sec flat with busted up cylinders, 7 stuck piston pins, not to forget an intake lobe on the cam had disintegrated and the lifter looked kinda sad to. I lifted the throttle way before the 1/4mile finish line AND I still beat the Chevy (+500Hp CBB) running in the other lane :D

/Tom

:smilielol: :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Incidentally, what does this Chevy clown mean by "real world 500 horse on a dyno"?  I'd guess that would have to be different from the desktop dyno computer simulation written by Chevy fans, for Chevy fans, and about Chevy engines?

oldschool

does not sound like a reputable shop to me,or at least that guy.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

375instroke

Who cares?  All Mopars suck.  Everyone knows that, or should know that.

How the hell did these cars turn into investments?  These cars were great when they were new, they were great when they were 20 years old, and nobody wanted them, and they are still great, with plenty of power to back up their styling.  I just want the prices to keep coming down so I can buy more.  F*** flippers and the Barret-Jackson crowd.  Why does everyone insist that the Mustang was the first of its segment, and that the GTO was the first muscle car?  How can anyone argue that a '62 through '64 Max Wedge with a hood scoop many times bigger than the GTO's, isn't a muscle car that could blow a GTO into the weeds?

Challenger340

Quote from: r_biccum on March 30, 2009, 10:23:57 AM
OK.. I argued over and over, but this guy wont let up. He works at a reputabe engine building shop and tells me it is virtually impossible to get an honest 500 horse out of a mopar big block. He says it takes a $10,000 investment to get a real world 500 horse on a dyno.. Can anyone post proof otherwise? I know he is ful of sh*t.

HUH ?? 

Geez, thank the guy for his "Valuble Opinion", and WALK AWAY !

Here's one for ya.
And YES, it was well under 10K, and runs on Pump Premium, with a Solid Flat Tappet ( NON ROLLER ) Cam.

But, apologies, this one was 575hp and 582 Torque, a little more than his "honest 500 hp", but then again, maybe we could pull a plug wire for him ?

And it's been down the "Route 66" tour in California twice now I think ? , driven all the way from Alberta Canada ?

see here on the 2 nd page;

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23089.20.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

r_biccum

:smilielol: "pull a plug wire for him"  :smilielol:

Cant wait till I actually have the motor in my car.. Hopin even my mild 383 will eat his stroked chebby 383, wich he says makes a dynoed 492 horse...
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

badass

Id tell him to DYNO THIS for an honest 500 :lol: AND then wipe the results off his bow tie. :smilielol:
mopars best **** the rest

74Rallye

OK, I think I know what the Chevy mechanic is talking about.

Unknowing customer has Chevy mechanic build Chrysler engine for $5000.
Chevy mechanic screws up everthing he touches.
Engine has to go to a MOPAR mechanic and everything the Chevy mechanic touched has to be replaced.
That's another $5000.

Been there, Done that, but on a smaller scale. Chevy mechanic defended his work by saying "Well them Chryslers are different"

acelondon

Chevy guys talk big cause their shit cant run with our daily drivers. I beat a brand new corvette with my lexus at the track. 1992 SC300 aka supra with no turbos. Thats kinda sad. beat by an import. I mean my I6 auto killed his $104,000 chebby. what a joke. He would have beat my charger, but thats cause its so rusty if i stomp the gas the engine will leave the car.

But i bet my 318,727 and rear end would beat him to the finish with out the car! :nana: