News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door locks won't work. How to adjust?

Started by A34, March 29, 2009, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A34

Hey Guys,

I put new lock cylinders and outside door handles on my car, and discovered they don't lock. I can lock them with the keys, but when I push the door handle button, the door opens as if it isn't locked.

How do I adjust this out? I'd like to drive to work, but don't want to leave it in the parking lot unlocked, or the gas station.  :scratchchin:
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Back N Black

mikepmcs

He's got a 69 I believe.

I need more info to help on this one.  Ferrules might need adjusting(too far down, making it impossible to push the rod, etc...)

Rod unconnected, rod needs adjustment, etc....

Also if it locks with the key, you can still take it to work, just lock it with the key.  I understand though, you're in there now and don't want to tear it apart again.

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

A34

Deo Vindice

UFO

You have to lock it with the key.
Can't just push the button down and close the door.
It's a great safety feature you only have worry about locking your keys in the trunk.

mikepmcs

:lol:

Learn something new everyday.

I never have tried to lock my 69.  I leave the windows down and the keys in the ignition for the most part. :icon_smile_cool:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

A34

Quote from: UFO on March 29, 2009, 11:41:12 AM
You have to lock it with the key.
Can't just push the button down and close the door.
It's a great safety feature you only have worry about locking your keys in the trunk.

Let me clarify. When I lock it with the key, and then try and open it, it opens. The lock knob raises, it doesn't stay in the locked position. I don't know if that an adjustment issue, broken part issue or what. I know you have to lock it with a key. I LOVE that feature !  :2thumbs:
Deo Vindice

UFO

Let me clarify. When I lock it with the key, and then try and open it, it opens. The lock knob raises, it doesn't stay in the locked position. I don't know if that an adjustment issue, broken part issue or what. I know you have to lock it with a key. I LOVE that feature !  :2thumbs:
[/quote]

OK I guessed you were trying to lock it by just pushing the button down.
There's not really much to adjust in there.Short of a bent rod.
First I would do as posted earlier a check the button-is it hitting the pad? as in not moving the link down far enough.
Could be just full of grime.A good cleaning and re lubing can do wonders
Did they lock before the handle change?

Back N Black

The piece in the pic below, if not adjusted correctly will cause the problem. I had the same issue, it will connect 2 different ways, hard to explain. I will see if i can dig up a couple more pics.

A34

Quote from: Back N Black on March 29, 2009, 05:19:06 PM
The piece in the pic below, if not adjusted correctly will cause the problem. I had the same issue, it will connect 2 different ways, hard to explain. I will see if i can dig up a couple more pics.

Thanks !
Deo Vindice

UFO

The bonus of a forum.Eventually you will find someone who had and fixed a certain problem.

A34

Anymore input on how the locks should be adjusted? I'm gonna try and tackle it over the weekend. Thanks !  :2thumbs:
Deo Vindice