News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona clone...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, March 28, 2009, 08:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Just a picture of my Daytona clone project from yesterday.  (3/27/09)

The fitting and fabrication are done.

It goes to my friend's shop in a couple of weeks for hours and hours of body work, primer, blocking, sanding and a nice shiny coat of B-5 blue.  :coolgleamA:

Stay tuned  ;)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sweet....is that a factory sunroof car?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FJ5WING

Nice!

man what I wouldnt give for that driveway let alone the garage. :'(

Dave
wingless now, but still around.

oldcarnut

Looking good  :2thumbs:.  I can't hardly wait to get mine even close to that stage.

A383Wing

Looks good...  :2thumbs:

Wish I had taken a bit more time on mine when we did it...we were under the gun to make the Aero Reunion in '99

mopar_nut_440_6

That looks really good. I can't wait to see it finished!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

hotrod98

Looking good. Can't wait to see it in living color.  :drool5:
I've been working on my clone some as well. I've spent part of the last two days repairing the electrical gremlins alone. Slow...slow...slow.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 28, 2009, 08:28:09 PM
Sweet....is that a factory sunroof car?

The sunroof is a transplant...From a 1970 Dodge Charger.   :2thumbs:

No ! I didn't cut up a '70 sunroof car !

But I bought the sunroof and a bunch of other parts from a guy that did.  :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: FJ5WING on March 28, 2009, 09:23:39 PM
Nice!

man what I wouldnt give for that driveway let alone the garage. :'(

Dave

You should have seen how pretty that concrete was before I started parking my rusty old junkers on it and making all of those nasty rust stains.  ;)

Daytona R/T SE

A few more...

mauve66

those pics explain it , he has TWO garages.........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: mauve66 on March 28, 2009, 11:24:44 PM
those pics explain it , he has TWO garages.........................

SSHHHHHH!!!!  ;)

billssuperbird

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks guys!  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Here's a couple of pictures of what I started with way back in '95...

It's an F8 Green '69 R/T SE 440, auto on the floor, A/C, AM 8-track  :coolgleamA:

mauve66

you used a R/T car instead of a plain jane 318/383 car??? watch out for the r/t owners..............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

moparstuart

Quote from: mauve66 on March 29, 2009, 08:42:42 AM
you used a R/T car instead of a plain jane 318/383 car??? watch out for the r/t owners..............................
back in 95 a green car like that was a throw away     :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Daytona R/T SE

Yep ! an R/T SE !!! ;)

After all-that's what Creative Industries did...Take "Real" R/T's and make Daytonas out of them. :angel:

In my opinion it's the only way to make an accurate replica. ;) :D

There's an elite club on this site that has cloned their Daytonas from original R/T SE's... :2thumbs:

Not just anyone can join...you have to convert an XS29 Car with the A47 on the fender tag. :buff: :hack: :nana:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on March 29, 2009, 08:50:56 AM
back in 95 a green car like that was a throw away     :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ain't that the truth !

Back when I bought this car I paid $1500 for it. Pretty solid car, and it came with a bunch of parts. But back then $1500 was TOP DOLLAR for an F8 project car like this...

I was just going to fix the rust, do a color change to B5/white, drop in a 440 /727 out of an old Imperial I had and drive the damned thing...

Somewhere along the line things went sideways... :brickwall: :P :scratchchin: :faint: :cryin: :smash: :blush2:

mauve66

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 29, 2009, 09:04:13 AM
I was just going to fix the rust, do a color change to B5/white, drop in a 440 /727 out of an old Imperial I had and drive the damned thing...

Somewhere along the line things went sideways... :brickwall: :P :scratchchin: :faint: :cryin: :smash: :blush2:

yeah i know what you mean, sometimes the simplest plans are what mess you up, going on 16 years now :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: mauve66 on March 29, 2009, 09:07:12 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 29, 2009, 09:04:13 AM

yeah i know what you mean, sometimes the simplest plans are what mess you up, going on 16 years now :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Hang in there !  :coolgleamA:

You'll get it !  :cheers:

BigBlockSam

nice lines . good to finally see it on it's feet ,  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69charger2002

man that car is looking GREAT! can't wait to see it splattered with paint
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

1969chargerrtse

Wow, that is fantastic, how much more time do you think you'll have in it?  Done in a year, 5 years?  Awesome.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hotrod98

There's an elite club on this site that has cloned their Daytonas from original R/T SE's...  :2thumbs:

:icon_smile_big:

I just keep wonderingif I should have left the SE emblems on the sail panel. I thought that maybe it would look a little better with the Charger emblems, but now I'm not so sure. Would be a little difficult to change back now.

What did you decide regarding the sail panel emblems?

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

mines an se , not an r/t . i guess i can't be in you guys club   :pity:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

We took a vote. You're in the club.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 29, 2009, 11:00:52 AM
There's an elite club on this site that has cloned their Daytonas from original R/T SE's...  :2thumbs:

:icon_smile_big:

I just keep wonderingif I should have left the SE emblems on the sail panel. I thought that maybe it would look a little better with the Charger emblems, but now I'm not so sure. Would be a little difficult to change back now.

What did you decide regarding the sail panel emblems?

The SE emblems are going back on, along with the R/T emblem between the tailights  :coolgleamA:

I think one or two of the original Daytonas escaped Creative Industries with their R/T emblems still on the tail light panel...So mine will have it too, besides it just looks cool!  :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 29, 2009, 03:54:10 PM
We took a vote. You're in the club.  :icon_smile_big:

Larry, You DID get Rene's initiation fee AND his first month's dues in CASH...Didn't you?  :nono: :poke: :moon: :wave: ;) :rofl:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 29, 2009, 10:39:16 AM
Wow, that is fantastic, how much more time do you think you'll have in it?  Done in a year, 5 years?  Awesome.

1-2 years after it's painted....I hope  :scratchchin:

It would go faster if the Ol' Lady would get another job !   :hah:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 29, 2009, 06:21:11 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 29, 2009, 10:39:16 AM

1-2 years after it's painted....I hope  :scratchchin:

It would go faster if the Ol' Lady would get another job !   :hah:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BigBlockSam

1-2 years after it's painted....I hope  scratchchin

over-under

if i was a betting man , my money would be on the over .  :D

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 29, 2009, 09:57:06 PM
1-2 years after it's painted....I hope  scratchchin

over-under

if i was a betting man , my money would be on the over .  :D

Me too.... :eek2:

But I can dream, can't  I ??? ::) ;)

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

hotrod98

I think it will come together a lot faster than you think. Getting past the painting stage is the biggest hurdle.

It has been a difficult decision as far as what emblems to use on my cloner. My quarter R/T emblems looked like new, but the tailpanel emblem was a little rough. I found the regular style tail panel emblem at the St. Louis show last fall so I'll probably use it. As of this weekend, I've been  seriously thinking about painting the wing gloss black like the car and not using the Daytona tail stripes.  That way it won't say Daytona anywhere on the car.

There are so many options for a clone. And, I really would like for this car to look like a clone rather than an accurate re-creation. I can always go back in and add the stripe and paint the wing semi-gloss black later.

Today I managed to get the ignition switch working, the new taillight harness installed, the courtesy lamps working and the dimmer replaced in the dash so I made some progress.

My 68 Roadrunner that I just acquired is coming mid week so I hope I don't get too tied up with it next weekend. I would like to get more accomplished on the cloner. The goal is....headliner, package tray, back glass, console and possibly windshield. And, maybe paint the wing and the decklid.

I planned to install the disc brakes, but I don't know what proportioning valve to use. Anyone have a 69 pv for sale?  ;D

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Here's a pic that I copied form this site at some point in time of a black hemi car without a tail stripe. I always thought that it looked kind of ba-dass.
Anyone know who owns this car?

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 29, 2009, 11:49:14 PM
I think it will come together a lot faster than you think. Getting past the painting stage is the biggest hurdle.

I sure hope so, Larry. I want to drive this thing before I'm too old  :faint:

The guy I bought my disc brake kit from said to use a proportioning valve off of a late model Jeep Cherokee  :shruggy:

As you can see I'm not that far along, but that's what the guy said-It's worth a shot. :shruggy:

hotrod98

The brake kits that these companies are selling are a joke. They don't tell you what pv to use or which lines to order. I just opened the kit that we bought for my brother-in-law's car last year and it has a corvette master cylinder, a cad plated 8 or 9 inch booster, a hemi style booster bracket with no firewall seal and a cheesy adjustable valve with no safety switch built into it. I can't beleive companies can sell an item like this when there is so much liablity involved. It's been too long now to send it back. I get tired of buying crap. They advertised it as a mopar brake system. The instructions for the valve say to adjust it until the rear brakes quit locking up. WHAT?? That's insane.  :flame:
I may just rebuild the drum brakes on the cloner and install a new booster and m/c from the local parts store rather than deal with junk.

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 30, 2009, 12:31:34 AM
The brake kits that these companies are selling are a joke. They don't tell you what pv to use or which lines to order. I just opened the kit that we bought for my brother-in-law's car last year and it has a corvette master cylinder, a cad plated 8 or 9 inch booster, a hemi style booster bracket with no firewall seal and a cheesy adjustable valve with no safety switch built into it. I can't beleive companies can sell an item like this when there is so much liablity involved. It's been too long now to send it back. I get tired of buying crap. They advertised it as a mopar brake system. The instructions for the valve say to adjust it until the rear brakes quit locking up. WHAT?? That's insane.  :flame:
I may just rebuild the drum brakes on the cloner and install a new booster and m/c from the local parts store rather than deal with junk.

I've seen those big, rounded Corvette style master cylinders on a lot of Mopars lately. Seems to be the "New" thing  :shruggy:

To me they just look out of place.

The kit I bought is just the front brakes-spindles, rotors, calipers, etc.

No M/C

No prop. valve.

No booster.

Nothing.

After I got it I found out it is just the front brake set up off of an '85 Chrysler Fifth Avenue :shruggy:

My original 11" power drums all the way around are looking pretty good to me, too.

I'm also sick of buying stuff that I later reject. :brickwall:

I've bought several things for this car twice, maybe even three times, and still wound up having to modify the shit out of the parts, or just giving up and making the parts myself. :brickwall:

I've got a lot of left-overs :flame:

Look for my "Discount left-overs" swap space this year at Monster Mopar in St. Louis

:brickwall: :brickwall::brickwall:

1970Moparmann

One of these days, I would love to do a Daytona clone!  Looking good... :2thumbs: B5 Blue, one of the best colors!!! :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

PocketThunder

Hey i see my car in the background!   :drool5:   :icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 01, 2009, 11:57:41 AM
Hey i see my car in the background!   :drool5:   :icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_big:
you think everything is your car or truck   :D :D :D

Daytona R/T SE

Paul,

Did you mean the '70 Charger that's loaded on my trailer, ready for it's trip to the

crusher, or ...

Did you mean the '72 Imperial that's being prepared for the demolition derby?

I'm gonna need my BIG hammer to bash all of the glass out of it   :scratchchin:

pettybird

why, is one leaking antifreeze?   :nana:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 01, 2009, 05:43:52 PM

Paul,

I'm gonna need my BIG hammer to bash all of the glass out of it   :scratchchin:

Hey!!! Dont even get me going like that!!   :o   :o

I'm getting ready to break ground on a detached 2-car garage for my Charger and i can maybe sneak the Imperial in on the other side some night and maybe my spouse wont even notice.  :scratchchin: 

Quote from: pettybird on April 01, 2009, 08:21:07 PM

why, is one leaking antifreeze?   :nana:

Ya Ya Ya, the world is full of starving comedians and your cracking jokes..   :icon_smile_blackeye:    :lol:   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Paul,

Did you mean the '70 Charger that's loaded on my trailer, ready for it's trip to the

crusher, or ...

dont crush my car , we had a deal

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on April 01, 2009, 08:59:35 PM

Paul,

crusher, or ...

Let's hurry up and make the trade, Stuart.

I'm itching to crush something, it doesn't make me any difference if I crush my '70

500, or if I trade it straight across for your '69 500 and crush it instead.

C-R-U-N-C-H !

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 01, 2009, 08:36:09 PM

Paul,

I'm gonna need my BIG hammer to bash all of the glass out of it   :scratchchin:

Hey!!! Dont even get me going like that!!   :o   :o

I'm getting ready to break ground on a detached 2-car garage for my Charger and i can maybe sneak the Imperial in on the other side some night and maybe my spouse wont even notice.  :scratchchin: 

Are you sure your wife won't notice it? I just got through getting her ready for the Demo.

It might be a little tough sneakin' it up the driveway with the flames shootin' six feet up out of the stacks.

I jerked that boat anchor 440 out, sold it to some Mo-power idiot for $50.  :hah:

Boy was he a dumbass.  :smilielol:

I REALLY screwed him!  :lol:

Said he was "Gonna drop it in his 'Cuda"  :shruggy:

I said "That sounds to me like it sure would hurt" :eek2:

Then I dropped in my good 350 with the four bolt main outa grandpa's Silverado, it's the good one. It's a '76 ! :drool5:

'Pa said I gots to have the motor back in the truck monday morning, so he can drive Grandma to town for her scurvy treatment. :pity:

Little brother torched the holes in the hood for the exhaust stacks, he got 'em a little crooked the first time, but we just wallered'em out a little bigger, now everything fits fine. :2thumbs:

I soaked the inside of that there Imperial with diesel fuel for a few hours, then tossed a match to burn out the insides-Sure beats the hell out of unbolting the seats and taking the dash out, saves a bunch of time! :yesnod:

'Course I bashed all the winders out first, just so the fire could breath. :coolgleamA:

Car stinks a little like burnt leather now, but we'll clean 'er up REAL good with that case of Vintage BRUT colonge I gots sittin' on my front porch left over from my disco days. :apimp:

She'll smell real purty then. :girlfight:

Gotta go ! The first coat of rolled-on latex house paint is about dry...Gotta go over to the sister's place, get a little lovin' and see if she's got any mobile home roofing tar left over from the last time we coated her roof of her trailer.

Gonna use it to spell EAT ME down the sides of the Imperial....Gonna put it on with an old mop oughta spell it out REAL good. :smoke:

PocketThunder

You had me going untill you said you were gonna use a mop to spell EAT ME.   :scratchchin:  If you would have said EET ME i might have fell for it.

hotrod98

You got me to thinking.
I started looking at my R/T emblems and I think I've decided to forget the tail stripe and put the quarter and tail panel R/T emblems back on the car. My qtr emblems are perfect and I can repair the tail panel emblem. Should give the car a distinct look. I'll paint the wing glossy black.
Now I just wish that I hadn't welded up all of those holes.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 01, 2009, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 01, 2009, 08:59:35 PM

Paul,

crusher, or ...

please dont crush em     save em    :smilielol:    i'll take it

Let's hurry up and make the trade, Stuart.

I'm itching to crush something, it doesn't make me any difference if I crush my '70

500, or if I trade it straight across for your '69 500 and crush it instead.

C-R-U-N-C-H !
please dont crush em     save em    :smilielol:    i'll take it

mauve66

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 01, 2009, 10:56:21 PM
Are you sure your wife won't notice it? I just got through getting her ready for the Demo.

It might be a little tough sneakin' it up the driveway with the flames shootin' six feet up out of the stacks.

I jerked that boat anchor 440 out, sold it to some Mo-power idiot for $50.  :hah:

Boy was he a dumbass.  :smilielol:

I REALLY screwed him!  :lol:

Said he was "Gonna drop it in his 'Cuda"  :shruggy:

I said "That sounds to me like it sure would hurt" :eek2:

Then I dropped in my good 350 with the four bolt main outa grandpa's Silverado, it's the good one. It's a '76 ! :drool5:

'Pa said I gots to have the motor back in the truck monday morning, so he can drive Grandma to town for her scurvy treatment. :pity:

Little brother torched the holes in the hood for the exhaust stacks, he got 'em a little crooked the first time, but we just wallered'em out a little bigger, now everything fits fine. :2thumbs:

I soaked the inside of that there Imperial with diesel fuel for a few hours, then tossed a match to burn out the insides-Sure beats the hell out of unbolting the seats and taking the dash out, saves a bunch of time! :yesnod:

'Course I bashed all the winders out first, just so the fire could breath. :coolgleamA:

Car stinks a little like burnt leather now, but we'll clean 'er up REAL good with that case of Vintage BRUT colonge I gots sittin' on my front porch left over from my disco days. :apimp:

She'll smell real purty then. :girlfight:

Gotta go ! The first coat of rolled-on latex house paint is about dry...Gotta go over to the sister's place, get a little lovin' and see if she's got any mobile home roofing tar left over from the last time we coated her roof of her trailer.

Gonna use it to spell EAT ME down the sides of the Imperial....Gonna put it on with an old mop oughta spell it out REAL good. :smoke:

yur sista got anothr sista???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 02, 2009, 09:15:09 AM
You got me to thinking.
I started looking at my R/T emblems and I think I've decided to forget the tail stripe and put the quarter and tail panel R/T emblems back on the car. My qtr emblems are perfect and I can repair the tail panel emblem. Should give the car a distinct look. I'll paint the wing glossy black.
Now I just wish that I hadn't welded up all of those holes.  ;D

Larry, That should look pretty good.  :scratchchin:

Oh and put the damned SE emblems back on your car already...

Got a drill?

GET BUSY!!! ;)

hotrod98

In order to put the SE emblems back on, I would first have to weld up the holes where the Charger nameplates are now. That would mean some welding, filling, priming and painting on that brand new black paint job. I'll wait until the last possible minute to drill the holes for the R/T emblems, just in case I change my mind...again.
Hey, at least the black paint is starting to look good to me. And to think that I almost painted it red.  ;D

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteHey, at least the black paint is starting to look good to me.

i'm glad you see that now . :2thumbs:

man! that's gonna be a killer ride

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 03, 2009, 12:22:54 AM
In order to put the SE emblems back on, I would first have to weld up the holes where the Charger nameplates are now. That would mean some welding, filling, priming and painting on that brand new black paint job.

Oh, yeah that would be tough to do. For some reason I thought you had deleted the sail panel emblems altogether :shruggy:

I guess I need to read AND comprehend  ;)

Daytona Guy

Very very nice - it will be one of the best clones done.

hotrod98

I agree. B5 is the best color out there. I love my B5 blue cars.
Can't wait to see this one in person at the St. Louis wingcar show.  ;D

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Daytona Guy on April 07, 2009, 11:55:26 AM
Very very nice - it will be one of the best clones done.

Thanks Dane!  :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 07, 2009, 12:43:02 PM
I agree. B5 is the best color out there. I love my B5 blue cars.
Can't wait to see this one in person at the St. Louis wingcar show.  ;D

Larry, I'm hoping it will stand out with the white interior, white wing and the sunroof  :2thumbs:

I thought long and hard about what color to paint it, V2 keeps coming to mind, but I think that's one of the more common Daytona colors out there.( If ANY Daytonas can be considered "common") You don't see too many B5 Daytonas though, so that's what I'm going with...

Maybe I'll make it to St. Louis by '10???

Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

WingCharger

Had you not painted your car B5, thats probably what I would be dreaming of today. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: The sunroof too. Oh well, back to Moonlight Blue. :D