News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

White Sunvisor Question on White/Black Interior Cars

Started by TUFCAT, March 27, 2009, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Here's something that's been bugging me.

My 1967 Coronet has black and white interior. The seats, door panels, armrests are white....but the carpet, seatbelts, dash pad, headliner, and rear shelf is black.

So far everything is normal....but are my visors SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE?  Right now they're black, and I wonder if that's "correct".

Finding 100% pristine white sunvisors was a huge undertaking, but finally I found a perfect set.

Here's the dilemma:

Does anyone know for sure if the visors were supposed to be white ...or black to match the headliner?

What do you prefer? Even if I install the white ones, I'll still keep the black visors that are original to the car.

69bronzeT5

It's hard to say. I'm thinking black to match the headliner. :yesnod: You're right, finding 100% pristine white sunvisors is a huge undertaking. Fortentley, with a bit of elbow grease, mine came out mint in my Duster :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 27, 2009, 10:14:56 PM
It's hard to say. I'm thinking black to match the headliner. :yesnod: You're right, finding 100% pristine white sunvisors is a huge undertaking. Fortentley, with a bit of elbow grease, mine came out mine in my Duster :2thumbs:

Not only is it a huge undertaking to find...but they're also expensive! :eek2:  Good thing yours turned out nice. :yesnod:

bull

Like Cody said they should match the headliner. White visors on a black headliner would look screwy.

TUFCAT

I just got a PM from a member who owned a 1967 GTX convertible (white/black tu-tone interior, and white convertible top) with white sunvisors!

Is this only true for convertibles?  Now I'm really confused. :brickwall:

bull

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 27, 2009, 10:55:51 PM
I just got a PM from a member who owned a 1967 GTX convertible (white/black tu-tone interior, and white convertible top) with white sunvisors!

Is this only true for convertibles?  Now I'm really confused. :brickwall:

What do you mean? His visors still match his top. :slap:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71ChallengeHer

Wanna get really confused? My 70 Barracuda GC had a white headliner and black sun visors.  :rofl: :rofl:

UFO

I think they should match the headliner.
Is the black headliner the original one?
Not positive with a '67 model but shouldn't the seats and headliner match?
The two tone being carpet and dash pads.

mauve66

my 66 was an original interior car when i got it and has the white seats, sun visors, door panels and rear window trim but the front window trim, headliner, seatbelts and carpet was black

i did buy a white set of replacement sun visors about 10 years ago.............. i think i got them from legendary but its been awhile, why are you having a problem getting white ones??? or were you looking for original not repops??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TUFCAT

Quote from: UFO on March 28, 2009, 11:11:38 PM

In this case the black headliner is the original one. An interesting question is whether a white headliner was available on 1967 Coronets?

Does anyone know if white headliners were availabe on 66/67 Chargers? or GTX? How about later years?

EDIT: Mauve...I bought originals. Also thanks for that info on the black headliner/white visors on your Charger.

mauve66

i do have to clarify that the trim around the headliner front to back is also white, that's probably why the visors are white as they bolt to it, the only front window trim is the inside A pillar that is black
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

TUFCAT

I explained this dilemma to my Dad who stopped over today....

For the record, he worked for interior/seating engineering for 37 years and retired in 2002.

I figured who's better to ask??  I showed him the white sunvisors. He doesn't know about this thread....and said without hesitation that black sunvisors are correct for my car.

He also said that 1966-67 Belvedere/Satellite/GTX convertibles might be an exception since the sunvisors are clearly visible with the top down (and should match the seats).

Convertibles not withstanding, depending on the year and model my Dad said it's probably more likely to see a white headliner with white sunvisors than a black headliner with white sunvisors. Unless the inside trim around the windshield and "A" pillar is white.

This is especially true after 1967 when chrome interior trim moldings were getting phased out in favor of painted metal and injected plastic molded trim.  A good example is 1970 and up (Ebody) or 1971-up (B-body) that had plastic molded A pillar moldings in any interior color available...

Anyone with white/black interior combos please post.  I think this thread is informative if you own a white interior car.

Also, for kicks I think I'll email my Dad this thread.  :icon_smile_wink:

EDIT: I told him about Mauves 1966 Charger...he said Chrysler PUT A LOT OF MONEY into the 1966/67 Charger to make the interior unique......and white headliner could be correct on 1966/67 Chargers that were ordered with white interior. :icon_smile_wink:  Mauve - I'll post some pictures of my headliner/sunvisors very soon for comparison to your white ones... Thanks to mauve66 :cheers:

Thanks, Tuf.

mauve66

i understand the idea, 1st gens were always the weirdos i guess............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

UFO

Hey Tufcat, You have a source like that and your asking us!!!
We should be asking you to find the answers. :lol:

TUFCAT

Quote from: UFO on March 29, 2009, 07:15:13 PM
Hey Tufcat, You have a source like that and your asking us!!!
We should be asking you to find the answers. :lol:

Sorry guys, but this is what happens.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable....then I ask my Dad..... I get the information, and I ask others....find out he's usually right.......and end up fixing my mistake.  :eek2:

I should really know better. My Dad is a volunteer at the Walter P Chrysler Museum....I  guess he knows what the hell he's talking about.

Still, Chrysler did some wierd stuff so more examples won't hurt.  :2thumbs:

UFO

[/quote]

Still, Chrysler did some wierd stuff so more examples won't hurt.  :2thumbs:

[/quote]

Definitely ,Just because it was supposed to be done a certain way doesn't mean it was.

69fuchs

my 67 coronet was a black and white interior car, black headliner, black sunvisors.

I have owned the car since 1986, and it had original interior and paint when I bought it.  It also has the chrome interior a pillars.

Ghoste

Tuffy, my 67 Charger has a white interior with white sunvisors.  The headliner is black but the fastback Chargers have those fiberglass headliners, it's kind of a unique appearing interior.

A383Wing

I have an original 66 Charger with white/black interior....seats, door panels, sail panels, arm rests, & sunvisors are white.....

Carpet, dash, dash pad, & headliner are black

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 27, 2009, 10:01:35 PM
Here's something that's been bugging me.

My 1967 Coronet has black and white interior. The seats, door panels, armrests are white....but the carpet, seatbelts, dash pad, headliner, and rear shelf is black.

So far everything is normal....but are my visors SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE?  Right now they're black, and I wonder if that's "correct".

Is this only true for convertibles?  Now I'm really confused.

According to the parts book, visors and headliners are color keyed to the interior code. Convertible visors are a different part and are also color keyed to the interior, not the top color.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 28, 2009, 11:18:31 PM
Quote from: UFO on March 28, 2009, 11:11:38 PM

In this case the black headliner is the original one. An interesting question is whether a white headliner was available on 1967 Coronets?

No. White headliners were not available on 67 Coronets.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

TUFCAT

69CoronetRT - that was GREAT information! Thanks for posting.  :2thumbs:

Based on the parts book, the correct sunvisor and headliner usuge for Charger and Coronet should be as follows:

Coronet 440, 500, R/T hardtop:

Black sunvisor/black headliner used with interior colors: black (X), white and black (W), also gold and black (E). This is true for all hardtop models with the exception of Coronet 440 (n/a with gold/black interior).

Blue (B), copper (K), and red interior (R) used matching colored sunvisor/headliner combinations on all Coronet hardtop models. 
Note:  neither white sunvisors, nor white headliners were ever offered on any Coronet hardtop model.

Coronet Convertible:

White sunvisors were used for Coronet convertible models with white and black (W) interior.  Also, gold sunvisors were used on gold and black (E) interiors, also for Coronet convertible models only.

Charger:
Black sunvisors/black headliner used on Charger with (X) black interior only.

Every other Charger interior had matching sunvisor/headliner combinations such as blue (B), red (R), copper (K).

Gold sunvisors were used on gold and black (E) with gold headliner.

Unfortunately, the chart does not show what color sunvisors were used on Chargers with (S6W white/black interior)! The chart does show they used a black headliner. Members have indicated the sunvisors are white.

nellibells2009

my 66 charger interior is white except carpet,headliner and dash are black

ODZKing

Quote from: nellibells2009 on March 14, 2015, 08:51:53 AM
my 66 charger interior is white except carpet,headliner and dash are black
My 67 is the same, black carpet, dash, headliner, kick panels, seat belts, console, and steering column and visors are white.
My 73 is white with black carpet and dash, console, steering column and visors are white.