News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fiberglass hood supports

Started by sound5262, March 26, 2009, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

just got to thinking about what is going to hold up the hood when i get to that stage. i'm cloning a '70 rr into a 'bird and going with a fiberglass hood. anybody got some good ideas on what to use. i would appreciate some pics and help. thanks steve

moparstuart

use regular hinges and light duty springs like the AAR's and T/A 's do .   :Twocents: :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BPTRacing

I was going to say a long bungee cord back to the wing would hold it up,  :o

but Stuarts idea sounds much easier!  :2thumbs: LOL

I specifically ordered the "bolt-on" style glass hood rather than a "pin-on", just so I could use the original hinges. Worked well for my 71 Charger hood with the T/A - AAR lightweight springs, and that hood was about as long/heavy as the bird hood.

Scott
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

moparstuart

Quote from: BPTRacing on March 26, 2009, 02:55:43 PM
I was going to say a long bungee cord back to the wing would hold it up,  :o

but Stuarts idea sounds much easier!  :2thumbs: LOL

I specifically ordered the "bolt-on" style glass hood rather than a "pin-on", just so I could use the original hinges. Worked well for my 71 Charger hood with the T/A - AAR lightweight springs, and that hood was about as long/heavy as the bird hood.

Scott
well if you got the pin on hood you could have used that big towel drying rack out back to set it on .   :D

mauve66

any place that is selling the light weight springs?? my glass hood goes up and down pretty well with the stock springs but i don't know if i'm pushing my luck or not, the hood does have a full perimeter shell for strength
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BPTRacing

Quote from: mauve66 on March 26, 2009, 03:08:03 PM
any place that is selling the light weight springs?? my glass hood goes up and down pretty well with the stock springs but i don't know if i'm pushing my luck or not, the hood does have a full perimeter shell for strength

If I recall, I got mine from Year One  - its been a long time ago.

Keeping the hinges well oiled also help to keep from damaging the hood. I was surprised at how much less force was needed to close the hood once the hinges were cleaned and lubricated.
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

moparstuart

Quote from: mauve66 on March 26, 2009, 03:08:03 PM
i have seen several glass hoods bow on the sides from the bigger tighter springs ,  besides ripping and tearing out the hinge .   

superbirdtom

gads my airgrabber s-bird hood is so heavy I put another set of smaller springs in the middle of the factory ones to keep it up. if I make another one it will be fiberglass all the way.   up22.com has low tension springs.

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on March 27, 2009, 12:06:10 AM
gads my airgrabber s-bird hood is so heavy I put another set of smaller springs in the middle of the factory ones to keep it up. if I make another one it will be fiberglass all the way.   up22.com has low tension springs.
so far my air grabber SB hood stays up fine with the stock springs 

superbirdtom

the difference between ours is that mine is made from a roadrunner hood and yours is made from a coronet hood.   A roadrunner hood is an inch wider than a coronet hood in the front so I had to slice the sides from the rear of the hood from zero to 1 half inch a side in front. then that means that the side structure is gone and I had to shove angle L steel in between the top sheet metal and bottom structure. this added enough weight that the factory springs do hold it up. when I washed it the soap lubed up the hinge joints enough that the hood would fall . and I got my hand slammed once and that was it. double springs.