News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Few charger questions so I can get it on the road

Started by wayfast1500, March 25, 2009, 08:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

I thought I would need some brake lines since when I stepped on the brake the peddle went to the floor and stayed there.  Today for the first time I drove my charger around my driveway to get it in the new parking spot, and the brakes grabbed and stopped the car.  I was not going fast, and they did not grab until it almost went to the floor so Im thinking a master cylinder, or pads?  Also I have a 904 with colum shift, in order to get the car to crank I have to either play with the shifter in park or put it in neutral.  I know there must be a safety switch in there, but can I drive the car like that and not get stranded?

wayfast1500

Also, the door locks work but seems like theres some pins frozen or the cylinders junk because my key wont work in the door locks.  I know they arnt keyed any different so its not the wrong key.

71ChallengeHer

Did you  check on the inside of your wheels to see if any of them were wet with brake fluid ? If so wheel cylinders.

BigBlackDodge

Look for leaks and bleed the brakes. MC may be shot.

BBD

wayfast1500

Yea I didnt see any leaks when I moved it, it was sitting in the same spot for about 2 months, but I'll check it tomorrow.  Honestly I'd rather change a master cylinder than run new lines.   

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

What makes you suspect the brake lines; are they rusty?  If there were no puddles under it then I'd start by checking the easy stuff first.  If it sat in the same spot and the brake fluid level went down then there should be a wet spot someplace.

wayfast1500

The previous owner said a line was blown but I think it just has air since the brakes did grab.

Ghoste

1969chargerrtse

If there are no visible leaks from the lines or wheel cyl's, and the M/C is full then the M/C is leaking inside it's self.  When you press down the fluid is bypassing the seal and just heading back to the reservoir and not to the brake lines.  If you replace the M/C make sure you bleed it first, you can do that on the car or clamped in a vise.  If you just add fluid to it you will be pushing air into the entire brake system.

As for the start issue there is a safety switch, I would think on the column or on the outside of the trani.  Kinda sounds like it is working but the there needs to be a small adjustment so when the trani is in park or neutral it starts all the time.  I don't think you will ever get stuck, you can just wiggle it near the gear position to get you going until you make the adjustment.  In an emergency there are easy ways to jump it out.  You just need to know how to do that?  Some jump a wire to ground, some others may have 2 terminals that you would jump to each other.

As for the locks, my new Ford truck has lock issues where they bind up and you can't use them.  I shot WD 40 in there and kept turning the key and shot more in, and now all the locks are fine.  If they worked before give that a try as it beats taking things apart. 

Good Luck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.