News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing brake back plate

Started by runningman, March 24, 2009, 07:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

So I am working on getting my suspension apart on my 68.  Is there a trick to getting this plate off?  Looks like it is held on with 4 bolts, three of which are not moving at all.  I have been spraying with penetrating oil...time for a little heat??  Thanks

Matt

b5blue

runningman

Drum brakes, not sure on the size though

b5blue

Mine are 10 drum and the 2 "top ones" hold the plate to the spindle and the bottom (bigger ones) also hold the lower ball joint. You have "unloaded torsion bars" by backing off the adjusters in the lower control arms right? If not the torsion is stopped by the upper control arm at the bump stop and the lower (larger) bolts are still being pulled down by the torsion bars force!   

runningman

I have the torsion bars adjusters turned all the way out, I am just waiting to get my remover tool from a buddy here at work before I remove them.  I got the one out on the bottom right (driver side) but the others don't even turn with an impact on it.  I'll take the bars out and try it again...thanks

matt

b5blue

The nuts won't come off? You may want to pop the ball joints off the spindle and bench the assembly!

runningman

Got the nuts off  ;D The bolts also come out correct? or are they part of the back plate assy?

b5blue

Yup they come out! soak them in PB Blaster and try getting them to spin with an impact, they are probably corroded in place. They should be be very snug fitting. If that don't help put the nut on the ends flush with the end of the bolt threads and give them some good smacks with a hammer and keep shooting with PB Blaster....are they off the car?

runningman

Everything is still attached to the car at this point, I will work on it tonight and see how it comes out.  I am sure these have never been off the car before..

b5blue

You want to pop the ball joint bolts loose wile they are on the car...do you have those tools?(they really help)

runningman

I don't have the "proper" tools yet.  I sounds like most people are getting this stuff apart without them so I figured I would give it a try.  I wasn't able to get the ball joint apart yet but do have the driver side suspension off finally.  I still can't get the bolts out of the damn spindle though, I will keep soaking with kroil and maybe end up heating them up a little to see if I can't break them free.  I will have to stop by Mancini's and get the correct socket to remove the ball joint though once I get that to break free.  Thanks for all the help!

Matt

b5blue