News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery cables

Started by Hemidog, March 24, 2009, 03:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

terrible one

Those are the cables I bought. Look at his other items and find them cheaper though if you can. He makes multiple listings with them with different starting prices. i got mine for $45 or 50 not too long ago I think. However, I was told that they aren't correct for a '68 because of something about them . . . maybe someone will chime in? Definitely quality pieces in my opinion. The concourse correct ones I've seen are like $200.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Hemidog

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 24, 2009, 05:32:17 AM
http://www.amhightechauto.com/
So that's the same guy that sells them on ebay? they look the same.
I think they are correct enough for me, will not spend $200+ when these look just as good.
Thanks for the tip TO.

maxwellwedge

Guys - Those cables are not even close to looking right (first post). Those are way later Chrysler replacements....totally different looking than originals. If you don't really care buy them at a auto parts store or at the dealership.

gasoline_24

Anybody have picture of the originals v. these so I can see the difference?

maxwellwedge

What year, model, engine? Let me know and I will post an original.

Hemidog

For a 69 b-body with a big-block, I'm guessing that Chris has the correct cables:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32950.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

The positive cable in that auction is basically correct....the negative cable is wrong....no extra lead for a 69.

I got my cables about 6-7 years ago & they were the most "correct" at the time....Im sure there are better ones out now
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

terrible one

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 24, 2009, 02:34:40 PM
The positive cable in that auction is basically correct....the negative cable is wrong....no extra lead for a 69.

I got my cables about 6-7 years ago & they were the most "correct" at the time....Im sure there are better ones out now

That's what I was thinking! Looking at the pictures on the HT Auto website the Ebay cables look pretty close, contrary to what maxwellwedge suggested. Still, I see that I would be in $300 for a set of batter cables vs. the $55 or so. No knocking HT Auto or Bill at all, just that I'm not a concourse guy.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: terrible one on March 24, 2009, 05:04:44 PM

That's what I was thinking! Looking at the pictures on the HT Auto website the Ebay cables look pretty close, contrary to what maxwellwedge suggested. Still, I see that I would be in $300 for a set of batter cables vs. the $55 or so. No knocking HT Auto or Bill at all, just that I'm not a concourse guy.

Then those would be perfect for you then...better than using a universal bolt together end :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

With all due respect - There is nothing right with the cables on the ebay auction. The pos and neg lead head is the wrong shape, size and general configuration. As NOT Just 6T9 CHGR already stated the neg is for '70 and up (extra chassis ground wire). If you saw a cable on another site that looks like the ones on the ebay auction they are incorrect as well. I will post pics of original cables to show the proper configuration for those who want to know what is 100% correct. For those that stated they are not into concourse - go ahead and buy the ebay style and save a few bucks. That is fine for you and fine with me. Things like battery cables are one of the first things I look at in the engine compartment....It is a pet peeve of mine - along with a car with no black-out behind the grill. I am a sick, sick puppy when it comes to having everything look like it did when the cars left the factory. I do stop short of going to St. Louis and Detroit to gather local correct air for the tires.  :icon_smile_big: I'll post pics in the next couple of days.

resq302

older pic of my engine compartment but battery cables are concours correct.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Those have the correct look. I will still post some originals in the next day or two.

terrible one

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 24, 2009, 06:38:50 PM

With all due respect - There is nothing right with the cables on the ebay auction. The pos and neg lead head is the wrong shape, size and general configuration. As NOT Just 6T9 CHGR already stated the neg is for '70 and up (extra chassis ground wire). If you saw a cable on another site that looks like the ones on the ebay auction they are incorrect as well. I will post pics of original cables to show the proper configuration for those who want to know what is 100% correct. For those that stated they are not into concourse - go ahead and buy the ebay style and save a few bucks. That is fine for you and fine with me. Things like battery cables are one of the first things I look at in the engine compartment....It is a pet peeve of mine - along with a car with no black-out behind the grill. I am a sick, sick puppy when it comes to having everything look like it did when the cars left the factory. I do stop short of going to St. Louis and Detroit to gather local correct air for the tires.  :icon_smile_big: I'll post pics in the next couple of days.

Oh it's all good man. Truthfully I didn't even think of things such as the heads and stuff. Still all about preference I suppose. Both options have been pretty well presented in this thread. :2thumbs:

Hemidog

Does anyone have a picture showing where the extra negative chassis ground wire is connected?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Hemidog on March 25, 2009, 04:47:38 PM
Does anyone have a picture showing where the extra negative chassis ground wire is connected?

Look at the pic a few posts up of the engine compartment. On the firewall - to the left of the voltage regulator. The other end of the strap is bolted to the engine. I'll include a pic. This is up to '69 models. The 70's used an extra lead of the negative cable which bolted to the rad cradle area. Which year do you want to see?

68r/t

Quote from: resq302 on March 24, 2009, 06:51:04 PM

Just changing the subject for a moment, what is the single wire going through the grommet above the bulk head connector next to the vacuum lines?
I have this hole but I don't know what is supposed to go through it.
I have the tic toc tac but that is a diffrent hole between the bulk head connector and the brake booster.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 68r/t on March 25, 2009, 07:05:32 PM

Just changing the subject for a moment, what is the single wire going through the grommet above the bulk head connector next to the vacuum lines?
I have the tic toc tac but that is a diffrent hole between the bulk head connector and the brake booster.

Good question - added tach my guess. Here are 2 original 69's with factory tach's.

Hemidog

maxwell, I want to see the 70 type.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Hemidog on March 26, 2009, 01:44:24 AM
maxwell, I want to see the 70 type.
I'll try and find a pic. I have 2 - 70 B-Bodies - One is apart and being restored, the other is a low mile survivor that has not been shipped to me yet. The bolt that attaches the cable to the body is unique and threads into a welded nutsert on the body. Maybe someone else can post a pic while I'm looking.

gtx6970

I'll probably shoot myself for getting in this . But the ONLY true concourse correct battery cable is an original. There are currently 2 companies making battery cables that are extremely CLOSE but neither is  perfect :Twocents:

and the ones in the beginning of this post are not correct for anything , except a driver. so the only ones to ask if they are correct enough is the one hitting the buy it now button

charge-it

If everything has to be "correct" then why do you have an "incorrect" battery? Not trying to bust your balls or anything because your charger is a beauty.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

mopar_nut_440_6

Can somebody post a pic for a 68?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

375instroke

I sure would like to see the close up pics of what's $55 good enough, $300 concourse correct, and original.  My '69 R/T has the bolt on POS battery terminal, so anything's better at this point.  What about this "Concourse correct" cable?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 25, 2009, 08:32:22 PM
Quote from: 68r/t on March 25, 2009, 07:05:32 PM

Good question - added tach my guess. Here are 2 original 69's with factory tach's.
One of those 69's is an original orange car?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 26, 2009, 10:26:37 PM
I'll probably shoot myself for getting in this . But the ONLY true concourse correct battery cable is an original. There are currently 2 companies making battery cables that are extremely CLOSE but neither is  perfect :Twocents:

and the ones in the beginning of this post are not correct for anything , except a driver. so the only ones to ask if they are correct enough is the one hitting the buy it now button
That means the 140.00 "concours correct " cable I bought from you is not concours correct?

Just breaking your chops. :icon_smile_big: