News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona clone headlight setups

Started by aussie daytona, March 22, 2009, 03:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie daytona

hi guys....does anyone make a clone headlight setup that you can buy ??,the ones on my clone are not working for me at all,i know this subject has been gone through many times but im at the point of turning this car back into a 70 charger...buckets are so warped and the system to open the lights is so heavey i think there has to be a better way ??

superbirdtom

call erik nelson he can set you straight . maybe someone on here has is number. 

XS29J

Nice products!

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'm at the point of turning this car back into a 70 charger

hey

stick with it Bro . that's the hardest thing to building a correct clone . unless you've done it , you don't realize how hard it is to make them function properly .

hotrod and daytonalo might be able to help you .  that's why we went to vacuum . the lights opening  and closing is not a straight up and down motion . :rotz: it's hard to explain. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Give us an idea of what you have to work with and maybe one of us can point you in the right direction. I think you would always regret changing it back to a stock Charger front end.
After much debate and arguing, I now join everyone else in using the vaccum pods. They're really a no brainer.
The headlamps open in sort of a circular motion.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

aussie daytona

thanks for the help guys....system is the centre power motor turning the two buckets..but the only come half open and catch everywhere,need to pivot  rather than hinge open, i understand the principle of how they should work but dont have much to work with,thats why im hoping for a complete change as i cant see how what i have will ever work.

billssuperbird

i have an el motor in the middle. but i am going to put an el motor on each side to open each one by itself. :brickwall:   

A383Wing

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 22, 2009, 10:44:29 AM
QuoteI'm at the point of turning this car back into a 70 charger

hey

stick with it Bro . that's the hardest thing to building a correct clone . unless you've done it , you don't realize how hard it is to make them function properly .

hotrod and daytonalo might be able to help you .  that's why we went to vacuum . the lights opening  and closing is not a straight up and down motion . :rotz: it's hard to explain. Rene

I went the OE vacuum route also..took me about a month to get it right....but it was worth it in the end...video below to get you going again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cejlMddOoWs

RTDaddy

I used the mount for a 70-1 electric motor in the center, glassed the mount in to the nose.  I cannibalized some broken up doors to get the mounts for the rod and glassed them into the pods,  The you take one, (or two) of the remaining brackets that the connects the rectangular drive rod to the headlight door (pod), broach the slot the full lenght of the circular part of the bracket, put the bracket onto the rod using one of the spring "vee" clips that hold the rod into the the doors (pods).  Then I kept trying different springs until I counter-balanced the pods, and the motor does the trick.  By the way, the drive out of a late 80's/early 90's LeBaron uses the same arrrangement, and provides parts.  Hope this helps.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

oldcarnut

Personally I like what Daytona Guy made  :2thumbs:.  I'm gonna try my hand at something similar when the time comes.  I have the regular parts if I don't succeed. It's on this link page 3. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43026.40.html

superbirdtom

looks like the red daytona did what i did and built his own lenghtened nose spoiler. they look sooo much better that that little factory chimpo.

FJ5WING

Quote from: superbirdtom on March 24, 2009, 03:28:51 AM
looks like the red daytona did what i did and built his own lenghtened nose spoiler. they look sooo much better that that little factory chimpo.

dont remember who offers it but there is an option out there to get the chin spoiler that is extended 2".
wingless now, but still around.

Aero426

Dave Patik can sell you a longer spoiler.  Only issue is that it will be very easy to damage when you enter and exit parking lots with height transitions from the road.   Careful on the grass too.    If your front end is at all lowered, it is easy enough to whack the stock spoiler.   

superbirdtom

yeah I know  mine is whacked from my brother driving it up his strrp drive way.

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on March 24, 2009, 09:25:47 AM
Dave Patik can sell you a longer spoiler.  Only issue is that it will be very easy to damage when you enter and exit parking lots with height transitions from the road.   Careful on the grass too.    If your front end is at all lowered, it is easy enough to whack the stock spoiler.   

Mike S put one on Marty--it's in the garage from hitting EVERYTHING.  A stock length Patik one's in the car now.

A383Wing

Quote from: DougSchellinger on March 24, 2009, 09:25:47 AM
    If your front end is at all lowered, it is easy enough to whack the stock spoiler.   

Been there, did that....got a bend in mine right now to prove it...

RTDaddy

I have two, one stock, one long.  The long one is in the shop, tweaked it in a parking lot, but it does look good on the car.