News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383, 318, or something in between?

Started by vintagetin, March 23, 2009, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vintagetin

I just picked up a 1966 Charger that I trade my '66 Chrysler for.  The Chrsyler had a 383 that I rebuilt and it got about 15 miles to the gallon, which I thought was pretty good from what most people have told me.  It had the two barrel carb on it and it pulled well.  The Charger has the original 318 with a three speed manual on the column.  I don't really care about #'s maching, and it being original.  The '66 318 and the '67 318 are different.  The '66 318 has a wider intake manifold.  Are the heads on the '66 318 the same as the later model 318, 340, and 360.  How about the internals, like the cam, rods, and crank.  I know the bore and stroke of '66 318 and the later model 318 are the same.  Is the bellhousing the same?  I can't find any performance intakes for it.  I would like to build a mild performance engine and don't have much money to spend.  Maybe something that runs around 9.5's in the 1/8 mile.  Would it be better to just find a used 360 somewhere rather than buy a 383 or try to build the 318?  I want to keep the rear end gears stock unless I can find a cheap overdirve transmission for a small block.  Remember, this will be a daily driver!

Any tips, and info is appreicated!!
Thanks....

Ghoste

No the 66 318 has polysphere heads on it and there isn't really a whole lot that interchanges with the later smallblocks.  Go with the 383 and you will never regret.  Oh, and one more thing...
PICTURES!!!!

ITSA426

Three on the tree 318 Charger.  I'd leave it alone if it's in OK shape.  I enjoy mine as a daily driver.  Not bad gas mileage as is.  You can find four barrel setups for them and headers if you want a little more performance.  The smaller clutch isn't going to take much of a beating compared to a big block car. 

vintagetin

I've got an old six cylinder rambler to get from point a to b when gas is up. I know that 383 pulled well in my Chrysler Newport.  I'm sure it would pull great in the Charger..and I love that sound.mm..  There is a guy local that is offering to sell me a late 70's 360 out of a van.  I heard that the 360 was externally balanced, so if I want to use it with my three speed I'll need an 360 flywheel to counter balance the crankshaft...  The main reason I want a small block is to keep the front end light and not change the transmission (and save lots of $$$$).  If I go with a 383 I'll need a big block 727 (because a 4-speed cost an arm and a leg and I read they aren't the most long lasting of transmissions) and the front torsion bars will have to be replaced.  If I use a 727 I'll have to change all sorts of stuff.  Isn't it possable that the three speed I have now I can get a performance clutch for it to handle the 360.  The 360 of Chrylser seems to be the 350 of Chevy, cheap performance.  It has a healthy bore and stroke, and parts are plentyful and cheap!!

vintagetin

Quote from: Ghoste on March 23, 2009, 08:59:23 AM
No the 66 318 has polysphere heads on it and there isn't really a whole lot that interchanges with the later smallblocks.  Go with the 383 and you will never regret.  Oh, and one more thing...
PICTURES!!!!

I'll post pictures later.  The car is a pile right now.

Sublime/Sixpack

A 1st generation Charger with the Poly 318 (Semi-hemi) and three speed on the collumn? I don't remember the last time I saw one of those at a car show.  I have a soft spot in my heart for the early style 318, they're good engines and as already mentioned there are still old speed parts out there to be found for them.
Of course its not my call but I'd like to see you keep it as it came from the factory, and buy another mopar to modify for performance. :Twocents:

Good luck with whatever you choose.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

vintagetin

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on March 23, 2009, 11:36:12 AM
A 1st generation Charger with the Poly 318 (Semi-hemi) and three speed on the collumn? I don't remember the last time I saw one of those at a car show.  I have a soft spot in my heart for the early style 318, they're good engines and as already mentioned there are still old speed parts out there to be found for them.
Of course its not my call but I'd like to see you keep it as it came from the factory, and buy another mopar to modify for performance. :Twocents:

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I understand.  I'm not familar with the old motor at all so it just intimidates me.  I've built a few LA series small blocks and a 383...I guess I just feel more comfortable with them.  Maybe if I pull the 318 I'll just hang on to it.

vintagetin

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 23, 2009, 12:29:46 PM
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/4164/

Helpful website, unfortunately not many accessalbe performance applications when it comes to intake manifolds.