News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Fluid

Started by SF-CHSE, March 21, 2009, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SF-CHSE

Where do you add transmission fluid on a '68 Charger?
Located the transmission dip stick near the firewall on the passenger side.
Pour the fluid down the thin dip stick tube?
Thanks
SF

flyinlow

yes.

Check warmed up idling in neutral with brake set.  Do not overfill .

FLG

squeakfinder

Use a funnel, they sell one at wallmart for less than a buck. But yes, thats were you ad fluid....
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

SF-CHSE

Thanks guys.
Gasket on my transmission is leaking allot of fluid.
Need to have it repaired.
But in the meantime will add fluid via the dip stick tube.
SF

FLG

You could go to your local parts store and pick up a gasket. There inexpensive and it only takes a couple of bolts to remove the cover and replace the gasket. Could also do a filter and oil change while your at it.

SF-CHSE

Good thought.
I need to purchase some jack stands.
Looks like my basket at the part store will be full.
SF

Ghoste

Might also want to check and just ensure the pan bolts are properly tightened, sometimes they can loosen up and let fluid leak.
Although FLG's advice is better with it being such cheap and good insurance.

FLG

Yep. And dont go cheap on the stands. I use a old set of the big 5 ton stands (overkill) but i know there not gonna go anywhere. They have a VERY large footprint. As a extra precaution if its not in the way ill even leave the jack under the car just barely resting on the frame.

Also agree with ghoste.

SF-CHSE

I will admit getting under the car does scare me.
Had a bad experience 15 years ago with a '54 Hudson.
I'll look into the 5 ton stands.
SF

Sublime/Sixpack

Yes, safety first!     :yesnod:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

wayfast1500

I had a bad experience working on a 1988 bronco 2.  I was changing the leaf spring, it was a long project so I left the truck on 2 jackstands, had the jack barely touching the frame, and a tire under the frame.  I thought I was safe since I was doing everything right but having the truck set up like that for a month weakened the frame, the frame buckled, jack slipped under the truck into the floor pan, jack stands fell over because the truck rolled a little.  This happened while I had my legs under the rear drum.  The truck fell, luckily the drum landed inbetween my knees and I had to jack the truck up so I could get out.