News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rv 440 build up questions

Started by Rayzor, April 04, 2009, 09:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I am doing a low budget recondition on a 1976 440 from a rv. It had less then 10,000 miles so over all its in great shape. I threw new rings and bearings and had the valves ground and new guides put in and stock springs so I could lose the rotaters.  Other then that the heads are stock 452 castings.  I have a set of hedman  headers already and a  Rpm intake.  The real question is what kind of cam can I get away with.  I am guessing the compresion is 8.1 or lower.  Money is real tight so I would like to use a  whatever el cheapo cam. Maybe a summit grind or elgin etc. Anyone have some part numbers that might help. Also, I bought a mopar electronic ignition. Were should the timing be set on this thing and should I use the vac adavance.   

Rayzor

I was thinking about ordering the comp cams 268 HE grind. Will this be to much cam for the low compression motor.

firefighter3931

What's the motor going into Ray ? Stall speed ? rear end gearing ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rayzor

68 Charger, 727 factory 68 converter, 2:73 rear gear, 235,15 rear tires. Car will not see a track, just a driver.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rayzor on April 07, 2009, 11:07:56 PM
68 Charger, 727 factory 68 converter, 2:73 rear gear, 235,15 rear tires. Car will not see a track, just a driver.

I'd look at something like the Engle k54 hydraulic with that combination....installed on a 105-106 intake centerline.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on April 08, 2009, 08:29:14 AM
The Engle?  Why that one?

Low compression, 2.94 gears and stock converter.  :P  He needs something with real short duration to help it build cylinder pressure and give it some ballz off idle. The K54 is a 214*@.050 duration spec camshaft so it can get the job done and still make descent power up top.  :2thumbs:

Realisticly, this engine will be all done by 5500 rpm but with 2.94 gears it should still boogie  :boogie: pretty good.  :drive:

Ron

Rayzor

I called engle and its on its way with new springs. This is the second K54 I have run so I know what it will do. So much for being a cheap skate. ;) In my last build this cam had a super long torque curve and ran hard up to about 5,200. Now, about that timing. Should I be looking for around 10 btc and 34 total? Ron I have seen in the past you have recomended blocking off the vac advance. Care to share your reasoning behind this.   

firefighter3931

Good call on the K54....it'll work like a champ in that engine.  :icon_smile_big:

I'd start with 15* at idle and shoot for 38-40* total....all in by 2500 rpm. Low compression builds respond well to lots of timing. Detonation should be a non issue with that compression ratio.

As for the vacuum advance, i've allways tuned without it....but most of my stuff uses large lumpy cams that don't make much if any manifold vacuum. The stock vac advance units are designed to operate with engines that produce in excess of 15in hg at cruise so it might be something you can experiment with on yours. The K54 should make enough vacuum to utilize the cannister effectively....should you decide to do so.

Ron

Rayzor

Ok, thanks for all the help. Ray