News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting to 26" Aluminum Radiator

Started by Long Island RT, March 20, 2009, 12:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

For some reason - My Charger has a 22" Radiator in it (core width).  I could probably modify a 26" version to fit, but the radiator opening in the front of my engine compartment is only 22" wide. 

This sounds like a stupid question - but would I get more efficient cooling with 26" even though there's only 22" of air going thru it?

I have 512 stroker I want to keep cool - the slightly modified 440 it had before I tore it down had cooling issues at idle back then (thru a 3 core brass 22").

Thanks

Radiators US makes both versions for my car.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

firefighter3931

My buddy has a 22in core opening with an aftermarket 26in radiator and single pusher fan. The engine is a 671 supercharged 440 and we all know how much heat blower engines produce. It cools just fine with a 440 source belt driven waterpump and stock waterpump pulley. Even in the summer heat in 95* ambiant temps it never hits over 200*F....even in trafffic.  :2thumbs:

The old stock 26in c-body 3-core rad would overheat in a heartbeat under the same conditions.  :P

This is a true street/strip ride that runs in the low 10's and will be in the high 9's this year.  :coolgleamA:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Long Island RT

Wow - That's awesome.

Do you know what brand radiator it is?  Is it a crossflow or a downflow? 

I would imagine that a crossflow would be more efficient with the smaller opening in front of it as the downflow would have the end fins totally cut off from air flow.

Thanks
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Finn

Awesome, Im at that stage too. Was wondering what a good setup might be. :popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L