News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stock 440 rebuild

Started by 71green go, March 19, 2009, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

Ok my car came with a 69,000 mile 440 motor never touched in torn down condition as the guy was going to rebuild it and bore it out with better cam , headwork and alum intake etc....

As it is the numbers matching motor, I just want it rebuilt stock....as Later I will buy another 440 and build it up with lots of parts!..

the original motor has a slight ring ridge, cyl walls look great...can I get away with removing ridge and hone cyl walls and have the heads rebuilt,  buy a stnd rebuild kit reusing pistons etc and prob replace cam and reassemble motor and have a pretty good reliable motor for the next few years?......while I rebuild its replacement......has anyone done this kind of rebuild? 

I will prob send original motor in for rebuild when other motor is dropped in

whats your thoughts?

67_Dodge_Charger

You will need new pistons and rings at least, cam bearings, cam, lifters, push rods, timing chain kit, oil pump and pickup also.  Since you have a ridge on the cylinder wall it will need to cleaned up at least .030 or more.  Don't order the parts until you know how much the block needed bored and honed.  Then you should know if you can reuse the rods, valves and springs, rockers.....  Get a new water pump, thermostat and some orange paint.....

You will be glad you did.

Robert

flyinlow

There  is a tool called a ridge reamer that is inserted in the top off the block and is turned with a wrench and tightened until the ridge is gone.Then you can hone the bores . Then check for taper and out of round. If ok and you will be reusing the pistons this is an economical way to freshen up the engine.

If your replacing the pistons you might as well bore it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71green go on March 19, 2009, 07:16:11 PM
Ok my car came with a 69,000 mile 440 motor never touched in torn down condition as the guy was going to rebuild it and bore it out with better cam , headwork and alum intake etc....

As it is the numbers matching motor, I just want it rebuilt stock....as Later I will buy another 440 and build it up with lots of parts!..

the original motor has a slight ring ridge, cyl walls look great...can I get away with removing ridge and hone cyl walls and have the heads rebuilt,  buy a stnd rebuild kit reusing pistons etc and prob replace cam and reassemble motor and have a pretty good reliable motor for the next few years?......while I rebuild its replacement......has anyone done this kind of rebuild? 

I will prob send original motor in for rebuild when other motor is dropped in

whats your thoughts?

As long as there is minimal taper in the bores you can safely rebuild that engine. Disassemble and bring the block to a machineshop and have them measure it to see what you have. The ridge can be cleaned up and a simple honejob to break the glaze on the cylinders is all that's needed. Polish the crank and install new main & rod bearings & rings and upgrade the rod bolts while you're in there. The timing chain and oil pump should also be replaced. The cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers might be salvageable but i would replace them with that much milage.  :yesnod:

The cylinder heads might need some attention as well....the valves may have sunk into the heads because the 906 castings were not designed for unleaded fuel. You'll have to cross that bridge when you come to it.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs