News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronic ignition or recurve my Prestolite?

Started by dstryr, March 18, 2009, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

What to do?  Stroker is coming together, 440Source heads, a little porting from 254cfm intake to around 285cfm @ .600 lift measured on a superflow 600 bench, valves back-cut and valve job done, 512 440Source rotating assm. and comp XS290S solid lifter cam(I 252*@.050, .540 lift, E 260*@.050, .558 lift, 110*lsa) with HS roller rockers.  Should be about 10.3:1 compression. 

My prestolite dual point dist. & stock ignition system seems to be working fine in my stock motor though I am considering an upgrade.    What initial and total advance does a presolite have from the factory and while the stock system has never failed me, would this motor be better off with an upgrade of some sort?

Thanks!
Frank

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Charger-Bodie

Id go with electronic,with an msd6al (for the rev limiter , since I know your car is a stick  :drive: <---Me..)hidden somewhere out of sight.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

That is going to be a nice build Frank....the XS290S is awesome in a big cube street/strip bruiser.  :icon_smile_big:

Timing ; 18* initial and 35* total should be just about perfect  :2thumbs:

I'm with Brian on the ignition upgrade ; MP distributor and MSD 6AL with the soft touch rev limiter for the 4 speed. Hide the box inside the cab to keep it stock looking under the hood. A set of Firecore wires to lite the fire of course.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dstryr

Thanks, guys. 

How close to stock looking is the MP distributor? 

Does it use the standard TAN cap and can I use the Firecore wires?

Back to the Stock Prestolite for a minute, what initial and total advance will it have?  I ask because I may have to settle for a Pertronix after doing a couple of searches on here.

This build is starting to add up($$$), so I need to carefully weigh my options from here out.  I am thinking torque boxes might be a good idea and maybe a rebuild of the A833 before I put this much power to it...plus a new clutch disc as recommended by McLeod.  Got my Doug's 1-7/8" headers a few weeks ago, also, so a new H-pipe from the headers to the mufflers will be in order.   Glad my wife doesn't dig financial stuff, 'cause this might go over what I told her it would cost. :scratchchin: :2thumbs: ;D

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

firefighter3931

Frank, the MP distributor looks just like a stock 72 and up electronic ignition distributor. I just purchased one recently it it came with a tan cap. The new MP distributors have adjustable stops to allow you mechanical advance adjustments without having to weld up the plates...i huge bonus when doing custom tune work an a hot build.  :2thumbs:

The speed of the advance curve is controlled by the springs used on the advance weights.  :yesnod:

Not sure what the advance curve looks like on the prestolite distributor....i haven't messed with one in years.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs