News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator inlet?

Started by devilgear, March 19, 2009, 10:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilgear

I just ordered a new Summit Radiator, now I should have check before-but I'm dumb so we will get that out of the way first.Anyway my old rad has the inlet on the pass side and the so is the  outlet.The new one is said to have the inlet on the pass side, but the outlet is on the divers side.....Is this gonna be a problem? Would I have to get a new lower rad hose and if I do what one would I get? Thanks.

hemigeno

I'm no expert, but my guess is you're kinda scrod if what you say is true.  It's more difficult to change the lower radiator hose configuration than the upper due to the water pump discharge location.  It's kinda hard to route a radiator hose from a passenger-side water pump outlet, between or underneath the pulles and/or balancer, avoid the fan blades, and connect to a radiator on the driver's side - and I really doubt there's an off-the-shelf Gates hose application to solve your problem.

What engine combo are you running, and what kind of water pump/housing do you have? 

Could be that a restock fee and radiator re-order is the simplest solution...

firefighter3931

One option would be to install a driver side inlet waterpump housing....there are several aftermarket companies that make these in aluminum...or you could use an earlier BB factory housing.  :yesnod:

This might be easier than shipping the rad back and paying freight on a new one....more cost effective.  ;)

What year is your car ? What engine ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

devilgear

I should have gave more info.I have a 1973 Charger.I have a 400 in there now. Is there a universal lower hose I could use? Don't they make one that is bendable?

devilgear

I just checked again. They are both on the passenger side.

firefighter3931

I'm getting a headache reading your questions.  :P

To simplify things tell us where the lower rad hose attaches to the engine and where the upper and lower inlets on your radiator are. 

Or better yet...post some pics.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

devilgear

Ok sorry about that...The inlet and outlet for the stock radiator are both on the passenger side. The lower water pump housing is on the passenger side as well. It would seem that the Summit Rad I ordered is Passenger in and driver side out..The old one I have now is passenger side in and passenger side out..

firefighter3931

Quote from: devilgear on March 20, 2009, 12:29:31 AM
Ok sorry about that...The inlet and outlet for the stock radiator are both on the passenger side. The lower water pump housing is on the passenger side as well. It would seem that the Summit Rad I ordered is Passenger in and driver side out..The old one I have now is passenger side in and passenger side out..

From what you're saying the only difference is that the top hose location is different between these two radiators correct ?

That being the case you just need to use a different upper hose and everything else is fine.

Ron

devilgear

Actully it's the bottom one..I have to wait and see what the new rad is like I guess.I think I'll need a new water pump housing.440 Source has them for $65.I guess that is not super bad, but it just prove my point thay NOTHING ever goes smoothly.In the end it should be cool, but getting there is a chore sometimes.

terrible one

Quote from: devilgear on March 20, 2009, 09:13:47 AM
Actully it's the bottom one..I have to wait and see what the new rad is like I guess.I think I'll need a new water pump housing.440 Source has them for $65.I guess that is not super bad, but it just prove my point thay NOTHING ever goes smoothly.In the end it should be cool, but getting there is a chore sometimes.

If you need that waterpump housing from 440source Part No: 113-1015 I have it brand new in the box, yes drivers side outlet (turns out I needed passenger side) I will give it to you for $55 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

devilgear

Yeah I just checked and I do need to get a new water pump housing.....Ughh....Why does life have to be so f'n hard.....hahhahah...