News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are these different sizes

Started by gasoline_24, March 19, 2009, 12:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

These were removed from my rearend during the rebuild.  does anyone know why they are different and why one is larger than the other?  This was a non posi 3.23.

terrible one

The one on the right has the adjuster on it that is used to set the axle end play.  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

Terrble One is right. I'm thinking that when they rebuilt the rearend they removed the tapered bearings and installed what some refer to as the "Green" bearings.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mauve66

should also be a clip that fits into one of the slots in the one on the right, if i remember right that one has to be on the pass side (its been 6 years since i did mine) for the adjustment, but like they said maybe someone put the green bearings in,
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

gasoline_24

These were the ones I removed and after reading up on the green bearings I think that is the direction I will go.  I have looked at several of the posts and have read up on these, but I cannot find any specifics on the part that needs to be removed from the sure grip.  I will keep looking, but if anyone has a link I would greatly appreciate it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: gasoline_24 on March 19, 2009, 11:13:05 PM
These were the ones I removed and after reading up on the green bearings I think that is the direction I will go.  I have looked at several of the posts and have read up on these, but I cannot find any specifics on the part that needs to be removed from the sure grip.  I will keep looking, but if anyone has a link I would greatly appreciate it.

Gas, the part that needs to be removed is the thrust button. With green bearings there is no axle endplay adjustment so that part needs to be removed.  :yesnod:

The button is located in the center of the SG unit and must be disassembled to remove it. Take that opportunity to inspect the bearings and replace anything that looks supect.  ;)

Dr Diff can fix you up with a good set of green bearings....i would trust his recommendation.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gasoline_24

What if I go with an aftermarket clutch type posi unit?  Does this also have the thrust button in it?

firefighter3931

Quote from: gasoline_24 on March 20, 2009, 12:02:42 PM
What if I go with an aftermarket clutch type posi unit?  Does this also have the thrust button in it?

The thrust button is required with any stock/aftermarket axles that use tapered bearings. Not sure if the buttons come installed or not. I would check with the SG manufacturer to see if the buttons come installed or not.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gasoline_24

Thanks Ron.  Once again I owe you.  If you start collecting all of these from everyone you will not need to work for some time.