News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reverse shift pattern

Started by Beer, March 17, 2009, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

I am starting to research and plan for the Transmission side of my build.  I am leaning towards a Cope Racing 904 Tranny w/ a low firstgear set.  John Cope has come back with recommending a reverse shift pattern.  I am not familiar with this, I will call him when I get home (I am offshore) and get more info, but I am naturally curious...

What are the advantages of the reverse shift pattern ???

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

green69rt

I don't know if it is really an advantage but here is the story on my old charger.  Normal Automatic shift pattern is PRND21.  With the reverse pattern it is PRN12D.   Notice that you go into 1 from neutral.  SO what does this get you?  As far as I know these trans are all forced shift.  That means the trans will not shift itself, you must move it through the gears.  They also run a higher transmission oil pressure that can make a very hard shift.  Also in the old days these cars were usually modified with a high stall converter, big cam, etc.  This tended to add heat to the trans (thus usually had a additional cooler) and would not idle well in gear (unless you cranked the idle up.

So the driving method for these cars was to shift to neutral when stopped then go to first immediately before launch.  Then thru the gears. 

Doesn't sound like much of an advantage to me but the car broke the tires loose in all gears at anything over 2500 RPM and was a blast to drive.

Beer

Hmmmm thats going to be a hard sell, car will be more Street than Track...

Still leaning towards the regular shift pattern...
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

firefighter3931

Jim, i went with the Turbo Action pro-street forward pattern with low band apply.

The reverse pattern is considered safer because going in reverse eliminates the possibility of shifting into neutral. That's not really an issue with a slapstick or aftermarket ratchet shifter.  ;)

I'm running an aftermarket shifter and still went with the forward pattern.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 18, 2009, 07:19:20 AM
Jim, i went with the Turbo Action pro-street forward pattern with low band apply.

The reverse pattern is considered safer because going in reverse eliminates the possibility of shifting into neutral. That's not really an issue with a slapstick or aftermarket ratchet shifter.  ;)

I'm running an aftermarket shifter and still went with the forward pattern.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Reverse for me using a stock shifter & a Duncan-Racing Shift-R-Gate and a little decal I had made up....keeps 'em guessing ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70redbee

That sticker is just what I have been looking for to put in my 70 Bee. Does anyone sell them, I can't find it anywhere. I'm using reverse manual with the stock shifter and console. That looks awsome.

Beer

I have a laser engraver and can make em...just need the dimensions, probably charge ya $10.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 70redbee on March 18, 2009, 02:42:56 PM
That sticker is just what I have been looking for to put in my 70 Bee. Does anyone sell them, I can't find it anywhere. I'm using reverse manual with the stock shifter and console. That looks awsome.
Tom Duncan at Duncan Motorsports sells them now

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/10.html

Scroll down...hey that pic looks mights familiar :scratchchin: ;)

PS---you'll love his reverse pattern shift-r-gate as well....no more missed second gear!  I was the test mule for it about 4 years ago
Chris' '69 Charger R/T