News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

keep the A/C?

Started by Foreman72, March 17, 2009, 08:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

anyone seen any gains between a/c and non a/c? cuz if i'll loose possible power due to belt drag and whatnot i'm gonna look @ not keeping it...its not like its a rare car...its a sales bank so there are probably a million of them...SO...does the a/c bring power #s down or am i just stupid...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

A383Wing

If the AC is turned on, it will take the power down.....if it's off, it's just spinning the bearing...no drag

As far as the "stupid" part of your question.....  :D

Foreman72

Quote from: A383Wing on March 17, 2009, 08:23:28 PM
If the AC is turned on, it will take the power down.....if it's off, it's just spinning the bearing...no drag

As far as the "stupid" part of your question.....  :D

thats what i was hoping for...i just don;t want a cluttered engine bay u kno...also have to do A/C resto then...that'll b mad cash ::)
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Charger1973

I got rid of mine, I like the clean look and I always drive on nice days with the windows down anyhow.  If you want to do it right its a lot of work to convert one to non a/c though, including a new heater box and firewall section.  Those are the 2 things I have yet to change on mine but I plan to do both. 

Foreman72

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 17, 2009, 08:52:11 PM
I got rid of mine, I like the clean look and I always drive on nice days with the windows down anyhow.  If you want to do it right its a lot of work to convert one to non a/c though, including a new heater box and firewall section.  Those are the 2 things I have yet to change on mine but I plan to do both. 

so what would be doing it "wrong" :D
Eric "Foreman"

Charger1973

Probably the way mine is done right now.   ;)

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

flyinlow

I took the A/C out when I switched 318 to 446. Have not gotten around to installing new system yet. V2 compressor ,condenser and plumbing remove about 50 lbs.  

Car weighs about 8.5 lbs per HP.   Thats about the same as a  six HP gain without the AC.

I read a sales ad by a replacement AC compressor company that said the V2 compressor required up to 8 HP on a hot day. vs 3 HP for the newer style 134a compressors.

Faster or cooler   :shruggy:

A383Wing

What a lot of people have done is remove all the factory AC stuff from the engine, then remove the condenser from in front of the radiator....what you are left with is all the wires, & AC connectors sticking out of the firewall not connected to anything...looks kinda tacky....

Either keep it all AC under there, or you will have to find a non-AC heater box, and weld up all the extra holes in the firewall that went to the factory AC system...big job, not a lot of fun....I did it to my car....wish I hadn't now

Charger1973

I simply removed all A/C components underhood and changed my heater controls to the non A/C (they arent hooked up yet, since I dont have the matching heater box yet).  I also changed my dash panel to the one without heater vents, removed all the ducts under the dash and filled in the driver side vent in the dash frame.  

These arent the best pics but you can get an idea of the difference in the dash alone, looks much cleaner without the vents.  

Sublime/Sixpack

I think the engine bay looks much better without the A/C set up, but that cold air blowing on a hot day sure feels good! If the car came with A/C I'd probably keep it that way, but thats me. 
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Foreman72

i think at the least i would just yank the compressor and whatnot and just clean up the lines...i would't make it look like it came without A/C...but keeping it equals clutter, more $$ spent and to top it off i don't think i'll really need it...
Eric "Foreman"

Corellian Corvette

I say do it right. You can get a much more efficent compressor from Classic Auto Air that wil be less power draw when in use and weigh less. When it's not in use, it's only costing a little in weight.

I'm the kind of guy that likes it when everything works - so I'm ALWAYS the "repair and fix" guy over the "remove guy". Plus, fixing stuff makes the car more valuable, and personally I just prefer to have everything the way it's supposed to be. A ton of guys would KILL to have an A/C car! On a GM car, since they have the condensor on the engine side, you pay a penalty for having AC in terms of access to to working in the engine compartment, fortunately the Chrysler setup doesn't have that problem - and really what's a couple hoses in your engine compartment?

Any weight gains you are going to save are really not going to be meaningful - the A/C parts probably weigh less than a couple gallons of gas.

Nacho-RT74

A/C TO ME, FOREVER!!!

Comfort and power can live together

Hey Matt, did you finally find the correct dash frame ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 18, 2009, 11:58:52 PM
A/C TO ME, FOREVER!!!

Comfort and power can live together

Hey Matt, did you finally find the correct dash frame ?

Nope I havent touched my car since last summer to be honest.  Thats the one I modified, but if I find the correct one later I will grab it.  Chances are I will find one though, since i'll need to raid a non A/C car to get the other parts anyway. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Foreman72 on March 18, 2009, 09:09:46 PM
i think at the least i would just yank the compressor and whatnot and just clean up the lines...i would't make it look like it came without A/C...but keeping it equals clutter, more $$ spent and to top it off i don't think i'll really need it...
I left just the compressor in and didn't mount the lines ( for a clean look ).  In the 69 you need the compressor for the belts, but I guess a non A/C car would route the belts differently.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

If it was me.....I would have working A/C!  I hate to be sweaty. 

COKE

I have a 69´non A/C car.
I will install a Classic Auto air kit as soon as i have the money.

There are a lot o people here who have removed the A/C and the heater box from their cars,just to save  the "Extra weight".And they run the 1/4 mile two or three times a year :hah:.

I hate to see the A/C controls without function there  or the vents without nothing behind.

A/C for me too
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

Rallye

Foreman, if you're going to be driving the car a lot, like I do mine, then you'll need the A/C.  Mine's originally a non-A/C car, but I will definitely be installing the Classic Auto Air this year.  Since you have an original A/C car, it won't be "mad cash" to restore the system if most of it is already there.  There's nothing worse than a nice long road trip with your hot girl-friend bitching the entire time about how we should have taken her Honda because it has A/C.  Save yourself the headache, get that A/C blowing cold and enjoy life.  :Twocents:       
1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Rallye on March 22, 2009, 11:09:41 PM
There's nothing worse than a nice long road trip with your hot girl-friend bitching the entire time about how we should have taken her Honda because it has A/C.  Save yourself the headache, get that A/C blowing cold and enjoy life.  :Twocents:       

hmmmm     well...    good point there...   That is why my Charger will have Vintage Air in it and my Satellite will have a referbished factory A/C system...   I have all the parts so I figure "Why the hell not" - better to have it and never use it then to say "my dumbass should have...."
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Foreman72

many thanks for your thoughts gents  :lol:

how much did restoring your a/c run you ralley?

it's going to be a 3 season car and it doesn't get too scorching up here in NH...but i think for car value and functionally sake i guess i'll hold on to it
Eric "Foreman"

Foreman72

man the more i look at engine bays w a/c the less i want it :rotz: ...but if i can find a way to do it cleanly...so its a un noticeable as possible...then it'll be considered...i just don't want a messy engine sanctuary
Eric "Foreman"