News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

9 1/4 swap

Started by j m w, March 11, 2009, 06:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j m w

i am a new guy but i am not new. i have a 72 charger with org stuff-318-903-8 1/4. i want to put in 68 440-727 and 9 1/4. i have drive shafts for both trans. 9 1/4 came from a 1975 ( something ) has sure grip. i have 440 motormounts, lots of tools and know my lefty loosey from my righty tighty how much trouble and parts am i getting into? about the 9 1/4  my understanding is if the sure grip is working the later one and the older on work abought the same, but when they screw up the early one is easyer to fix. also does the 83/4 share the same sure grip or do they each have their own

WingCharger

The 8 3/4 has a drop-out chuck. The 9 1/4 you have is a salisbury axle. It is similar to the Dana 60. MoparAction built a 8 1/4, which is similar to your axle, just smaller. They used a "True-Trac" aftermarket differential, and they said it is the ONLY diff to use when building one of these axles. They said the stock diffs were weak. :icon_smile_wink:

hemigeno

I moved this thread into this section since you're more likely to get an answer to the technical question you've asked.

:cheers:

j m w

Quote from: hemigeno on March 11, 2009, 08:18:50 PM
I moved this thread into this section since you're more likely to get an answer to the technical question you've asked.

:cheers:
motor head not computor nurd thanks

chargercrazy

Be careful with the width of the 9 1/4.  Depending on what it came out of, it may be too wide to put under a B-body.

j m w

measured everything spring perches ok, diff,ok total width mite be about one in or so, thinking 1/2 in pos offset on wheels should fix