News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Perfomance advantage High flow manifolds (stock) or "shorty" style headers?

Started by bigred68, March 16, 2009, 09:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred68

Can you guys tell me what, if any performance difference there is between stock (hi flow) exhaust manifols, or "shorty" style headers? My father-inlaw is building a street rod and standard long tube headers won't fit and he has a set of hp mainifolds. Is the cost of shorty headers worth the gain?
:cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: bigred68 on March 16, 2009, 09:38:51 AM
Can you guys tell me what, if any performance difference there is between stock (hi flow) exhaust manifols, or "shorty" style headers? My father-inlaw is building a street rod and standard long tube headers won't fit and he has a set of hp mainifolds. Is the cost of shorty headers worth the gain?

I would say no....not worth the expense. The key to making manifolds work well is the cam profile. Something with a wider LSA will reduce overlap and help with cylinder scavenging. That's the key to making power with a restrictive exhaust system.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bigred68

Mike DC

You might wanna look into Tri-Ys before abandoning the possibility of headers entirely.  Like maybe those ones the Schmacher sells for big block wedges. 

Musicman

Tri-Y's are a nice alternative, but if you already have a set of HP's in hand it would be hard to justify the extra $725 +  :Twocents:
There will be a performance gain, but is it worth the extra cash  :shruggy: 
If you were starting from stock then I would say Yes, go look into it  :scratchchin: but....