News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vehicle history of a 1968 Charger RT

Started by tola75, March 16, 2009, 05:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tola75

Hi, my Name is Torsten, I´m from Germany and I own a 68 Dodge Charger RT and a 68 Plymouth Fury 2dr Hardtop Coupe. http://www.torstenlamprecht.de/index_fuhrpark_4.html
I´m going to restore the Charger and I´m looking for the last or for the first owner to get pictures how the car was looking when its new and get some history of the car. Is it possible to check Vehicle information for cars before the US goverment claim the History report with the new Vin numbers?
Car was running in New Mexico until 1979 then was out of order until 2005 when it was in Ohio.

Would be great to get Help!

Regards Torsten

hemigeno

Torsten,

Welcome to the site! :cheers: 

To answer your question, you will have a very difficult time finding any information about your car's prior history without a whole lot of luck.  Most state's historical vehicle registration records do not go back very far, and the federal government keeps no records of cars whatsoever.

Chrysler Historical is no help either for a '68 and newer car, although strangely they can help out with '67s and older.   :brickwall:  Figures...

If you know any of the prior owners, there's a small chance they have information or pictures of your car when it was new, and there's an even smaller chance the selling dealership is in business and/or has any records left from when your car was sold.  I've actually spoken to the gentleman who originally purchased my '69 Daytona off the dealer's lot, but he has not yet found any pictures of it when new. 

Your best hope to "prove" what options your car had on it from the factory is to search for the Broadcast Sheet.  Old pictures of a car are nice to have, but it's the Broadcast Sheets which are considered the absolute word on original/factory equipment.

Good luck with your search!

Geno

kingjoop

1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

First off, welcome :cheers:!

Another option you could explore is to get in touch with a president or such of a local Mopar Club in New Mexico and see what luck you have.  You need to do some detective work and see what comes up.  You may get lucky and someone knows something.  I would also go to Chargerregistry.com and Galen Govier (Mopar guru) and see if a previous owner has "registered" the car on either site.

Good luck... :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Guten Tag Torsten....  OK, enough of my German..  :icon_smile_big:  Spent 5 weeks in Hannover... Loved it....

Welcome to the site and Geno pretty much summed it up......

Prost...   :cheers:
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2009, 08:27:04 PM
Guten Tag Torsten....  OK, enough of my German..  :icon_smile_big:  Spent 5 weeks in Hannover... Loved it....

Troy

What the.... :o :o
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 16, 2009, 09:46:57 PM

Troy

Yes????   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Marck

Troy

"Guten Tag" is Hello
"Prost" is Cheers

Welcome Torsten from Denmark  :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Marck on March 17, 2009, 09:42:38 AM

Troy

"Guten Tag" is Hello
"Prost" is Cheers

Thanks.... Also love Denmark, cleanest place on the planet......  You Danes got your act together...  :cheers:
Troy

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Marck

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 17, 2009, 09:47:21 AM
Quote from: Marck on March 17, 2009, 09:42:38 AM

Troy

"Guten Tag" is Hello
"Prost" is Cheers

Thanks.... Also love Denmark, cleanest place on the planet......  You Danes got your act together...  :cheers:

Thanks man, it's nice to know that my country comes across as a nice place to people from outside our borders..  SKÅL :cheers:  ;)

tola75

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 16, 2009, 08:10:02 PM
First off, welcome :cheers:!

Another option you could explore is to get in touch with a president or such of a local Mopar Club in New Mexico and see what luck you have.  You need to do some detective work and see what comes up.  You may get lucky and someone knows something.  I would also go to Chargerregistry.com and Galen Govier (Mopar guru) and see if a previous owner has "registered" the car on either site.

Good luck... :2thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome.
I guess the car is not registered, because it was not used since 1979. I have the license plate from New Mexico, is that a chance?
Regards Torsten