News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bench/Bucket Switcheroo

Started by Foreman72, March 17, 2009, 07:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bench or Bucket

Bench
0 (0%)
Bucket
10 (100%)
Something else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Foreman72

It has recently come to my attention that i should look into scrapping the bench in my 72 and put in some buckets mainly cuz of the B&M that will be in there...my questions

What do you have?
what do you suggest? 
is it a hard switch?
are all 3rd gen buckets the same?

thanks all :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mikepmcs

The car in your signature that DS chopped for you is not a bench seat car. Nuff said! :2thumbs: :icon_smile_big: :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Foreman72

well yeah but i wasn't gonna have him put a bench in a corner of the window man ;D comeonnow....
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Ghoste

I thought we told you to get buckets when you were looking for advise on hooking that shifter up with a bench a while back?

terrible one

I used the universal type buckets found at Summit and obviously some of the auto parts stores. I know that there are plenty of pictures around here with them installed in member's cars . . . I know that Norway used them in his Charger and has lots of pictures around.

The install was pretty easy. I just got some of the universal brackets from Summit, didn't have to drill the floor just the brackets.

I posted a picture of mine not in the car on this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51926.0.html and there is some more talk about them/ pictures in there but if you search you'll find pictures of them in members' rides, etc.

Foreman72

Quote from: Ghoste on March 20, 2009, 06:00:21 AM
I thought we told you to get buckets when you were looking for advise on hooking that shifter up with a bench a while back?

yeah you did...yeah you did  :lol:

but if you notice the questions were

What do you have?
what do you suggest?
is it a hard switch?
are all 3rd gen buckets the same?

what do you suggest as been squared :icon_smile_wink:

my main question is what is involved in the switch...if i'm going to do it i'd like to get original ones...which brings up are all 3rd gen buckets the same?

thanks 4 your input guys :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Ghoste

To be fair I didn't notice, I just saw the poll and shot from the hip, sorry.

Foreman72

Quote from: Ghoste on March 20, 2009, 08:16:32 PM
To be fair I didn't notice, I just saw the poll and shot from the hip, sorry.

no worries sir :icon_smile_cool:
Eric "Foreman"

NHCharger

I converted my 72 Charger from bench to 71 buckets. I'll have to check but I believe you can use the same mounting holes on the outside of the seats and drill holes for the inside ones. You will also need to weld in some small plates to reinforce the floor on the inside holes. From what I've seen ma mopar had no set size on the plates. The plates in the parts car I yanked the seats from were only half the size of the plates in my 71.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BROCK

Seat tracks for buckets are the same on all 2 door B bodies 71 - 74.  It it the leather or vinyl
or cloth that was different from model to model & from year to year. 

I'd love to know if the bench seat tracks match the outside tracks on the buckets. 

The 75 + buckets have different outside tracks for sure.  I'll be comparing the inside tracks
for differeces very soon.  For reference:  Same seat frames different vinyl.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

11thsfgrp

I have a 73 SE that I converted from bench to buckets... The outside holes line up perfectly and the floor pans are already stamped for the inside seat rail. Was pretty simple to do and 71-74 buckets will work.. :Twocents: :cheers: