News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

challenger out selling mustang in 2009

Started by moparstuart, March 13, 2009, 01:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

- Friday, March 13, 2009, 11:19 AM

Dodge Challenger outsells Ford Mustang last month and YTD
Mar 13, 2009 15:01:00 GMT Share

Filed under: Coupes, Chevrolet, Chrysler, LLC., Dodge, Ford, GM

The Ford Mustang has been a dominant force in the sales department well before the last generation Chevy Camaro rode off into the sunset. That changed last month. Ford's iconic pony car has been outsold by the Dodge Challenger by 293 units in February, as the Dodge coupe racked up 3,283 sales during a very challenging month. The Challenger's February victory could be a sign of things to come for the Mustang, as the Blue Oval's most recognizable vehicle is set to get bombarded with more competition coming from the 2010 Camaro. The Camaro, which goes into regular production on March 16, already has over 10,000 pre-orders on the books.

The Mustang won't be left for dead, though, as the pony car is getting a major makeover this spring. In fact, one reason the Challenger defeated the Mustang in February could be the fact that some are waiting for the 2010 model. Automakers also slow production before retooling for a new model, meaning there are fewer 2009 Mustangs from which to choose. With the automotive world struggling to stay afloat, it's nice to know that we have the pony car wars to keep our minds occupied.

Gallery: In the Autoblog Garage: 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Gallery: First Drive: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

[Source: Chrysler, Ford] Dodge Challenger outsells Ford Mustang last month and YTD

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

That's very interesting news and it'll be even more interesting to see how the Camaro affects both cars.  Not hearing much about the two modern ponycars facing off against each other yet.

nh_mopar_fan

The employee ++ pricing has to be playing a big part in this as well.

bigcountry

Quote from: moparstuart on March 13, 2009, 01:27:15 PM

The Ford Mustang has been a dominant force in the sales department well before the last generation Chevy Camaro rode off into the sunset. That changed last month. Ford's iconic pony car has been outsold by the Dodge Challenger by 293 units in February, as the Dodge coupe racked up 3,283 sales during a very challenging month. The Challenger's February victory could be a sign of things to come for the Mustang, as the Blue Oval's most recognizable vehicle is set to get bombarded with more competition coming from the 2010 Camaro. The Camaro, which goes into regular production on March 16, already has over 10,000 pre-orders on the books.

Wonder if this pun was intended. :smilielol:

Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

Mike DC

First the 2005 Mustang restyle hits the nail on the head & sells like hell. 

Now the new Chally outsells the Mustang.  No surprise considering that the Mustang's been there for several years to dilute the demand already. 

And between the 2006-up Chargers and the 2008/09 Challys, that should really cover the demand that Mopars had coming. 

Then the 2010 Camaro will most likely outsell the Chally & Mustang next year.  I can't imagine this not happening, given the huge GM fanbase that's been ponycar-deprived for the last decade.  And the new F-body might appeal to a white-collar market for the first time in a generation too.

71charger_fan

I wouldn't buy an '09 Mustang now that I've seen the 2010s. Those early press release photos of the updated Mustang can't be helping sales of the current one.

TheGhost

I thought that the photos wouldn't be helping the sales of the 2010s.  Damn things are hideous, even diehard Ford people think so.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 13, 2009, 06:07:46 PM
First the 2005 Mustang restyle hits the nail on the head & sells like hell. 

Now the new Chally outsells the Mustang.  No surprise considering that the Mustang's been there for several years to dilute the demand already. 

And between the 2006-up Chargers and the 2008/09 Challys, that should really cover the demand that Mopars had coming. 

Then the 2010 Camaro will most likely outsell the Chally & Mustang next year.  I can't imagine this not happening, given the huge GM fanbase that's been ponycar-deprived for the last decade.  And the new F-body might appeal to a white-collar market for the first time in a generation too.

You know Mike, many times when I read the comments you make I say this guy hits it on the head.  And you did it again.  Bingo! 
Yes I love my Mopar, but I love all great American cars and I'm very excited to see what the big 3 will do with these cars as they change and up grade them over the years.  I love bold colors, scoops,stripes, and big power.  I've seen some future shots of what they plan to do with the Camaro and it's gonna be mean and cool looking.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

rav440

i dont think its all that bad looking . it kinda has that 70 -71 style change to it . the body lines could have been done better . its way better lloking than the new stupid looking camaro .

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Mike DC

QuoteYou know Mike, many times when I read the comments you make I say this guy hits it on the head.  And you did it again.  Bingo!
Yes I love my Mopar, but I love all great American cars and I'm very excited to see what the big 3 will do with these cars as they change and up grade them over the years.  I love bold colors, scoops,stripes, and big power.  I've seen some future shots of what they plan to do with the Camaro and it's gonna be mean and cool looking.

Thanks!  Flattering.

IMHO the current revived muscle cars are closer to the originals than anything we've had in a long time.  Not just in looks or horsepower but in terms of their place in the market and who they appeal to. 

The cars don't have chrome bumpers & carburetors anymore, but this is essentially what the 1960s buyers would be interested in if they were somehow time-traveled into the present.  I doubt those original buyers would have been so insistent on carburetors & heavy steel construction if they'd been given the choice of lighter computerized cars at the time.  These modern versions have their hearts & intentions in the right place. 

TK73

Quote from: rav440 on March 14, 2009, 07:05:37 AM
i dont think its all that bad looking . it kinda has that 70 -71 style change to it . the body lines could have been done better . its way better lloking than the new stupid looking camaro .

That's the concept...

There certainly was no major restyling of the 2010. From the doors up are the same as the '05-'09. tail panel has a curve to it, hood slopes down more to the grill which makes the grill narrower and a new body line at the back of the door similar to the 1st gen. 

All in all, I'll stick with my '08...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-mustang.html

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

71charger_fan

Styling is subjective. I thought the 2005 Mustang was a "missed it by that much" design. I think the subtle changes for 2010 bring it home. Now that there will be no Challenger convertible (or so I read), I might just buy my first Ford. I really don't like the design of the Camaro even a little bit. Plus my '82 was such a turd, I swore off GM products for the conceivable future. Never say never though. The Camaro with a V6 looks to be a lot stronger performer than the similarly equipped Challenger or Mustang. I'll be interested to see one in person. The first '05 Mustang I saw had such poorly aligned body panels and gap problems it looked like a rebuilt wreck. I hope it was a pilot car that somehow got sold. I'd hate to think there were too many others built like that.

Mike DC

I doubt there will be convert Challys. 

In fact I doubt there will be any further major investments into any of these three car lines to be honest.  Doing the Chally at all was a pre-recession $2/gallon decision that I really doubt they would make again.  (Although the Camaro might have still happened today just because GM is that far behind the curve.)

1970Moparmann

Man, I would love to get a new Chally..... My wife would have my nuts cut off though.. :RantExplode:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

rav440

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 14, 2009, 03:42:02 PM
Man, I would love to get a new Chally..... My wife would have my nuts cut off though.. :RantExplode:

doesnt sound like all that bad of a trade off to me . damn things get in the way anyway .  :D
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Mike DC

The new Chally is alright, but if you've got a purple 1970 Charger then you're a notch above the new Chally already.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 14, 2009, 06:38:55 PM

The new Chally is alright, but if you've got a purple 1970 Charger then you're a notch above the new Chally already.

Agree :cheers:  I need my nuts for a little longer time anyway.  ;D
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!