News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 charger update with engine question(sorry no pics yet)

Started by kokxville, March 11, 2009, 04:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

Here´s a update.

I brought my dashboard,subframe,upper and lower controlarms,rearaxle housing,etc. to get powdercoated.Brought my dashpad and console to the upholestry guy to get it covered with black leather and a guy who lives near me is doing the complete wiring with new typ fuses relais etc.

At this time i´m putting a list together with the parts i still need,and i´m going to order soon.

I´m having dougths about what to do with the engine.I have 2 datecoded 1970 440´s sitting here,and i have a 4.5 inch forged cranck with rotating assembly wich i was thinking in putting in one of those 440´s.But i haven´t got a clue what cam,heads,intake and torqueconverter i need to get to make this a monster street driven ride.I have 3.55 posi in my 8.75.

I also can use the original cranck,and do a nice setup.I know what i can achieve then.

What are your thoughts about this?

I still haven't find time to put some picturs here,but it will come.Sorry about that.

Thanks.
John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Rolling_Thunder

if you're looking for monster power for a street car go with the larger displacement stroker kit - more docile while making more power more torque - and seeing as you already have it...    kinda a no-brainer to me...       but you can also make a killer 440ci engine as well...   

add info about your car - power brakes ? OD transmission ? EFI ? Carb ?    :scratchchin:

If I was going the stroker route and not knwing much of what you want...   I would imagine just a weekend toy...   - I would go with an Indy dual plane intake for the street, 850cfm carb, Edelbrock RPM heads (ported if possible), and the cam is strictly dependant on your application...   for the street I suggest a hydraulic cam...   maybe K60/K62 Engle cam on a 110LSA...   should provide decent manners - I'm sure Ron will chip in with his opinion...     with the mentioned build above, and box stock RPM heads you're looking at around 600lbft and roughly 560hp all before 6000rpm  -  ported heads will only increase the #s

you can always go with a KV7-KV8 Engle cam...   it is solid lifter and makes one hell of a nice sound when combined with about 11:1 compression   :2thumbs:

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

kokxville

Hi Rolling thunder,thanks for the reply.

First i will running it with a carb,and in the future when i have the funds i'm planning on converting it to efi.
No OD on the tranny yet,but also on my wishlist for the future.
At first i want to have it finished and lisenced so i can drive it,but i need to build an engine anyway,so why don't make it right the first time.
It came with factory front disc brakes,wich will be new stock replacements.Also want to upgrade in the future with 4 wheel disc brakes.

Ow,i'm doing a nut and bolt resto.

John
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Rolling_Thunder

been there buddy - still trying to finish my "resto" as well...    just don't let yours snowball like mine did - do it right the first time...   I went from a 360, to a 383, to a 440, then a 512, and now a 6.1L hemi...    all over the past 3 years...   none of the engines had more than 2 hours of run time...    :RantExplode:   

I would run manual disc brakes - but if you were going to run power - I think a hydroboost would be a nice addition as it does not care about the engine set up at all...    if you change to something more "radical" down the road as far as cams, induction, and things like that...    If you plan on running manual none of this matters.   

Were you going for a factory appearance at all or a nice cruiser ?  if you are looking for a stock appearing theme my recipe will need to be altered.   Any more questions just ask away   :2thumbs:

kokxville

I read about your car with the 6.1 in it,awesome job man. :2thumbs:

Like 6 months ago i briefly had the same idea for mine.I ended up planning this afther i was looking at the xv motorsports converted cars.
But where does it stop  :icon_smile_wink:?

So i was getting my mind together and said to myself,just finish it and and make it streetable.Than upgrade later with the goodies i want to add to the car,but do the things like engine and tranny right the first time.You pushed me over the line  :lol:.I have the stroker rotating assembly and 2 440's sitting already,so let's go from there. :cheers:

As far for the stock apperance...not really,it must be a mean looking muscle machine.It wil be the original b5 bleu,because i love this color.But i will not
put the factory vinyltop back.I'm not that number matching minded.If it was a original v-code or Hemi car,it would be a complete different story.

What exactly do you mean with hydraboost?It has factory powered brakes if that's what you mean.

What are your thoughts about the exhaust with this stroker engine?I heard the tti headers are the best on the market.But what size would you use?

And while i'm asking anyway,do you have any parts left wich you are not using and would be helpful for me? :D( please send me a pm if you do)

Thanks for your advice and i definitely will ask you more questions as they come up. :2thumbs:

John

Rolling_Thunder

Exhaust - I would suggest 1 7/8 or 2" primary tube TTI headers and 3" exhaust...

The hydroboost is an aftermarket power brake pump that runs off of your power steering unit instead of relying on engine vacuum - Engine vacuum is directly effected by camshaft selection - so if you want to keep your factory power brakes the camshaft will need to be selected accordingly.

The XV cars are nice but nowhere near $200,000 nice...     I got a quote for OVER $125,000 (if I supplied the car) for them to do my car...   ha!  when I'm done I'll have roughly $35,000 into mine - including the car...      :2thumbs:

kokxville

:o $200000.00....i agree.Nice cars,but indeed not this amount kind of nice.
I also have somewere between $30000 and $35000 in mine when i´m done including my car.I have it already for 9 years.Started with the original 383 2bbl,drove the rustbucket for 2 months and teared it apart.But back then i needed to move out of the space i rented to coninue the project.My neighbor was so nice he had planted a illigal cannabis business next door in the same building. :flame:Afther that,i found a new space to put the charger in storage,but i haven´t got the room and allowance to work there,just store it.It sat there for 5 years,and 2 months ago i found a new location where i can work on it again. :2thumbs:This guy is helping me out,and doing my bodywork for free,if i helped him to make his 65 pontiac catalina convertible running.Offcourse i need to pay for the bondo materials and paint.Great deal huh  :yesnod:.

It seems that hydroboost is the way to go.Do you have a link where i can get more info about this system?

John