News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Sway Bar?

Started by Matthan, March 12, 2009, 03:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

What is the Best Sway Bar to use In a 1969 Dodge Charger?

tan top

there are a few aftermarket ones out now , i have Addco bars front  rear ,  but hotchkis ..seam a good  bar , & hollow  ..= less weight  !
firm feel do a good rear bar ..mounted similar to a stock E body rear bar , think i might change to this bar my self  :-\

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Rolling_Thunder

Hotchkis makes kick ass front and rear bars...    the rear bar set up is also adjustable   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mike DC

Yeah.  You really don't wanna just slap one big thick new sway bar onto the car without a plan. 

The front & rear sway bars need to be matched to work in reasonable harmony with each other & with the rest of the spring/shock rates on the car.

Corellian Corvette

I like the firmfeel stuff. It's very well made, matched, and it looks like stock setups. Very good stuff!

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Hemidog

I went with Addco 1 1/ 8" in front and 7/8" in the back, but if they were available at the time i NEEDED them, I would have gone with the Hotchkis

bill440rt

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 12, 2009, 06:29:50 PM
Hotchkis makes kick ass front and rear bars...    the rear bar set up is also adjustable   :2thumbs:

:iagree:

Got a set on my '69. Fit like a glove. The front bar is HUGE. They are one of the few bars that are hollow. All of the bushings are greaseable and have zerk fittings. Powder coated gloss black.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

dodgey68

may i ask what about XV sway bars??
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

dodgey68

has any one fitted xv front and rear sway bars??
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

HPP

Except for the tubular bars, there isn't a whole lot of difference in most front sway bars regardless of vendor. The biggest difference will be in the mounting method or color of the paint. Some are copies of stock and mount in stock methods on stock locations which may require replacing lower control arms to look like stock. Some use different brackets that attach in non-original locations but at first glance appear no different than original. At the rear, there are two predominate types, frame hung and axle hung. The factory used frame hung bars on cars that did get them, a lot of aftermarket bars are axle hung for ease of installation. Despite the big difference in size, both styles of rear bars are very close in rate.

Prices also range greatly from a basic Addco package that you can find on Ebay for $100 that comes in a basic zinc chromate finish to the tubular Hotchkis units that are $750 for the set and look like patio art with their finish and hardware. So for similar results, the biggest choice will come down to how much you have to spend, how you want them to mount, and how you want them to look. Tubular bars will save a few (less than 10) pounds off the nose compared to a solid bar. IMO, you receive bigger gains from using lighter wheels than you do from using a hollow bar.

Yes, the overall package should be considered if ultimate handling is the goal and then springs rates and roll couple percentages become critical items. However, I've found most enthusiasts simply want their car to feel better and don't necessarily want to get into the nuances of suspension tuning. As such, most Mopars can benefit from a  1.125 or larger front bar. Out back a good matching bar would be a .75 frame hung or 1.0 axle hung. I wouldn't advise going larger out back than you do up front unless you have some mondo sized torsion bars. At no time do you want a rear sway bar without a front bar, unless maybe your a drift racer.