News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil change

Started by Silver R/T, March 10, 2009, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you change oil yourself or take it to Jiffy's?

I do my own work, nobody works on my shit
56 (84.8%)
I'm lazy, I take it down to Wally's
5 (7.6%)
Who said oil needs to be changed?
5 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Silver R/T

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 11, 2009, 05:41:28 PM
For those that do it yourself, where do you take the old oil?

I used to do all mine, but I had a place to take the oil - a friend of my Dad had a shop.

Local schuks has recycling drums, they take it for free, of course you can make a profit by selling to guys that run oil heater in their homes
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Most auto parts stores around here will take used oil for free. I change my own most of the time but I had it done on my daily driver when I had a coupon for alignment, tire rotation/balance, air filter, and oil change.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on March 11, 2009, 07:33:08 PM
Most auto parts stores around here will take used oil for free. I change my own most of the time but I had it done on my daily driver when I had a coupon for alignment, tire rotation/balance, air filter, and oil change.

Troy

:yesnod:

Same here in Califas. Most auto parts stores (Autozone, pep boys, Kragen/Checkers/O Reilly) and even oil change places like Jiffy Lube take in any used oil. I don't know if it's a state law or not, but I suspect it is.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on March 11, 2009, 07:33:08 PM

Troy

I'll take all the used oil you wanna send me  LOL

we have an oil clean burn furnace in the shop here at the yard , we love used oil .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger_Fan

We have a huge waste oil container at my work, so I just add mine to it every six months or so. A big truck comes along once a month & sucks it all out...measures the amount of gas, water & antifreeze in the mix & sends the company a check for the difference.

I know Checker takes waste oil free, but they may snivvle if it's in a milk jug...that's when you just come back after they close & leave it by their door. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

72chargerSE

You can't trust people with oil changes nowadays!!! ONLY person who changes oil, washes, repairs,  etc..to our vehicles is ME.

bull

I used to do all mine, but I had a place to take the oil - a friend of my Dad had a shop.

Box it up and UPS it to Gowdy. He'll dump it out on the lawn with the Drano and gasoline.

Martian R/T

I have a buddy here at the dealership do it for me, he is the only one that I trust besides me to change the oil, there never seems to be any time to do it myself anymore, I got a call the other day from a repair shop pricing an engine for a late model Chrysler, it just so happened that they took it to Wally World for an oil change and they didn't drain the old oil, they just put 5 new quarts in on top of the old and sent the customer out the door, sad thing is I know the guy who works for them and he has the mechanical ability of a sponge, very scary but I got a good laugh at that. :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

dodgecharger-fan

I just did some digging and found that my only option is the Hazardous Waste drop offs run by the Regional Government - they only happen once a month during the nicer months.

Next best thing I could find is that Jiffy Lube will take the empty containers, but not used oil.  :shruggy:
You'd think they'd be happy to take it, but I guess if they can't control what goes in to their holding tanks, they don't want to deal with it. All it would take is one guy to bring some oil mixed with something else to mess up the batch. Sure, it can be separated, but it costs...

I gotta find someone with a waste oil furnace.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on March 12, 2009, 11:10:05 AM

Box it up and UPS it to Gowdy. He'll dump it out on the lawn with the Drano and gasoline.

lol that is good one lol

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 12, 2009, 04:04:27 PM.

Next best thing I could find is that Jiffy Lube will take the empty containers, but not used oil.  :shruggy:
You'd think they'd be happy to take it, but I guess if they can't control what goes in to their holding tanks, they don't want to deal with it. All it would take is one guy to bring some oil mixed with something else to mess up the batch. Sure, it can be separated, but it costs...
That's when I just go back after they've closed & leave it on the door step. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1969chargerrtse

Nobody touches my Charger and I use the Valvoline ZR1 oil with the zinch.  As for the Honda Pilot, I take it to a quick lube.  I just started this last year for the first time.  I'm 52 and getting tired of being on my back.  I do go longer on oil changes.  I used to change my oil no longer than 2,500 miles max.  Now, after what I've learned about oil and how things are better built today, 10,000 miles wouldn't scare me in the least.  I normally go at about 6,000. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: bull on March 12, 2009, 11:10:05 AMBox it up and UPS it to Gowdy. He'll dump it out on the lawn with the Drano and gasoline.

If you say so...  :nana:
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

Tilar

I take it to the local service station. Yes we still have one around here. They charge me roughly $32 for my suburban. He changes the oil and filter, Checks ALL fluid levels including the transfer case and both differentials and tops any fluids off that may be low including the windshield washer fluid. He checks the air pressure in all the tires and sprays WD40 on all the door hinges and inside the door locks.  For that price it's like a sore peter, just can't beat it.

Now my equipment is another story, I do all the oil changes on them. I put all my used oil in a 55 gallon drum and use it when I need to burn brush.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TylerCharger69

The reason these oil change venues make money is  1.  They get their oil in bulk  and possibly the most crappy brand there is  (Pennzoil)  2.  Following up on number 1....they offer a particular brand of oil  and if you ask for something else...the price goes up.  3.  Those assclowns that work there work by the hour.  So if they do 10 oil changes  a day or 100 a day,   they still get paid the same  4. A lot of people have no idea how to do it themselves much less have any knowledge of the products that are being used.   For what it's worth.....I change my own oil.  My Oil of choice is conventional Castrol GTX....always been good to me.

Silver R/T

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 22, 2009, 05:18:57 PM
The reason these oil change venues make money is  1.  They get their oil in bulk  and possibly the most crappy brand there is  (Pennzoil)  2.  Following up on number 1....they offer a particular brand of oil  and if you ask for something else...the price goes up.  3.  Those assclowns that work there work by the hour.  So if they do 10 oil changes  a day or 100 a day,   they still get paid the same  4. A lot of people have no idea how to do it themselves much less have any knowledge of the products that are being used.   For what it's worth.....I change my own oil.  My Oil of choice is conventional Castrol GTX....always been good to me.

You've explained it pretty well. I wish more people would understand this, or maybe not. Afterall stupid people support our economy lol.
They do use cheapest oil, cheapest filter and they sell you stuff you dont need. After hidden taxes, fees, etc your $12 oil change goes all way up to $30 or more and $20 can be $50 easily

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

green69rt

I've always done my oil changes, anti-freeze, windshield wipers, tire changes or anything else that didn't require a computer expert or a scanner.   This is the time that I get under the hood or under the car and look around.  This is when I find a bad grease boot, or a bad belt, worn tires, bad brakes or all those other things that happen to cars but don't cause problems till too late.

TylerCharger69

Silver R/T....not to get off topic, but aren't you the one I sent the transmission brackets and linkages to about a year or two ago?...If so....did they work out??

Dodgecharger74

I change all my oil & repair evrething if it needs an engine brakes or anything else  I have 6 work trucks and 74 charger 85 short box cheby pic up another hot rod  66 dart convert 82 dodge pic up 440 and other misc stuff 
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

Silver R/T

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 24, 2009, 05:04:04 PM
Silver R/T....not to get off topic, but aren't you the one I sent the transmission brackets and linkages to about a year or two ago?...If so....did they work out??

Ive sandblasted them and painted them. They're still in the tool box. I just can't figure out how to put it all together myself. I was thinking about getting car to trans shop that rebuilt my trans. I didn't have parts at the time so I've had trans rebuilt anyways (it wouldn't even go in reverse) and now it's in garage getting body work done.Thank you again for parts.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

When I was younger I changed oil at a dealership, the bulk oil they bought was Havoline, as stated, oil changes is not a big profit item.....finding other problems is. So my main job was finding something else wrong to turn a $30 oil change into a 200-300 repair bill, as an incentive I got a commission off it.

Jason

MichaelRW

I do the Charger myself but take the other cars to a local oil changing chain. They have only 4 stores and their bulk oil provider is Chevron. I have been going to them for 15 years and have never had a problem. They never have tried to bamboozle me. I have seen the tech open the air filter cover, look at the filter and put it back in. The only time he tries to sell me a new one is if it is dirty. They also stock numerous other brands of oil in the plastic bottles. For example I use Motorcraft synthetic blend in my Aviator and Mobil 1 in the wife's BMW. They stock both.

A few of you have knocked Pennzoil. I don't use that brand but why are they considered so bad? If they meet the SAE standards they must be just as good.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

TylerCharger69

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 24, 2009, 06:29:15 PM
Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 24, 2009, 05:04:04 PM

Ive sandblasted them and painted them. They're still in the tool box. I just can't figure out how to put it all together myself. I was thinking about getting car to trans shop that rebuilt my trans. I didn't have parts at the time so I've had trans rebuilt anyways (it wouldn't even go in reverse) and now it's in garage getting body work done.Thank you again for parts.
Cool....I was wondering how they worked out....I'm sure theres an illustration in this forum somewhere on how they connect.    (Pssssst......we should probably discuss this in another topic....haha)

69rtse4spd

Do my own on the chargers, and all other cars when it is nice out. Use to take the other cars to a quick change place years ago, knew the guy & always pulled up a chair & watched. He passed away sold to another guy trusted him, did the same thing watched. He sold, and it seamed like they had someone different doing it all the time. Well they messed up the drain plug bolt, had to get a new one, but not the pan hole, have not been back since. Winter gets here, check the DODGE dealer for price, trust them & can always test drive some new cars while watting.