News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil change

Started by Silver R/T, March 10, 2009, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you change oil yourself or take it to Jiffy's?

I do my own work, nobody works on my shit
56 (84.8%)
I'm lazy, I take it down to Wally's
5 (7.6%)
Who said oil needs to be changed?
5 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Silver R/T

So I was thinking about how some people take their vehicles to jiffy lube, wal-mart, etc to $16 or $20. I buy my own filter/oil and I don't see how you cane make profit after spending ~$16 average on oil (non-synthetic, Napa brand) and then $5 filter. They must be getting very good discount on oil/filters if they can change it for people for $16 or whatever. Perhaps they use substandard parts?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

tan top

use to do all my cars & parents cars also  :yesnod:  .. now just get the main dealer to do a service every year  :yesnod: ..
as for the charger no one touches it  execpt me  :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

The jiffy lube near me uses Fram filters and Pennzoil, the two crappest products out there. I'm sure they get a big discount. They prey on women. My friends wife took her car for an oil change. They showed her some bad looking tranny fluid and antifreeze and recommended she change them. That oil change cost him over $200.00
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Just 6T9 CHGR

I let the dealer do the first one on the new cars because its free...after that its all me on all my cars...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparguy01

a girlfriend i had in high school went to a jiffy lube, and i got off early and met her over there. they walked out with this nasty old air filter, a rectangular one. I said thats not the filter from that truck. "oh it sure is!" i doubt it, its a 84 dodge ram. they have round filters.

ever since then i cant in good faith take my vehicles anywhere for oil changes. thats one reason i like my bronco, I dont even have to jack it up to change the oil. :2thumbs:

WingCharger

bull

It's fine if you have a place to do it but if you're a 19-year-old girl who's living in an apartment and it's 8 degrees outside...

I've had the Jiffy Lube-type places change my oil lately because the immobile Charger is hogging the garage right now. But I always take an OE Mopar filter with me and have them use it instead of the Fram. And I don't believe that Pennzoil is crappy. Maybe it is but you can easily find 10 people who will say 10 different brands are just as crappy.

Sublime/Sixpack

I do my own, that way I know it was done right.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mikesbbody

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on March 10, 2009, 07:21:04 PM
I do my own, that way I know it was done right.
couldnt agree more!

rusty lee

just changed my oil yesterday. with oil and filter was 15 bucks.  knowing I put the drain plug and filter on....  priceless

Ghoste

If it's under warranty I take it to the dealer but anything else I do here.  One local dealer does it cheap enough that it's almost worth getting the other vehicles done there too... almost.

ITSA426

I watched one of their clowns put some leaves from under the hood/cowl area onto my air filter and bring it to me saying I need a new one.  Also check your dipstick before you drive off.  I've seen them "forget" to put in the last three quarts of oil.  I quit using them a while ago.  I can do it just as poorly for almost nothing.

Ghoste

I seen places put in far too much as well which can be just as bad in different ways.

RECHRGD

Nobody touches the Charger but me.  But, a few years ago I took my truck into a Jiffy Lube for a quicky oil change.  I live off of a gravel road and always make sure my air filters are in good shape.  I had replaced the air filter just a few days before going to the Jiffy Lube.  Sure enough, the guy comes into the waiting room with an old greasy filthy filter and tells me that I needed a new one.  When I went off on him about trying to rip me off (in front of the other customers), he of course, denied it.  But when I told him I was going to call the cops, my filter miraculously reappeared.  I'm sure they lost more than just me as a customer that day.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Aero426

Don't forget that the oil anti-wear package formulations have now changed.   So the current grade SM oils the quick change places use, and "most" off the shelf oils are not friendly towards your flat tappet engine.  I believe there's a lengthly thread here on this board already.   If you have not looked at it, you should do so. 

Fitz73Chrgr

I used to be one of those "clowns" that worked at Jiffy Lube back in highschool.  I wasn't really one of the clowns, I was one of maybe 2 people who actually tried to to their job correctly.  I have seen them charge people for services they never performed many times...especially the transmission service.  If they can't get it hooked up right, they just won't do it.  I've seen guys just leave old oil filters on cars because they were too hard to get to.  From my first-hand experience, I would tell anyone to never take your car to a quick oil change place. 

As far as making a profit from a $15 oil change...they don't, especially when you take into consideration paying the employee (not that they paid well).  The profit comes from BSing people into buying services they don't need.  I always refused to lie to people to make a sale.  Hell, I wasn't getting paid on commission, why screw people out of their hard-earned money? 

Wal-Mart?  I wouldn't even consider that.  I've heard multiple stories of people's wheels falling off after getting new tires from Wal-Mart.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Ponch ®

I do my own when I can. Sometimes I just don't have the time to do it (like the next-to-last time...I found out I was going on a road trip 2 days before, and between work and other stuff, i had to take it in).  I actually just changed the oil on the 08. My buddy came over with his 07 Daytona, and we did both cars. The biggest advantage to DIY is cost. 7 qts of synthetic + the filter ran me just under $50. If I'd had it done at the dealer or a jiffy lube type place, it would have cost me between $80-$100.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger_Fan

I've only paid for someone else to do my oil change once...ever.

Last summer, some guy came around trying to drum up business for a local dealership, by offering pre-paid coupon books for their service center. The asking price was fairly high, so I shut him down. He counter offered enough that eventually the price of the total book got down the price I normally pay for the oil change coupons alone...so I bought one. The rest of the crap in there is essentially free now.

I still have yet to use it. :shruggy: I guess I'll give it to some family member for a B-day present, or something. :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 11, 2009, 10:46:07 AM
Nobody touches the Charger but me.  But, a few years ago I took my truck into a Jiffy Lube for a quicky oil change.  I live off of a gravel road and always make sure my air filters are in good shape.  I had replaced the air filter just a few days before going to the Jiffy Lube.  Sure enough, the guy comes into the waiting room with an old greasy filthy filter and tells me that I needed a new one.  When I went off on him about trying to rip me off (in front of the other customers), he of course, denied it.  But when I told him I was going to call the cops, my filter miraculously reappeared.  I'm sure they lost more than just me as a customer that day.   Bob

Its good that you caught that, and the guy got what he deserved when you chewed him out, but what did he possibly do to your engine after he went back into the shop area? Maybe a little oil dry or dirt off the floor into your crankcase just to get back at you?   Crap like that really happens.  Hope you kept an eye on him!

Neal_J

For the Charger, I do it myself. 

Other than that, my opinion seems to be in the minority here:  for my daily driver and the wife's, I take it to a local oil change place I've used forever and let them do it.  My time is valuable to me and I don't enjoying changing oil.   The extra $10 is worth it to me.

Neal

dodgecharger-fan

For those that do it yourself, where do you take the old oil?

I used to do all mine, but I had a place to take the oil - a friend of my Dad had a shop.

resq302

My town has an oil collection container at the towns recycling center.  Think it costs me like 50 cents per gallon or something.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Foreman72

i change my parents cars most of the time and the only time it goes someplace to get changed is in the winter
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Ghoste

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 11, 2009, 05:41:28 PM
For those that do it yourself, where do you take the old oil?

I used to do all mine, but I had a place to take the oil - a friend of my Dad had a shop.

I just take it out in the countryside somewhere and dump it in a drainage ditch along with any used up gasoline/draino cleaning solutions.  :nana:

Actually, the municipality has a place to take it.

Sublime/Sixpack

I take mine to the place I buy parts from. He has a guy that buys the used oil from him, and that guy uses it to heat his shop.