News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

11" front & rear brake assembly pics and parts needed, any sources?

Started by hemi68charger, March 09, 2009, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Does anyone have pictures they could post of a actual '68/'69 B-body brake assemblies with 11x3 front & 11x2.5 rears with the drums off? I'm in need of some components and wanna make sure I don't duplicate what I need. Aren't the brake bar/strut only used in the rear in conjuction with the emergency/parking brake lever or is there a strut/bar in the front as well? It's been way too long since I took this apart and I think there were some parts missing actually. I have a service manual, but prefer as well actual pictures of cars today. I believe my HD drum brakes had adjustable capability at all four corners? I just picked up the adjuster kits for all corners this weekend and the complete hardware kits. I believe I need the struts, two of the diamond-shaped shoe guide plates. For sure I need the rear left and right parking/emergency brake lever.

EDIT : I'm in need of the parking brake strut and anti-rattle spring. Along with that, I'd like to get 2 or 4 of the adjusters complete (includes the two main components and the hardened thin washer. I also need the two thick lower springs that hold the lower shoes together (star wheel lock spring. Finally, 4 wheel cylinder push rods.

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

rarefish

Troy, If you go with the original factory set up which was the manually adjusted brakes on R/T's, you will need to reuse the heavy spring that goes across the the bottom of the shoes. I see that you still have them in your photo. So far I have not been able to find any new replacements ones being sold anywhere. If you decided to use the self adjuster hardware kit, you will not need to reuse the two bottom heavy springs.
   You will only need the parking brake struts, levers and anti rattle springs in the rear brakes.    Jon....

tan top

forgot i had this picture ,  rear set up of my  original 11" manual adjusting , as i was taking  it apart for the resto ,  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

boys3rt

If you are still looking for parts? There is a place in Massachusetts called Alretta Truck Parts. They have an old inventory of some very hard to find brake parts. Ask for Geoff.

hemi68charger

Thanks guys.. As of now, I've found the majority of the parts I need except the left strut and parking brake lever. All else I have and have installed the right rear......

Cheers,
Troy

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PatrickPeeters

This Brake looks just like mine (and I'm planning to restore them)
I've seen some with self adjusting parts on them, could manual adjustment being convertered to automatic adjusting?
(just buying parts and putting them on)

What would be the difference between automatic and or manual?
Patrick  :punkrocka:

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 09, 2010, 04:52:11 AM
This Brake looks just like mine (and I'm planning to restore them)
I've seen some with self adjusting parts on them, could manual adjustment being convertered to automatic adjusting?
(just buying parts and putting them on)

What would be the difference between automatic and or manual?

This is another pic of the other brake setup, anyone knows the difference and if it conversion is possible?

Tom Q

I have nos bottom springs $15.00/pr+shipping, how many pairs do you need?

Do not use the self adjusters on the front and as for the rear on a 4 drum system, I prefer no self adjusters as well.
There is nothing wrong with those adjusters, besides they are made of unobtanium. I see some nice new ones in one of those pics-where did those come from???

Mopar parts
2260788: brake shoe guide plate, 11" brakes ss to J3201032 -that's the diamond shaped part in the pic
2260787: wheel cyl push rod, 2/wheel all drum brakes
2533822: parking brake lever strut spring, inside brake drum 11" brakes ss to 4773942
4436773: Brake hardware pkge 11" brakes

If you do not have shoes made with a sintered metallic material you need to pm me or you are wasting your time.  Same for you JB, there are shoes avail to STOP the car. Everyone that has received the upgrade raves about their brakes. No more calling ahead to stop.

PatrickPeeters

The pic with new stuff is not mine, so can't anwsers any question about the pic, it's a example pic from another member which I use to show what I mean....
Myself:
Got one 68 with disc in the front.
Got one 69 with drums in ther front.

Would I need them or would it be unnessessary to put them on?

Quote from: Tom Q on November 14, 2010, 07:00:07 PM
I have nos bottom springs $15.00/pr+shipping, how many pairs do you need?

Do not use the self adjusters on the front and as for the rear on a 4 drum system, I prefer no self adjusters as well.
There is nothing wrong with those adjusters, besides they are made of unobtanium. I see some nice new ones in one of those pics-where did those come from???

Mopar parts
2260788: brake shoe guide plate, 11" brakes ss to J3201032 -that's the diamond shaped part in the pic
2260787: wheel cyl push rod, 2/wheel all drum brakes
2533822: parking brake lever strut spring, inside brake drum 11" brakes ss to 4773942
4436773: Brake hardware pkge 11" brakes

If you do not have shoes made with a sintered metallic material you need to pm me or you are wasting your time.  Same for you JB, there are shoes avail to STOP the car. Everyone that has received the upgrade raves about their brakes. No more calling ahead to stop.

ChargersETC..ETC..

I've been searching the internet and I can't find the bottom lever return spring .It's the spring by the slack adjuster gears used on 11x3 brakes without slack adjusters.
Looks like a s shape the hooks face oppisite directions.Looks like all the parts stores have is the drum hardware kits for use with slack adjusters. Do I have to try and match the old springs or has anyone found a part # for the auto parts stores to use? like Napa etc..
to order a spring hardware kit or the springs alone.Thanks

Budnicks

I'm not positive, but maybe Dr.Diff has the kits for self adj. drum brakes, thought I saw themthere offerd as an option on his rear axle combos...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ChargersETC..ETC..

Well I think I know the key to finding the bottom lever return spring now. Look for older parts like at least 1967 and older. I tried a 1967 B 100 van because the spring looked the same pictured in a Chilton repair manual but can't find that either so I searched ebay auctions for brake hardware tried 1957-63 Ford and the F 100 pickups have the same style   " S " hook spring but not sure about the spring size.I tried 1952 threw 1958 Buick and that " S" hook spring looks the same.

The actual 1968 Dodge Charger  11x 3  bottom lever return spring
measures about 1" 5/8" long x 5/8" wide at the coils
the " S " hooks at each end of the spring coils are about 3/4"

I guess it's worth a try to check out these hardware kits at the parts houses to see if the    " S" hook springs are the same size.
I bet theres a car brake hardware kit that uses the same size spring as the know hard to find Chrysler parts used.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChargersETC..ETC..

I appreciate the help but it looks like bendix H412 is used with the slack adj system.
That offset spring looks like it's the one sold in most of the new hardware kits painted blue in a lot of kits.
I need the bottom lever return spring for use on early chargers without slack adjuster cable system used .The spring I need is S Shaped it holds the bottom drum brake shoes together it's placed above the adjuster gears.

I'm not sure what the modern brake shops would do maybee just add the later production slack adjuster systemto all 4 drums so you can use the parts that are readily available threw all the parts stores.But I heard there can be problems with the slack adj locking up etc..and wanted to stick to the orig manual adj system.Thanks

ChargersETC..ETC..

I'm checking 1958 brake hardware kit suppliers like ford gm caddilac edsel impla .The s hook springs look the same so I asked a few vendors to measure the springs . I hope the springs are universal size used by several diffrent mfgs over the years.

John_Kunkel

Your use of the word "lever" confuses the search, if you're looking for the spring that rides on the adjuster "wheel" the factory P/N is 2265203.

ChargersETC..ETC..

see hemi68chargers pic 
of what looks like a restored surf turqoise LL1 color car
the bottom spring in that picture seems to be unavailable in all the replacement brake hardware kits sold now.
I don't know if I used the right term to describe the bottom spring .
I hope this spring # turns up in a cross referance guide.Thanks

ChargersETC..ETC..

I can't find anyone selling the chrysler part #2262503 if thats the spring.

I asked about a 1959-71 dodge truck kit and a ebay seller said the s hook spring measured 2inches at the coil length alone.So maybee that was a kit for a 16 inch wheel system?

I don't know but I hope a 1/2 ton ford pu or car kit for a vehicle with 14 or 15 inch wheels might work??? Just need to find the correct S hook springs in whatever brand kit or bulk spring bin at auto parts store?

My old Chrysler S hook spring measures 3 1/4 inches long overall.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on January 27, 2012, 09:55:17 PM
I can't find anyone selling the chrysler part #2262503 if thats the spring.

Try the correct number, it's 2265203.

Collectors Auto Supply probably has it:

http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/search/search.asp

ChargersETC..ETC..

Sorry I typed the part # in wrong. It looks like they list 2265203 but I guess it's a phone for more info deal I don't know I haven't ordered anything there before.

I was looking for springs on the internet a found some that look like there close by searching useing 3 1/4" extension spring but... I don't know if there automotive grade.
I compared a slack adjuster bottom spring to the manual adj spring .
slack adj spring coil is 3/4" round while manual adj spring is 5/8" round coil
Theres a few springs listed that seem close to the old specs if there automotive grade ?
Autozone #40675
3 1/4 " x 3/4 " extension spring
$9.99 special order

Home depoet
handyman springs 3 1/4 x5/8"
Model # SP9618 internet # 100196071
$ 4.19 each

Allis Chalmers wd-45 farm tractor brake spring

doorman #40671

I'm trying to find a part # and  auto parts supplier that stocks this spring all the time so anyone can fix there brakes without worrying about the discontinued spring not being available without placeing a special order and waiting for it to arrive.

Disclaimer -Do NOT! use any of those springs I listed above they are most likely NOT! the same automotive grade as the original brake spring and could fail during brakeing .
It is just a rough attempt to locate suitable matching springs

ChargersETC..ETC..

I asked someone selling a NOS 1955-65 Chevy front brake extension spings to measure the springs.It looks like they won't work too long! but it was worth a try
The chevy springs measured 3 3/4"overall with 5/8" wide coil 2 1/2" long spring coil
and 5/8" long hooks again close but just too long of spring compared to the old chrysler springs.Still hopeing to find a spring hardware kit thats easy to get that uses the same length springs.
Some venders do not post any pictures of the springs so it's not easy to compare to the old spring.

FLG

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on January 28, 2012, 10:36:42 PM
Disclaimer -Do NOT! use any of those springs I listed above they are most likely NOT! the same automotive grade as the original brake spring and could fail during brakeing .

I very much doubt if auto brake springs are any special grade, especially the one in question that stretches very little on each application.

ChargersETC..ETC..

I sent a email to collectors auto supply asking about the spring availability still waiting for a reply.

I searched Rock Auto and everywhere else I could think of but I can't find anyone selling this spring anywhere anymore . That's why I'm trying to find a equivlent replacement spring that's readily available.

The spring has got to be a certain wire gauge so the coil holds up and doesn't uncoil or break
it may have been heat treated or tempered steel or something?
I don't know if the Dorman or Home depoet springs would work or not ?
Here are some pics of the original