News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator Pulley Swap

Started by ktneifert09, December 17, 2009, 10:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktneifert09

I have to change my alternator pulley from single to double to match my AC car.  I pulled the single pulley but am trying to figure out if there's a way to press on the new double one without going to a machine shop or something.  Any tips on this?
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

John_Kunkel

The alternator must be split in halves so the rear of the rotor can be supported while pressing on the pulley.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 17, 2009, 05:00:15 PM

The alternator must be split in halves so the rear of the rotor can be supported while pressing on the pulley.
Thanks for the heads up John as Ill be doing this sway soon as well :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Actually - you were lucky to get the single pulley off without mangling it while your alternator was still together.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had no trouble getting the double pulley off when I finally used the right tool.  Screwed up the first pulley I had by trying to grab it under the pulley instead of using the righ puller that grabs it by the center hub.
As you know the "correct" double pulley had the hub that is recessed inside the pulley & does not stick out like a lot of the newer stuff does...

This is the puller I used

And the double pulley
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 18, 2009, 08:13:44 PM
I had no trouble getting the double pulley off when I finally used the right tool.  Screwed up the first pulley I had by trying to grab it under the pulley instead of using the righ puller that grabs it by the center hub.
As you know the "correct" double pulley had the hub that is recessed inside the pulley & does not stick out like a lot of the newer stuff does...

This is the puller I used

And the double pulley

I confess - I did the same on the "first" one.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Just 6T9 CHGR

The dang thing "unfolded" like an accordion :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ktneifert09

I used a puller like you show and the single pulley came right off.  The measurements show that the double pulley is an interference fit of about 0.001 with the shaft.  By my calculations, if I put the shaft in the freezer and put the pulley in the oven to 350, I should eliminate this interference and be able to get it on with just a little bit of force.  I'm going to give it a try - what the heck, worst case I buy a new alternator and with the money I'm putting into this car, that's the least of my worries.  I'm not even sure that the alternator I have works either so I might end up with a new one anyways.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sounds like a plan...let us know if it works....will save time on disassembling
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ktneifert09

Worked like a charm.  I put the shaft in the freezer for about 20  minutes, put the pulley in the oven at 350 and when I took them out, I barely had to hammer it on.  Certainly no harder than the bearing goes on inside the alternator. However, I don't know if the alternator works still - it may not have worked in the first place.  Unfortunately we are many weeks of body work before we can start the engine - too much welding to do to have fuel around.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Cool....did you just throw the whole alternator in the freezer?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ktneifert09

No, I took it apart as far as I could and then put the shaft and the armature in the freezer.  Didn't see anything there that could get really messed up.

General_01

My cousin put the March single groove pulley on by filling a coffee can with water and heating up the water with his torch in the garage. He dropped the pulley in and let it heat up for a while and then put it on the shaft. It went on the shaft a ways, but he still needed to heat up the pully a little with the torch on the backside of the pulley and a little tapping. Worked great, but he is used to doing things like this. He used to work as a deisel mechanic and then as a welder and machinist in a hydraulic shop.

By the way, the pulley still looks great. That's why he used the water. To much direct heat would probably have warped the pulley and/or ruined the finished look of the pulley.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had my pulley powdercoated so I know it can withstand the 350ยบ in the oven for a while.
Still have a while to do mine though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T