News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear window inside felt to new upper rear bolster (door panel)

Started by hemi68charger, March 10, 2009, 07:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

I have a friend who's wife gave him a set of Mike's (BE&A) new upper door pads for his '69 Charger R/T. I was curious if anyone had a proven method of securing the window felt chrome strip back onto the new bolster? I know from the factory, they were stapled... I'm sure I can figure something out, but would rather get feedback from someone who's been there,,, done that.............  My gut is with tiny screws that'll be hidden within the felt material, yet won't touch the glass,, (obviously)

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dennis K

I used pop rivets on mine and had excellent results. If I had to do it again the only thing I would do differently is put the front rivet a little farther back so it wouldn't show with the door open. I simply colored it black with a marker and it is barely noticeable now. I used a couple pairs of vise grips, pushed the stainless strip firmly against the viny, clamped it in place, drilled a 1/8" hole through the weatherstrip and the steel lip on the pad, installed a pop rivet, then moved the vise grips and did that every 3" or so until I had a row of 10 rivets in each pad.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dennis K on March 10, 2009, 11:02:46 PM
I used pop rivets on mine and had excellent results. If I had to do it again the only thing I would do differently is put the front rivet a little farther back so it wouldn't show with the door open. I simply colored it black with a marker and it is barely noticeable now. I used a couple pairs of vise grips, pushed the stainless strip firmly against the viny, clamped it in place, drilled a 1/8" hole through the weatherstrip and the steel lip on the pad, installed a pop rivet, then moved the vise grips and did that every 3" or so until I had a row of 10 rivets in each pad.

:yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Corellian Corvette

IIRC, my window felt kit came with really small, black #6 screws. I just drilled and used those.

Hemidog

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 17, 2009, 01:34:33 AM
IIRC, my window felt kit came with really small, black #6 screws. I just drilled and used those.
Ditto!