News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a measurement from bottom of k-member to top of valve covers...

Started by bull, March 01, 2009, 08:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm trying to figure out if I can install my engine from below without a hoist so I need to know the distance from the bottom of the k-member to the highest point on a 383 without a carb or intake (I'm sure 440 is probably about the same). What I'm thinking of doing is raising the car up off the floor far enough to roll the k-member/engine assembly under it on a short dolly and then raise it into position with a cherry picker. This measurement will help me determine the height of the dolly and the distance the car needs to be off the floor. The jack stands I have go to 24" when fully extended and the point of contact would be the frame rails below the firewall area. At that point I believe the clearance under the front would actually be more than 24" according to some rough estimates I've done already.

Thanks.

Here's a stolen picture for reference...

b5blue

Bull I just checked my 70 with a 440, 21 inches, from the center of the K frame to the bottom of the valve cover. Neal

bull

b5blue

Isn't that how the factory did it? (Of course much higher for them)

keepat

Bull,
I put the back wheels up on some 8" wood block and I used a small motorcycles lift with some wood block under the radiator support to jack the car up just high enough that the intake cleared the wheel well. I also used my engine lift base to hold the K frame, motor, & trans.
Pat

bull

Thanks, Pat. That's very similar to what I was thinking of doing except I was hoping to jack up all four corners of the car at once. Do you remember how much clearance you needed to scoot the engine underneath?

keepat

It was about 38" to the valve cover, sorry I didn't note exact the height at the time.
Pat

bull

Rolling_Thunder

just remove the rear tires and put some jack stands just ahead of the leaf spring perch...    use a large "C" clamp on the framerail to prevent sliding - then your car is not on a fulcrum...     lift the front and and slide the engine/trans under the front and slowly lower it down.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull