News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

prep for powder coat question

Started by 6d9 charger, March 03, 2009, 03:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6d9 charger

i am about to have a push bar powder coated , my question is what should i use to clean up the welds and the slag .
also when i grind down the welds on the flat section , can i fill in and smooth with plastic filler  ( very light ) , and should i prime the metal before applying filler and should i re apply primer over filler before power coat .

sorry for the multi part question.

Silver R/T

It's best to leave metal bare for powdercoat, if you can sandblast it would be best
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

6d9 charger

would the grind marks show through on the finish  i knocked the welds down with a grinder than cleaned up with a small 3" sanding disc  kind of smooth , but the finish is going to be black .

royt440

The filler has to stand up under 400 degrees.  My local powdercoater said JB Weld works great.  Minor scratches depend on what type of finish/color.  Some candy colors will have up to 4 coats of powder so a lot of minor imperfections will not be noticed.

I think Gloss Black would just be one coat.  It might pay to spend a little time with some finer paper.  Be sure to ask about coverage before they apply the powder.  They will have to remove all the primer or paint or plastic filler before spraying the powder.

6d9 charger

great , thanks for the info .

i will clean it up  with fine  paper and wheels , than have it sand blasted .

Drop Top

Any powder coating company that I have ever delt with dose there own sand blasting, regardless if it has already been done or not. Just tring to save you a bit of time and money. Yes, JB Weld holds up very well under powder coating. I have used it on frames quite a few times.