News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

All up in my grill

Started by plum500, February 28, 2009, 05:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plum500

Hope to finish the entire bumper/grill setup this weekend. In what always seems to be an effort to create more work :) I decided to finish the hideaways like this. I had to grind these down quite a bit to get rid of some pitting, and then, once started, to get rid of the chrome. I actually like what I ended up with, and went with a Scotchbrite finish topped off with some wax for protection (Future floor wax on the end of a rag on your finger works great).

Anyhoo. I had painted the center line with a texture paint, as was there. I went with a gray, and it really wasn't grabbin me, went over that with black -- better, but still missing something. So, I had some anodized trim from Home Depot lying around. I completely sanded off the anodizing and hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and wax to match the outer edge of the actual grill, and mounted it in with trim/badge tape.

I'm pretty stoked about getting the whole thing done now....Here's some pics.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

what did it look like before the trim from home depot??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Foreman72

that looks awesome...i'd love 2 hear more about it...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

plum500

Thanks for the comments :cheers:

Here's a couple before pics....

mauve66

NOW THATS REALLY AN IMPROVEMNT, shows how much work you did
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger1973

That kicks ass I cant wait to see it all together.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Awesome! What an improvement! What did you use for the black paint?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

plum500

Thanks for all the comments on this! :cheers: Taking a bit longer than expected -- still have one more panel to make a strip for then I should be able to get it together. Takes about a half hour of sanding with 220 by hand to do em'. Also going through all the figuring of how to put the grill together. Seem to have some motor issues, but that's another story.

For the record, there's a spec in that top photo -- not a defect in the paint :) Went back over it with a fine tooth comb to check. I tried a number of black paints for finishing these, ended up with Tremclad professional - dries really fast, even, blends well, sticks great, readily accessible for me, price is right, and touches up great. Has a great sheen too, no shine, but not a chalky flat. The rest of the grill components, brackets, back of the doors etc, are done with Dupli-color low gloss black.

69*F5*SE

plum500

It's getting there... still need to mount the driver's side in there...

Silver R/T

What paind are you using for silver?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger1973

That looks amazing so far

plum500

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 03, 2009, 08:33:46 PM
What paind are you using for silver?

The outline of the grill pieces are all just the natural sanded/Scotchbrited pot metal with some wax. Strips in the middle too -- just sanded, Scotchbrite and wax.

The surrounds are done with Dupli-color. I used the Dupli-color chrome stuff on the inside of the surrounds, and then clear coat, which gets rid of the shine/chrome effect of the paint and turns gives a nice durable gray -- while not textured like they were, the color is really close, and I like the finish better. The outline of the surrounds is done with Dupli-color high-heat (1200°) manifold/exhaust paint -- chrome/silver -- seems to have held up great with all the handling etc.  :cheers: