News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Power Steering Pump Do I Need

Started by tricky lugnuts, February 27, 2009, 02:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tricky lugnuts

Hey guys. Sorry for the stupid question.

I've got a 1971 440 engine in my 1971 Charger SE. The engine should be equipped with AC but is not at present.

Right now I have a small block power steering pump "rigged" up to the engine with some "homemade" brackets. It works but it looks terrible and things are starting to squeal a bit.

For a spring/summer project I'm looking to acquire the proper power steering pump and brackets for my 1971 application (anybody have a working unit for sale?) but I'm not sure what exactly I need.

I know there are Saginaw pumps and Federal pumps, and several different styles of pulley. Basically I want the "right" one for my car. Anybody out there know exactly what it is I need? Any good places to get it? Also, will the hoses from my small block pump work on a big block pump?

Best and thanks in advance,

Tricky Lugnuts

maxwellwedge

Saginaw is the right one (oval neck, small cap). There are people selling re-pop brackets that are not bad. You should be able to find the whole deal from any big block.

tricky lugnuts

Back N Black

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on March 01, 2009, 11:48:15 AM
Thanks -I'm going to start looking.

UAP/NAPA sells the Saginaw pump for $85 and you can get the brackets from a number of vendors on e-bay for $50.

tricky lugnuts

Thanks a bunch guys - I'm on it. Got to make that Charger stop squealing on turns! :coolgleamA: